2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he hasn't done well and there is no getting away from that (I posted recently in this thread saying that).

However, we have barely created as a team due to our midfield being incapable of operating with two central midfielders and us playing 4 4 2.

Fix that, create more, and Dom will score more.

He brings an awful lot to the team. Hopefully he keeps improving next season and will be more clinical.

We need Kean to improve and challenge his as well.

I agree we haven't created enough but let's get it right DCL has had more good chances since the restart than Richarlison and you can see the difference in abilities

We 1million % need better quality midfielders to create more but he should have had a couple of goals with the chances he has had

Spot on mate.

The only fans with an agenda are the ones who refuse to acknowledge the evidence right in front of them.

If he scores 15+ next season I'll concede whilst he isnt great he somehow scores us vital goals HOWEVER I highly doubt that will be the case when he has been awful for near 3 years at the club bar that 3 month purple patch.

I mean how can you say he's improved when he has gone 9 games without a goal? The whole team has been average since the restart but that hasnt stopped Richarlison getting 2-3 goals in those 8-9 games.

I think he has improved, he’s getting goals which last season was badly missing from his game. But the second sentence in bold is dead right, the whole team has been mainly poor since restart, and DCL has had his chances to score and not taken them. I said after the midweek game that he had a chance to score and to assist and fluffed them both, we could and should have won that game 3-0, and in narrow games that could cost us next season.

Two Everton strikers score 15 goals in a season, both have had periods where they haven’t scored, both are in their early 20s. One is English, one Brazilian, guess which one gets constantly belittled

I agree we haven't created enough but let's get it right DCL has had more good chances since the restart than Richarlison and you can see the difference in abilities

We 1million % need better quality midfielders to create more but he should have had a couple of goals with the chances he has had

Yeah, Richie is lethal.

Hopefully DCL continues to improve on that front.

He has certainly improved on getting in to goal scoring positions.

Two Everton strikers score 15 goals in a season, both have had periods where they haven’t scored, both are in their early 20s. One is English, one Brazilian, guess which one gets constantly belittled

Richie has played a lot of the season from the left.

He is of a higher calibre than DCL (and that isn't knocking DCL who is decent and continuing to improve).

I don’t even think it’s nationality. If DCL had come in at the start of this season or had come up through the academy I think he’d be getting unanimously praised. What we have here is lots of people who have written him off not wanting to admit they might be wrong. Even worse they won’t even accept that it might take a few seasons to come to a conclusion on this so they might still be right but there’s the potential scenario that they are not, that DCL has improved as a player and in a formation that suits him under a great manager he can be a very good striker .No, they said he was rubbish, and now they want to discredit everything he’s done to prove that they were right on the Internet. I thought DCL wasn’t good enough and said it loads of times, there’s still weaknesses in his game now that I don’t like, but I’ll freely admit that this season has taken me by surprise I’m having to reassess my opinion on him. If he continues at this scoring rate then I’ll gladly say those early opinions of him I held were wrong. There’s quite a few though who won’t ever accept him being successful here because it means they got it wrong. He could be scoring 20 next season and they’ll be moaning about the type of goals.

The ultimate way to judge a CF is by their goals/finishing ability and DCL over 3 years is average in that regard.

He can head a ball? So can Andy Carroll/ Troy Deeney.

He works hard? So does Shane Long

He is a nice lad? So is Steven Naismith

Ultimately if we want to progress and challenge for the CL/Europe spots he can't be a guaranteed starter in the side.

How dare you compare Naismith to DCL.

Naismith could slot.

He's got 13 league goals this season

Just had a gander he started off with 3 goals in 15 = poor return

Then got 10 in 10 under Dunc and Carlo and went on a mad spell

And has now gone 9 games without even looking likely to score

So what youse are saying is a striker who turns up for 1/3 of the season is boss?

He shouldn't be sold and desveres to be in the squad but I would get a better striker in if we could myself, a sick spell in 10 games over his Everton career isn't enough to change my mind

You just hate wools mate.Or you‘re jealous your bird wants to shag him.

I WILL NEVER ADMIT HE IS CRAP

I don’t even think it’s nationality. If DCL had come in at the start of this season or had come up through the academy I think he’d be getting unanimously praised. What we have here is lots of people who have written him off not wanting to admit they might be wrong. Even worse they won’t even accept that it might take a few seasons to come to a conclusion on this so they might still be right but there’s the potential scenario that they are not, that DCL has improved as a player and in a formation that suits him under a great manager he can be a very good striker .No, they said he was rubbish, and now they want to discredit everything he’s done to prove that they were right on the Internet. I thought DCL wasn’t good enough and said it loads of times, there’s still weaknesses in his game now that I don’t like, but I’ll freely admit that this season has taken me by surprise I’m having to reassess my opinion on him. If he continues at this scoring rate then I’ll gladly say those early opinions of him I held were wrong. There’s quite a few though who won’t ever accept him being successful here because it means they got it wrong. He could be scoring 20 next season and they’ll be moaning about the type of goals.
I agree mate.

It's hard to believe that some people would rather see a young Everton player fail than be proved wrong on an Internet forum

I think part of it is that people have higher expectations of strikers than other positions, especially now that it's so rare to play two up top.

It's only really Richarlison, Digne and Holgate who could expect to start at a better team, but Calvert-Lewin comes under more scrutiny than the rest of the decidedly average players.

If you take away the 10 in 10 stretch from this season he’s scored 15 goals in 103 appearances. I think it’s perfectly fair to wonder if it was a purple patch until he starts doing it more consistently.

The arguments of the Dom fan club are interesting these days.

1. He’s scored 13 league goals this year. He’s prolific and improving. Just look at the goals.
2. After going 9 straight without scoring...it’s not about the goals. Don’t look at them.

He’s clearly improving but is he good enough for a side trying to break into the top 6? Not sure. He’s been bang average since the restart. Got a lot to prove next season.

If you take away the 10 in 10 stretch from this season he’s scored 15 goals in 103 appearances. I think it’s perfectly fair to wonder if it was a purple patch until he starts doing it more consistently.

The arguments of the Dom fan club are interesting these days.

1. He’s scored 13 league goals this year. He’s prolific and improving. Just look at the goals.
2. After going 9 straight without scoring...it’s not about the goals. Don’t look at them.

He’s clearly improving but is he good enough for a side trying to break into the top 6? Not sure. He’s been bang average since the restart. Got a lot to prove next season.
You've just made this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.