Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical (assuming we don't want test the boundaries of FFP after today):

Would you sell Richarlison for and Digne for a combined 150M if it allowed us to clear out of Pickford, Siggy, Bolasie, Sandro, Bernard, and Tosun without penalty?

I think I would. The club needs a reset desperately.

How much do we get for the tat?Or is that 150m all in?

Either way, yes.

Pace
Physical strength/power
Relentless work rate/stamina
A burning desire to win/absolutely hate losing
Never, ever quit

Any and every outfield player we sign must as a minimum have all of these attributes. We need to build the core of a physically competitive and mentally strong side by finding our modern Southall, Ratcliffe, Reid and Gray to stiffen the spine, set the tone and raise the bar for the whole squad.

We can realistically only add 3-4 so we must prioritise players who help not only their own position but who set the tone and can help the coaches to develop what we already have. They may not always be the most technically gifted but they would be the right fit.

What we have now as we all know is a sorry assortment:

1. A few (too few) above average players who are coveted by better teams (Digne, Holgate, Richarlison)
2. A couple of players who have some attributes but who need to be better (or just stay fit) to prove they can be counted on as part of the future (DCL, Gbamin, Kean and maybe Kenny at a stretch)
3. A handful of young players needing to take a step forward (Gordon, Gibson, Branthwaite and maybe Baningime and Virginia at a stretch)
4. A skilful under-achiever in Gomes who just might might thrive if we can fix the rest of the spine but might also be in pot 8.
5. A few (too few) solid, unspectacular PL squad players like Keane, Lossl and, err...maybe Mina...of the type almost every club needs
6. A couple of veterans who can help players ‘get’ the club (Coleman, Baines) and transition to coaching
7. A large steaming pile of over-paid, often ageing or injured, worthless garbage (Sigurdsson, Besic, Tosun, Walcott, Delph, Bolasie...)
8. A smaller pile of slightly younger, less physically suspect garbage that might have some market value if moved now such as Iwobi, Bernard, Davies and anyone from 2. we decide cannot cut it

It isn’t much of a platform!

We've done it every year (or other year) - sell our best players.

Stones, Rom, Barkley (I know, different circumstances to an extent), Gueye (still fume at that tbh - especially when it's so blatantly obvious that that type of player is what we're missing atm - along with a lot of other things).
Problem is all the players that you quoted wanted away.

Burnley and Sheff Utd are built on good, honest hard-work. He'd be hounded out of either of those clubs in record time.

Yeah, but teams like that need to buy a player every now and then which has good creativity. We'll laugh at that but we do seem to ruin any player with an ounce of creativity.

The problem with moving Siggy now is that he would struggle to keep up with the pace of a Sunday league game. He'd have to go somewhere where he played as false nine/old school #10 or a stationary deep lying #6. That's what Rooney did to moderate success over here with D.C., but even that lost steam after the first couple of months. The MLS has become much more rapid in the last couple of years. Signing quick, young South American attackers in the new path of most teams, so I'd be surprised if that move happened. Maybe China?
He would do well in a free role in an Italian team. Where he can just pop shots and crosses off and not run much.

Problem is all the players that you quoted wanted away.

Yep and Richy and Digne are next unless Carlo pulls a rabbit out of arse next season. Cash in now while their value is the highest and rebuild. This team isn't doing shizz next year.

Since when? Couple of cups, a few Div 1 (old money) titles. Zip in Europe. Leeds as a successful club is a myth.
They've won three league titles including one since we last won the league. In any case, my point was established top flight clubs very often struggle to bounce back from relegation. Leeds qualified for the knockout rounds of the Champions League and were relegated 3 years later to then stay in the lower leagues for 16 years. I was replying to a poster who suggested relegation was a risk worth taking so that we could sell some players but we can make this into a pointless willy measuring contest between football clubs if you prefer. How about Villa, do they pass your criteria? Seven titles, seven FA cups and a European Cup? They spent years in the lower leagues as well.

While I agree that getting relegated is more of a possibility next season, the flexibility it would create would allow you to buy several younger athletic players to play around a spine of DCL, Gomes and Holgate. You would also still have Coleman, Davies, Iwobi, and Keane. Mina and Kean you can keep or sell. Would need to buy a new GK though.

I just think that we have to stop slapping bandaids on a failed project,, yet I do acknowledge that bring in Carlo in lessens the chance of that happening. Which is why I think the next couple of years will be just as terrible as the last few.

You don't try to fix a horse with a broken leg, you shoot it in the head and move on.

Jesus mate, digne and Richarlison are our spine, just because they don't play bye center, they're the only bit of backbone we have. Head and shoulders our best two players.

No as in that was his release clause. 53m.
Yeah I know what a release clause is... but a release clause doesn't "set" the price, it just limits the maximum someone could pay for a player. Doesn't stop a team playing less if the selling club agrees. So it still works as an example of a big money sale as @Grinch was saying. Just because he had a release clause doesn't stop it being relevant.

Yeah I know what a release clause is... but a release clause doesn't "set" the price, it just limits the maximum someone could pay for a player. Doesn't stop a team playing less if the selling club agrees. So it still works as an example of a big money sale as @Grinch was saying. Just because he had a release clause doesn't stop it being relevant.

Yes all big money sales but 1 is a release clause, 2 pre-pandemic.

I was merely pointing out they're not good indicators of prices not dropping as no one could bid any lower for Werner. Maybe without the release clause he'd have gone for less.

Why would you ever sell an in-demand player for less than his release clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.