Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Trevor Francis as a young kid. He was one of my favourite non Everton players. So skilful, could just glide past players and could finish. Dortmund have been linked with Bellingham, it wouldn’t be the worst move in the world for the lad, seeing what they’ve done with Sancho.
yes he`s good , francis was great as well , but be careful dad was at birmingham under 18`s as well

...Breaking News: Wigan Athletic has entered administration.

Not sure if that impacts transfer activity for the likes of Kieran Dowell.
That's terrible news. There been warnings that quite a few lower league clubs could be in danger of going your of business due to Covid.

This, I believe, is going to be commonplace over the next few months sadly. Many of our professional clubs will go to the wall.

I believe the FA have to introduce a salary cap to protect football in this country. Many of the top players earn more in a month that what it costs to run some of these smaller clubs over a whole season. It's wrong that so much money is leaving the game in top players salaries.

Sorry for being off topic.

I'd seriously get Dowell involved preseason. If he doesn't feel inspired to Impress Ancelotti, there's nothing down for him anywhere, and if he knuckles down, I genuinely think there's a player in there that Ancelotti could mold and utilise.

I think he's been really unlucky and hard done by in the last 3-4 years, and through no fault of his own. With us needing to trim to fat, streamline the squad, and with it being Carl's 1st look at some of the fringe, this could be exactly the sort of good luck/timing he has needed all along. Just look at the difference a year has made to his fellow England youth team mates, Calvert Lewin and Holgate.

Could do worse than taking Robinson back as well, especially after Milan were on the verge of signing him for £10m.

This, I believe, is going to be commonplace over the next few months sadly. Many of our professional clubs will go to the wall.

I believe the FA have to introduce a salary cap to protect football in this country. Many of the top players earn more in a month that what it costs to run some of these smaller clubs over a whole season. It's wrong that so much money is leaving the game in top players salaries.

Off topic - i think your smack bang on it , wages are killing the game , lower league clubs cant even make transfers , without lower league clubs where do everton and the like get there next big stars from .

Last edited:

Schalke are introducing a salary cap from next season. Let's see how many follow.

You're absolutely correct. They will be the first of many, unless big changes come.

The plan would clearly have been for Dowell to go on loan again, and ultimately not be retained. I am something of an optimist when it comes to young players, and in truth Dowell has done very little to suggest he will make it here. His form has been patchy post Nottingham Forest.

Maybe though, at 22, with a summer to get his head down and injuries behind him, and being a lot bigger and stronger than say 2-3 years ago when he first broke onto the scene it may be the bit of fortune he needs. It doesn't look as if we will be making a huge quantity of signings, so he may get a chance to catch the eye?

We know the financial situation at all clubs is in a totally different state than any one could have believed maybe four months ago. We are no different.

I think that we may be reassessing our transfer strategy in full.

I have no doubt that we intended signing a centre half but I feel that may be less of a priority now. I really would not be surprised to see us bring an experienced player in on loan for a season and that probably will not be Thiago Silva.

We may need to sign a left back as cover if Leighton Baines decides to leave , and I think he might just want to get some games before he finally hangs up his boots.

We absolutely have to strengthen midfield both defensively and creatively and I think that is where our money may be spent.
The wide right side of our midfield could also need strengthening but we probably can get by using a combination of Walcott, Iwobi, Gordon or Richarlison.

FFP wise yes we will have taken a hit but USM has profited massively from the virus situation.

Ancelotti has close to admitted were looking around for a centre back and Gabriel is at minimum on the list.

I think we need a left back anyway with Baines not able to play several games in a row so its a huge risk if Digne gets injured.

Id say left mid Bernard/Gordon and right mid Walcott/Iwobi are the current options and we'll probably look to move on Walcott and Bernard if we can.

Centre mid need 2 new starters and another starter at right back.

Brands needs to hurry up and clear out the wage bill for FFP compliance.

I just checked and I found the opening date for the transfer window being 26th July. Is that correct? If people go out of contract on the 1st July, it seems harsh especially for lower league players who might have financial considerations to not allow them to transfer for 3-4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.