2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't have any options when he's on the ball, in fairness. He's trying to create space.

He's been poor of late, but he's not the biggest problem in the middle of the park.
Not sure about that pal, he has richarlison infront of him the best option there is

Not a revisionists as I've always thought some on here vastly over rated him. Last season we waited for 2 or 3 months for his injury to clear. When he played he have a couple of decent games. He was a nice passer of the ball and was definitely a lot more aggressive. But even then he was very much hit and miss. Gave a good performance at the Anfield derby then terrible ones like Fulham away. Home games he was ok,. Most away games went missing most of the time.
This year I'm struggling to remember any decent games. He had his injury which has affected him. He is still a good passer of the ball but he is very slow. Played better in the last 10 mins against villa when he was pushed up.
If keep.him.for next year as hopefully with better players around him in midfield he will perform better. If not try and get some money.for him

This, sadly. He’s never shown quality with any great consistency, even pre-injury.

He’s probably the least terrible of our midfielders, but that doesn’t make him good. If we can bring in a whole new midfield then bin him, otherwise keep him around as a squad player.

Hes frustrating to watch lately. His hollywood balls he was doing last season for fun are not coming off.

He should have had 2 assists v Villa so hopefully with a box to box next to him he can get in and around the box and start creating abit more. That goal he scored v Wolves last season was class but its like it was scored by a different player even pre-injury

Hes frustrating to watch lately. His hollywood balls he was doing last season for fun are not coming off.

He should have had 2 assists v Villa so hopefully with a box to box next to him he can get in and around the box and start creating abit more. That goal he scored v Wolves last season was class but its like it was scored by a different player even pre-injury

He hasn't got the legs to play in a two IMO. When there's two in the middle, you need to be able to get about the pitch - even if you're not the engine. Switching to a three in midfield would help see the best of him, like last year, with even someone playing attacking midfield there's more bodies there for him to have a bit more freedom.

But you're right, he misses Gueye but then again any midfielder would miss playing alongside him for his selfless running.

As poor as Gomes has been, particularly since the restart (although granted he was hardly playing amazingly before his injury either), I think he's a player who is certainly worth persisting with for another season.

The major concern for Gomes though is that he has absolutely no place in a midfield 2. I can definitely see a place for him if Carlo brings back the diamond formation that he used at Milan and Chelsea but that remains to be seen.

He'll improve. Needs a better midfield partner, as well as getting himself properly fit again.

Rightly or wrongly, I weirdly suspect that he was one of the players who probably wasn't too pleased that the season restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.