Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a few different videos and he stayed on his feet a lot which I like. He's a powerhouse for 22 with fantastic upper body strength and really good pace too. He and Holgate would certainly allow us to play a high line more often if we want to press teams. He reminds me of a left footed Vincent Kompany, and any left footed addition to our current squad is very welcome.

My concern, as always, is that we tend to judge our defenders by what they do badly, rather than what they do well. These short videos rarely expose players weaknesses so I'm not sure if anybody on here has seen a lot of him in the French League and can give an extra insight in this regard.

There does appear to be a lot of press around United at the moment, which is also worrying if true. But at the end of the day I do think CB is possibly our best position as regards existing personnel and other areas, including right back, are more in need of attention. It would be nice if we got him but I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't.
Sounds promising based on those views, nice one. Totally agree that other positions need prioritising - this would be in the ‘bonus’ category for me too

So a bedwetter can be a weasel but a weasel cannot be a bedwetter? Can a usual suspect be a member of a clique and vice versa?
Some Fascinating stuff on GOT at times. As well as learning stuff about John and Paul's musical partnership

It wasn't . Paul wrote the lyrics to We can work it out , this is what he said about it ;
"I took it to John to finish it off, and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: 'Life is very short. There's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.' Then it was George Harrison's idea to put the middle into 3/4 time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session."
It was released as a double A side with Day tripper written by John.
John wanted Day tripper to be the A side. He was over ruled by the management / record co.
We can work it out had the greater airplay.
Paul is also , more importantly , reputed to be a blue.

Spotter

Has Killjoy Kirkbride got onto this rumour yet?

FD90BB34-235F-46B7-9DBE-6650D69AD273.jpeg

Sounds promising based on those views, nice one. Totally agree that other positions need prioritising - this would be in the ‘bonus’ category for me too

and @Barnfred 55

Think we might need to look at it a bit differently in terms of prioritising positions etc.

Honestly think we need four areas all of equal measure – right wing, centre mid, right-back (though a lot depends on who the right winger is) and CB.

Push came to shove if we HAD to go for one first to get our no.1 target, it'd be CM for me.

However, I think there's obviously an argument to say we need 2 CMs (one more of a box-to-box, one more creative).

So, a long-winded point, but given Holgate was very impressive in the admittedly few games he played in a central midfield role, could signing another CB (especially one with pace like Gabriel) actually help us out in two positions.

Long-term, Holgate is a defender and with everyone fit he should 100% be playing there. But if we did sign a CB, it would actually kill two birds with one stone in a way, as Holgate could then always be that extra midfield cover if needed, giving full time to Gbamin to get back and - in an ideal world - acting as an alternative to whoever we hopefully bring in for that central midfield box-to-box role.

and @Barnfred 55

Think we might need to look at it a bit differently in terms of prioritising positions etc.

Honestly think we need four areas all of equal measure – right wing, centre mid, right-back (though a lot depends on who the right winger is) and CB.

Push came to shove if we HAD to go for one first to get our no.1 target, it'd be CM for me.

However, I think there's obviously an argument to say we need 2 CMs (one more of a box-to-box, one more creative).

So, a long-winded point, but given Holgate was very impressive in the admittedly few games he played in a central midfield role, could signing another CB (especially one with pace like Gabriel) actually help us out in two positions.

Long-term, Holgate is a defender and with everyone fit he should 100% be playing there. But if we did sign a CB, it would actually kill two birds with one stone in a way, as Holgate could then always be that extra midfield cover if needed, giving full time to Gbamin to get back and - in an ideal world - acting as an alternative to whoever we hopefully bring in for that central midfield box-to-box role.
Yeah that makes sense BT.

Given that we will undoubtedly have financial restrictions of some sort on us, we need to be selective. and perhaps a touch inventive, in our transfer activities. As an absolute minimum we need, in order of preference, a CM, a RW and a RB. After that I would say that the next player in should be another CM rather than a CB, but I wouldn't argue with bringing in somebody of Gabriel's quality at CB to free up Holgate for a CM position. I was very impressed with the lad when he played there last season, albeit it was usually cameo roles when we changed formation within games. I think he started 1 game there against United away and if I'm not mistaken he was a standout MOM in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.