Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking Doucoure specifically and Silva's recent comments about the window not delivering what he/we needed.

Based on Silva's comments at the time of the signing (spoke of how Iwobi didn't score enough goals), I don't think he really wanted Iwobi...

Iwobi makes me worry about Brands. Terrible, terrible panic buy transfer.
I reckon he was c or d on the list

I don't disagree (although I also think we've misused Iwobi, he's never a winger)... but it seems really odd... when you read up on Brands and his time at PSV and before, he has no history, zero of making panic buys and particularly expensive (which is obviously a relative term) ones.

Combined with the fact that Iwobi came from Arsenal, it does make me wonder a bit whether there was pressure coming from the top to bring in a "big" signing, or even Iwobi specifically.

Adama Traore, Mauro Icardi, Thiago, Jordi Alba, Ansu Fati, Pique, Onana, Riqui Puig, Dani Olmo, Cucurella, Grimaldo, Marc Bartra. La Masia has still produced a ridiculous amount of players since.

Think Pique was the same time as Messi’s generation. Those players aren’t as good though as witnessed by the fact hardly any of them play for Barca any more. They’re supposed to have the best academy in the world and they struggle to get the same quality off the conveyor belt so why are Everton expected to? You can raise the quality of player you are producing slightly but you cannot ignore that most of the time a successful batch of academy players is because it’s a very good generation which might not be immediately repeated.

I don't disagree (although I also think we've misused Iwobi, he's never a winger)... but it seems really odd... when you read up on Brands and his time at PSV and before, he has no history, zero of making panic buys and particularly expensive (which is obviously a relative term) ones.

Combined with the fact that Iwobi came from Arsenal, it does make me wonder a bit whether there was pressure coming from the top to bring in a "big" signing, or even Iwobi specifically.

We signed him primarily as a winger though;
  • "The position we see him in is clear, coming from the left," said Silva. "He can also play behind the striker really well. He can even play on the right.
We paid a massive amount and then expected him to start scoring goals.
  • However, the Everton boss says Iwobi needs to find the net more regularly after scoring 15 goals in 148 appearances for Arsenal. "He is a strong player, good skills also, but one of the things I will be demanding from him is to start scoring more goals.
That level of incompetence actually makes me angry. Bloody useless.

Better to sign nobody on that list.

Said as much at the time.

How anyone could watch Iwobi at Arsenal and think "That's the man we're going to spend big on" is beyond me.

Our last window was as bad as any under Steve Walsh.

Iwobi is every bit the player i thought he was at Arsenal....clueless.

Kinda hoped it might be one of them that you don't realise what hes good at until you watch him every week....nope

Still cant actually believe we bought him

Was thinking Doucoure specifically and Silva's recent comments about the window not delivering what he/we needed.

Based on Silva's comments at the time of the signing (spoke of how Iwobi didn't score enough goals), I don't think he really wanted Iwobi...

I tend to agree mate. I think Silva looked at it after the 18/19 season and saw we got bullied in midfield quite alot. I think he was prepared to loose Idrissa and wanted two big powerful, mobile, physical units in there to replace, Gbamin and Doucoure. Both would flank Gylfi. I think this was the plan.

------Doucoure - Gbamin

Zaha--------Gylfi----Richarlison

---------------DCL

Which has a nice balance to it.

Think we moved down the list and somehow Delph and Iwobi came, cautionary tale and lessons to be learned. There needs to be a threshold you dont allow yourself to go to. Hopefully Brands learns that. It was also a bad move to let Idrissa go, while we didnt have his replacement in the bag and here we are - both positions needing strenghting again.

Weird thing about Iwobi is, im sure we could have gotten him on loan for the year.

Last edited:
  • "The position we see him in is clear, coming from the left," said Silva. "He can also play behind the striker really well. He can even play on the right.
  • However, the Everton boss says Iwobi needs to find the net more regularly after scoring 15 goals in 148 appearances for Arsenal. "He is a strong player, good skills also, but one of the things I will be demanding from him is to start scoring more goals.
Didn't he actually have really good stats at Arsenal in terms of chances created? We've seen precious little of that here I think (although I haven't seen the numbers tbh)

EDIT: Just looked it up. He created 2 "big chances" all season. Which is 1 less than Mason Holgate. Season before he created 10, which put him top 15 in the Prem.

Last edited:

Not sure I agree. Yes, he has not been great, but he has played for a woeful underperforming team. Often out of position.

It also depends why he was purchased. We know Moshiri wanted Zaha for silly money. If Brands response was that because of FFP it would make sense to get e.g. Iwobi for half the price he was probably right.

Iwobi could also be a Moshiri signing. We know how fond of Arsenal he has been. We also know that his friend Kia Joorabchian represented Arsenal when Iwobi was sold.

Adama Traore, Mauro Icardi, Thiago, Jordi Alba, Ansu Fati, Pique, Onana, Riqui Puig, Dani Olmo, Cucurella, Grimaldo, Marc Bartra. La Masia has still produced a ridiculous amount of players since.

Of course, but they have a direct catchment of 10 million people with little competition (and considerable reach over the rest of Spain as well). It's the Southampton factor on steroids...

I'd still say they are behind Madrid though in terms of producing young players.

I tend to agree mate. I think he looked at it after the 18/19 season and saw we got bullied in midfield quite alot. I think he was prepared to loose Idrissa and wanted two big powerful, mobile, physical units in there to replace, Gbamin and Doucoure. Both would flank Gylfi. I think this was the plan.

------Doucoure - Gbaman

Zaha--------Gylfi----Richarlison

---------------DCL

Which has a nice balance to it.

Think we moved down the list and somehow Delph and Iwobi came, cautionary tale and lessons to be learned. There needs to be a threshold you dont allow yourself to go to. Hopefully Brands learns that. It was also a bad move to let Idrissa go, while we didnt have his replacement in the bag and here we are - the position needing strenghting again.

Weird thing about Iwobi is, im sure we could have gotten him on loan for the year.

But we did have his replacement in the bag.

He just ended up being a crock.

Better to sign nobody on that list.

Said as much at the time.

How anyone could watch Iwobi at Arsenal and think "That's the man we're going to spend big on" is beyond me.

Our last window was as bad as any under Steve Walsh.
Yeah it was a dire window. I suspect the drive to penny pinch on top targets comes from the amount of overpaid white elephants we already have on the wage bill.

I’d like to hope with an open cheque book Brands might be able to get deals done quickly. Still an awful lot of serious question marks about our recruitment.

I agree, we can only hope that either he improves dramatically or we find another club for him, although that would mean a huge financial loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.