'Howard's Way' Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking on YouTube, there's a similar one for Harry Catterick's 1969/70 Championship winning season too, possibly all in black and white or at least a big percentage of the action footage

On my previous post read Kevin Langley for my mistakenly named Gary Langley.

I've an idea Gary Langley played for Chelsea ( a long time ago)

Last edited:
Finally just got round to watching it, it was a timely reminder of why I fell in love with the club and those teams of the 80's. Just seeing it made my heart sing and well up with pride of what they achieved. Everton has heaped quite a bit of misery on us all over the last quarter of a century but even with all that I wouldn't go back and change who I chose to support.

Thank you Howard.

Looking back, not winning the cup in 85 was such a missed opportunity to cement our position as the dominant team of the era.

Did complacency set in? Seeing the players a bit worse for wear on the plane home from Rotterdam suggests we underestimated our task...

Currently watching this on Sky now. I’m 33 so I don’t remember those glory days sadly.

Absolutely brilliant watch. May sound a bit soft here but you can just sense the love and passion that those players had (and still have) for the club. I don’t think you get that sense of pride in a club across football nowadays.

oh to have a Reid or a Ratcliffe now

Looking back, not winning the cup in 85 was such a missed opportunity to cement our position as the dominant team of the era.

Did complacency set in? Seeing the players a bit worse for wear on the plane home from Rotterdam suggests we underestimated our task...

Think it was more the fact we played 3 huge games in a week. Has often is said, had we played United the week after it would have ended how it normally did when we played them in that era.

Think it was more the fact we played 3 huge games in a week. Has often is said, had we played United the week after it would have ended how it normally did when we played them in that era.
One of the comments one of them made about the Moran sending off suggested there might have been some complacency there too. I can't remember who it was but one of them said at that point they thought they'd beat them easily.

Looking on YouTube, there's a similar one for Harry Catterick's 1969/70 Championship winning season too, possibly all in black and white or at least a big percentage of the action footage

On my previous post read Kevin Langley for my mistakenly named Gary Langley.

I've an idea Gary Langley played for Chelsea ( a long time ago)
Nay lad, that were Tommy Langley. Never heard of Gary!

Finally got round to seeing this.

Yes, a telling contribution to rescuing that 80s team from being ignored by the "Football started with the Premier League" generation.

However, a few observations:

• Too much time was given over to Liverpool. Yes, they were there to get past and therefore had to be addressed, but this is an Everton documentary about us and should have minimized them. The only time that lot should be in a documentary about that Everton team is to pay tribute to Everton's 5 year period of dominance. I think an opportunity was missed to position Kendall's Everton as the club that actually knocked Liverpool off their perch - something pretty much conceded by SAF, btw. Films like this are a chance to control the narrative, and the makers of it missed a trick there.
  • More generally, there should have been other figures outside of Everton / Everton fans paying their tribute to a truly great English team; ex-players and managers, domestic and foreign (so not Tyldsley and Rosenthal, who were a bit of an embarrassment, tbh). The absence of that dimension meant we got no sense of the scope of Everton's domestic and international achievement.
  • A tonal criticism: I felt that, although we we were successfully portrayed through the lens of what we hadn't done in the decade or so before the 1984 (success in the 60's / early 70s and standards falling, and the 80s bringing us back to those standards), it was what little we achieved after the 80s which set an almost apologetic tone for the whole piece - that what came later has diminished the club. The last 30 years should never have reared its head in a documentary celebrating a particular period of riches for the club. I doubt many other clubs would have had their latter barren spells haunting a glory piece about their heyday. We are very good at self-flaggelation and that's what came across too loudly for me.
  • Overall - and as someone who experienced it as a late teenager / early 20s - that programme for me never fully conveyed the utter (and merited) arrogance we all had about the club; we were imperious as a team and the fans (certainly the ones I knew) never had much doubt about the outcome of any match from very early on in the glory period: spring of '84 through to when we fell away again in '88. I and others got to have that feeling that fans of clubs like United in the 90s and noughties and Madrid (forever) have been privileged to experience. To me that barely came across.

I'm not saying Howard's Way was an opportunity lost. It wasn't. It was a great leap forward in the presentation of the 80s teams (though, and btw, I'd like to have seen more on the Lineker team and the rejigged '87 team which really did emphasise HK's greatness - the additions of players like Pointon, Power, Clarke, Watson, Snodin were an example of his brilliance as a manager). But it emphasised more the chemistry of a clutch of first team star players rather than underline the enormous achievement of HK placing the club at the top of domestic and European football for a period. The lens needed to be much wider than that (and, yes, I acknowledge budget limitations in not doing so, but I'm just making that general critique).

Last edited:

Does anyone know where I can buy this DVD either in store today/tomorrow or online that offers next day delivery? I know it's on streaming platforms but my Dad is a bit of a dinosaur and would probably prefer an actual DVD for Fathers Day

PS yes I am a terrible son and have left it late

Finally got round to seeing this.

Yes, a telling contribution to rescuing that 80s team from being ignored by the "Football started with the Premier League" generation.

However, a few observations:

• Too much time was given over to Liverpool. Yes, they were there to get past and therefore had to be addressed, but this is an Everton documentary about us and should have minimized them. The only time that lot should be in a documentary about that Everton team is to pay tribute to Everton's 5 year period of dominance. I think an opportunity was missed to position Kendall's Everton as the club that actually knocked Liverpool off their perch - something pretty much conceded by SAF, btw. Films like this are a chance to control the narrative, and the makers of it missed a trick there.
  • More generally, there should have been other figures outside of Everton / Everton fans paying their tribute to a truly great English team; ex-players and managers, domestic and foreign (so not Tyldsley and Rosenthal, who were a bit of an embarrassment, tbh). The absence of that dimension meant we got no sense of the scope of Everton's domestic and international achievement.
  • A tonal criticism: I felt that, although we we were successfully portrayed through the lens of what we hadn't done in the decade or so before the 1984 (success in the 60's / early 70s and standards falling, and the 80s bringing us back to those standards), it was what little we achieved after the 80s which set an almost apologetic tone for the whole piece - that what came later has diminished the club. The last 30 years should never have reared its head in a documentary celebrating a particular period of riches for the club. I doubt many other clubs would have had their latter barren spells haunting a glory piece about their heyday. We are very good at self-flaggelation and that's what came across too loudly for me.
  • Overall - and as someone who experienced it as a late teenager / early 20s - that programme for me never fully conveyed the utter (and merited) arrogance we all had about the club; we were imperious as a team and the fans (certainly the ones I knew) never had much doubt about the outcome of any match from very early on in the glory period: spring of '84 through to when we fell away again in '88. I and others got to have that feeling that fans of clubs like United in the 90s and noughties and Madrid (forever) have been privileged to experience. To me that barely came across.

I'm not saying Howard's Way was an opportunity lost. It wasn't. It was a great leap forward in the presentation of the 80s teams (though, and btw, I'd like to have seen more on the Lineker team and the rejigged '87 team which really did emphasise HK's greatness - the additions of players like Pointon, Power, Clarke, Watson, Snodin were an example of his brilliance as a manager). But it emphasised more the chemistry of a clutch of first team star players rather than underline the enormous achievement of HK placing the club at the top of domestic and European football for a period. The lens needed to be much wider than that (and, yes, I acknowledge budget limitations in not doing so, but I'm just making that general critique).

Understand many of your points Dave. Our dominanace would have endured for many a season building on what HK had set in place b ut it did not happen due to "H".

Understand many of your points Dave. Our dominanace would have endured for many a season building on what HK had set in place b ut it did not happen due to "H".

We, as a club, dont position ourseves very well...which is amazing when we have had a chairman for a decade and a half who is a showbiz producer.

The Catterick era should be right up their and celebrated every bit as much if not more than, say, the Spurs Bill Nicholson era and the Shankly era at Liverpool. Catterick moulded two teams and two different styles and showed how fantastically evolved he was as a manager.

Dont get me started on that aeroplane celebration photo.
Never understood why they flew back into Liverpool, sat up all night watching a re run of Rapid Vienna, when we were less than 48 hours from making history.
They should have gone straight to London from Rotterdam like the fans

We, as a club, dont position ourseves very well...which is amazing when we have had a chairman for a decade and a half who is a showbiz producer.

The Catterick era should be right up their and celebrated every bit as much if not more than, say, the Spurs Bill Nicholson era and the Shankly era at Liverpool. Catterick moulded two teams and two different styles and showed how fantastically evolved he was as a manager.

Absolutely, but not many of us on this forum are old enough to have been at the games in the HC time. Fortunately for me I was and there for the HK time.

One of the problems is that there is not much decent footage of the games back then for folk to see for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.