2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure he mentioned at some point that now wasn't the time to work on new tactics and formations, but he has made us more solid at the back at least.

Hopefully next season we will see a change in formation, or we will get the correct players that suit the formation
I do not understand that. We really have nothing to play for, but at the same time the matches still have a certain kind of quality and intensity. Which makes this an excellent training period. Then you should use the period to train on how you want to play for next season. Then I think about how he wants us to play defensively against established attack, transition from attack to defense, transition from defense to attack, and our offensive pattern.

Next season, the pressure will increase on CA, and he will not get away with putting the whole team behind the ball, and get medium results. If you look at CA's career this decade, he has mostly delivered well the first season, but has not managed to recreate this. Now, of course, he will have time, but for me it is completely incomprehensible that he does not already start practicing playing style, etc.

The formation is not the most important thing by the way. There are many types of 4-4-2, 4-2-3, 3-5-2, etc. The most important thing is the principles of how you want to play, and you have to practice that. Tactics are also more fluid, and can vary more.

mate, you need to wake up, we are miles behind everyone, the worst team i have seen this season is Everton, the worst team I saw last season was Everton, we quite simply cannot attract top level players, if we could we would be signing Werner, Zayech, instead we are waiting on some half arsed Brazilian no one has heard of, while he is clearly waiting for something better, that's why we end up spending millions on second rate crap, the team is awash with them, and from what i have seen from Ancelotti so far he is out dated. past his best, that's why he is here.

Remember Man City getting Mancini, then signing Tevez, thats the equivalent of us

so the good times are coming ;)

I do not understand that. We really have nothing to play for, but at the same time the matches still have a certain kind of quality and intensity. Which makes this an excellent training period. Then you should use the period to train on how you want to play for next season. Then I think about how he wants us to play defensively against established attack, transition from attack to defense, transition from defense to attack, and our offensive pattern.

Next season, the pressure will increase on CA, and he will not get away with putting the whole team behind the ball, and get medium results. If you look at CA's career this decade, he has mostly delivered well the first season, but has not managed to recreate this. Now, of course, he will have time, but for me it is completely incomprehensible that he does not already start practicing playing style, etc.

The formation is not the most important thing by the way. There are many types of 4-4-2, 4-2-3, 3-5-2, etc. The most important thing is the principles of how you want to play, and you have to practice that. Tactics are also more fluid, and can vary more.

Is this a fair analysis / comparison you're making?

First, how many times has Carlo been brought in during the season? I've read somewhere he doesn't like to do this so I can't imagine it's many.

Second, how many times has he started the season with just the squad that he inherited? I.e. how many times has he not been able to make signings?

Third, how many times has he inherited squads better than Everton?

Yeah good points and maybe now that we are pretty much out the race for a European position he may do.

I guess it was a strange situation when they all came back from lockdown, they didn't have much training before the first game and no practice matches. He might not have wanted to over complicate things and concentrate on being solid defensively before overcomplicating things. We started off well and have been defensively good, only conceding two deflections and a through ball via a scuffed shot so I think his ideas were the correct ones.

I think we'll see more progression on the attacking side when this season finishes.

By watching the games? Crazy I know, but you could try it. We defended well against Liverpool, partly because we sacrificed all attacking intent and got everybody behind the ball, but that's fine. Norwich we defended fine, although it really is important to note that they are a side who've only scored 23 goals all season, and 1 in their last 9. Leicester we didn't defend well. We got away with it to an extent, and there was some good muck and nettles individual defending, but we didn't defend well as a team. Spurs offered very little going forward. Again the defending was generally fine in itself. Last night the defending was poor. They caused us all sorts of problems. Evidently you think because they only scored once it was great. I'm not sure Ancelotti would agree with you.
Good post. What we see with our eyes is far more valuable than stats. Ancelotti doesn’t look at stats before making his subs

I'm pretty sure he mentioned at some point that now wasn't the time to work on new tactics and formations, but he has made us more solid at the back at least.

Hopefully next season we will see a change in formation, or we will get the correct players that suit the formation

yeah it’s this for me. He has come in and kept things simple - we have looked much more solid defensively... he is obviously hamstrung by our midfield options.

You would hope that with the summer ahead, some new signings and more time to prepare that we will be better for it next year. I do think we’d like a different team altogether with a few quality additions in the middle.

Good post. What we see with our eyes is far more valuable than stats. Ancelotti doesn’t look at stats before making his subs

Literally the only stat I quoted is that we have conceded at less than a goal a game since the restart. My eyes tell me we're defending well, we aren't giving up lots of major chances. Pickford isn't getting peppered with shots. If you disagree, no problem. I don't know everything about football, far from it. Your mileage may differ, but I maintain our defence has been good since we came back.

Another stat would be that the only change Ancelotti has made to that back 4 since the restart was forced on him by Holgate's injury.

By watching the games? Crazy I know, but you could try it. We defended well against Liverpool, partly because we sacrificed all attacking intent and got everybody behind the ball, but that's fine. Norwich we defended fine, although it really is important to note that they are a side who've only scored 23 goals all season, and 1 in their last 9. Leicester we didn't defend well. We got away with it to an extent, and there was some good muck and nettles individual defending, but we didn't defend well as a team. Spurs offered very little going forward. Again the defending was generally fine in itself. Last night the defending was poor. They caused us all sorts of problems. Evidently you think because they only scored once it was great. I'm not sure Ancelotti would agree with you.

I think we have looked solid over the course of most of the 5 matches. Conceding only 13 shots on target and 3 goals (1 a huge deflection, 1 a deflected clearance) backs that up.

The issue is that the players have struggled in the last two matches to retain control of the ball and progress up the pitch.

I think this is mainly due to a lack of options in the middle and fatigue.

We are probably looking at starting Sigurdsson and Davies together, in just two days. Gomes, having picked up a knock, can do with a break anyway.

It'll be interesting to see if we make any adjustments on Sunday.

I think we have looked solid over the course of most of the 5 matches. Conceding only 13 shots on target and 3 goals (1 a huge deflection, 1 a deflected clearance) backs that up.

The issue is that the players have struggled in the last two matches to retain control of the ball and progress up the pitch.

Would agree with all of that.

We are probably looking at starting Sigurdsson and Davies together, in just two days. Gomes, having picked up a knock, can do with a break anyway.

It'll be interesting to see if we make any adjustments on Sunday.
Given our current options, we should be giving Benni a go. At least he's a DM. None of our other options are.

Is this a fair analysis / comparison you're making?

First, how many times has Carlo been brought in during the season? I've read somewhere he doesn't like to do this so I can't imagine it's many.

Second, how many times has he started the season with just the squad that he inherited? I.e. how many times has he not been able to make signings?

Third, how many times has he inherited squads better than Everton?
That is an empirical fact.

Juventus, Milan and PSG.

The same answer.

All the times.

I do not understand your point. It is an empirical fact that he has not managed to recreate the success in the second season, and therefore got fired.

My second point was that from a manager's perspective, we are in a very good situation in terms of practicing playing style for the next season. We will not be able to replace all the players until next season - so I do not understand why this is not done to a greater extent.

We can not only close the gap to the top six clubs by buying expensive players, but we must also close the gap when it comes to mastering the game as a team. Then we must practice and have clear guidelines.

m8 the goals we have conceded since restart have been some absolute clown fiesta luck, I wouldn't even put it down to bad defending.

These games are of huge value to the manager. This is like the beginning of a new season after having a pre season and he also had four months before lockdown to learn about his players.

If nothing else recent performances have shown that without further investment we are a team that when everybody is fit can finish possibly as high as eight or as low as twelfth or so.
CA was not brought to Everton to manage that team and I have no doubt the manager would have no interest in a long term stay if all he had to work with is the current squad.

I do also believe that the team does not need a complete overhaul. I think a couple of midfielders who can increase the tempo of our play and get around the field more quickly would change the performance of the whole team.

Status
Not open for further replies.