Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I'm saying that using Holgate making one or two or 37 great passes doesn't mean that he can play midfield because that's not all that is required to be a good passer just like scoring one or two or 37 screamers doesn't make someone a center forward because there are lots of other things that position needs too.

This will surely stir people up, but I think Michael Keane passes the ball better. There are a lot of things Keane can't do but I actually like the way he uses the ball. I would never consider him a midfielder. Holgate was put there because he has the legs to cover ground, which we needed at the time, but with Andre back, Gbamin coming back and Holgate not being that good on the ball, he's going to be a CB or not in the team.

If someone scored 37 screamers I'd probs stick them up front like.

If someone scored 37 screamers I'd probs stick them up front like.
And honestly if Holgate played 37 through balls like the one at Brighton, we might have to think about it, but we aren't there. We're at one. Still that alone doesn't make the position.

Ignore me I’m having a thick moment they’re Greek :p
(Edit now realised the quote wasn’t added in my reply so looks completely out of context. I was replying to the comment that Olympiacos was linked to Bolasie and made myself look dull by saying the were Turkish when they weren’t :()

You kook like a prize turkey now :)

Just completely kicked JPG out of the squad? Aye, he has.

Totally forgot him :eek:

Pickford
Todibo Holgate Gabriel
Emerson ??? Gomes Digne
Iwobi
Richarlison DCL

???
Coleman Mina Sarr
Kenny Gbamin Davies Baines
Bernard Gordon
Kean​

Just comparing to the amounts we would be spending on a 442 setup, with the expected market changes its not a bad plan.

Numbers aside, adding 4 players is the opposite of a “simple” strategy.

Were going to be signing more than 4 players anyway...

I doubt we'd get all 4 of them anyway, just thought its interesting to see how we could build on a budget and only look at the more defensive players.

£55mil - £70mil for those 4 (Emerson / Todibo / Sarr / Gabriel) leaving cash in the pot for Allan or someone else in midfield.

Thats before sales of course which could see us with a sensible net spend.

Totally forgot him :eek:

Pickford
Todibo Holgate Gabriel
Emerson ??? Gomes Digne
Iwobi
Richarlison DCL

???
Coleman Mina Sarr
Kenny Gbamin Davies Baines
Bernard Gordon
Kean​

Just comparing to the amounts we would be spending on a 442 setup, with the expected market changes its not a bad plan.

Were going to be signing more than 4 players anyway...

I doubt we'd get all 4 of them anyway, just thought its interesting to see how we could build on a budget and only look at the more defensive players.

£55mil - £70mil for those 4 (Emerson / Todibo / Sarr / Gabriel) leaving cash in the pot for Allan or someone else in midfield.

Thats before sales of course which could see us with a sensible net spend.
Not sure how anyone is doing two teams and putting Pickford in the first one at this point.

Also not sure signing 4 defenders in one window is the best use of resources if the only out is Keane. Sarr is a free but that means some amount of money is just going into his pockets. Todibo, Gabriel and Emerson are probably running us a minimum of 70m and that's best case, so those four not eating up 75% or more of our budget is almost impossible. And you haven't even touched the fact that our creative players are utterly terrible with these.

So four good players to sign, but probably not a good time to sign all four players.

Not sure how anyone is doing two teams and putting Pickford in the first one at this point.

Also not sure signing 4 defenders in one window is the best use of resources if the only out is Keane. Sarr is a free but that means some amount of money is just going into his pockets. Todibo, Gabriel and Emerson are probably running us a minimum of 70m and that's best case, so those four not eating up 75% or more of our budget is almost impossible. And you haven't even touched the fact that our creative players are utterly terrible with these.

So four good players to sign, but probably not a good time to sign all four players.

FIRST SEASON

The rumoured fees for Todibo (17mil) Gabriel (25mil) and Emerson (£18mil) come to £60mil with Sarr on a free.

If Keane goes out then we should see £20mil+ for him. Leaving £40mil approx as a 'net spend).

If we go 3 at the back;

GK: Pickford
RWB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Todibo/Coleman
CB: Holgate/Mina
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr/Gibson
LWB: Digne/Baines
CM: Gomes/Gbamin/Davies
AM: Iwobi/Bernard/Gordon
CF: Richarlison/DCL/Kean

Sell everyone else which 'should' bring in £40mil and breakeven on net spend. Then add in a midfielder e.g Allan as the only expenditure.

SECOND SEASON

We should be targeting europe and would have sufficient depth + would only look at upgrades rather than squad fillers.

If Ancelotti wanted to switch to his favoured 442 then we 'could' see something like this:

RB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Holgate/Todibo
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr
LB: Digne/Gibson
RM: ??? / ???
CM: Gomes/Allan/Gbamin/Davies
LM: Iwobi or Bernard/Gordon

We would only need 2 right midfielders and keepers aside from upgrades.

Players out: Coleman/Mina/Baines/Iwobi or Bernard = £40mil-£50mil on top of the budget.

In my opinion thats a really strong squad needing a couple of players and just one or two possible upgrades.

The net spend would be very minimal.

FIRST SEASON

The rumoured fees for Todibo (17mil) Gabriel (25mil) and Emerson (£18mil) come to £60mil with Sarr on a free.

If Keane goes out then we should see £20mil+ for him. Leaving £40mil approx as a 'net spend).

If we go 3 at the back;

RWB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Todibo/Coleman
CB: Holgate/Mina
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr/Gibson
LWB: Digne/Baines
CM: Gomes/Gbamin/Davies
AM: Iwobi/Bernard/Gordon

Sell everyone else which 'should' bring in £40mil and breakeven on net spend. Then add in a midfielder e.g Allan as the only expenditure.

SECOND SEASON

We should be targeting europe and would have sufficient depth + would only look at upgrades rather than squad fillers.

If Ancelotti wanted to switch to his favoured 442 then we 'could' see something like this:

RB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Holgate/Todibo
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr
LB: Digne/Gibson
RM: ??? / ???
CM: Gomes/Allan/Gbamin/Davies
LM: Iwobi or Bernard/Gordon

We would only need 2 right midfielders and keepers aside from upgrades.

Players out: Coleman/Mina/Baines/Iwobi or Bernard = £40mil-£50mil on top of the budget.

In my opinion thats a really strong squad needing a couple of players and just one or two possible upgrades.

The net spend would be very minimal.
So we're using Pickford for two more seasons while switching from a back four to a back three and back to a back four? Plus our CM options include a virtual unknown, two that we know aren't good when the other team has the ball and an aging player who has only played in Italy? Plus we still have only Bernard and/or Iwobi for the left (I hope Gordon works out but we're guessing right now, he's got about 100 first team minutes)?

That feels like Richarlison handing in a transfer request on June 1st after another season in 8th-10th to me.

Sign Gabriel and one of Sarr/Todibo. Holgate and Mina make that plenty. Bin off the Allan idea and never talk about it again. Instead sign a couple of younger guys from France who can bring the athleticism to cover Andre. For every Kante there is an Ndombele, so hopefully we can at least get one of each and set ourselves up nicely over the course of two summers. And then find proper creative players. Honestly I don't really have names at the moment, but I think the thought process behind someone like Iwobi is alright. I don't think we should give up on him but it isn't looking good, so another swing at that type of guy could go better.

Last of all we have to have actual faith in the development of these players. No more signing Walcott or Tosun or Delph to do a job to the detriment of younger options. We have no chance trying to do this quick. Play the long game.

So we're using Pickford for two more seasons while switching from a back four to a back three and back to a back four? Plus our CM options include a virtual unknown, two that we know aren't good when the other team has the ball and an aging player who has only played in Italy? Plus we still have only Bernard and/or Iwobi for the left (I hope Gordon works out but we're guessing right now, he's got about 100 first team minutes)?

That feels like Richarlison handing in a transfer request on June 1st after another season in 8th-10th to me.

Sign Gabriel and one of Sarr/Todibo. Holgate and Mina make that plenty. Bin off the Allan idea and never talk about it again. Instead sign a couple of younger guys from France who can bring the athleticism to cover Andre. For every Kante there is an Ndombele, so hopefully we can at least get one of each and set ourselves up nicely over the course of two summers. And then find proper creative players. Honestly I don't really have names at the moment, but I think the thought process behind someone like Iwobi is alright. I don't think we should give up on him but it isn't looking good, so another swing at that type of guy could go better.

Last of all we have to have actual faith in the development of these players. No more signing Walcott or Tosun or Delph to do a job to the detriment of younger options. We have no chance trying to do this quick. Play the long game.

I didnt say to switch from a back 4 to a 3 to a 4. I said theres depth in defence + attack which means that this could be done and players could be upgraded due to the low net spend.

Pickford is still young in goalkeeping terms but either way could be one of those upgraded.

The centre midfield options are Gomes, Gbamin, Davies + 1 player and i used an example of Allan as hes been linked. It could be anyone, again they could be upgraded due to the low netspend.

My 'strategy' first season would mean going to 3 at the back at a spend of £60mil approx + 1 midfielder. This would end up being around £20mil netspend after outgoings which allows for upgrades depending on budget.

I think your idea would be that we sign GK/ 2×CB / RB / 2 CM / 2 RM / 1 LM which is 8 players all of whom wont be cheap.

Lets say we just go for Donnarumma £25mil / Gabriel + Todibo 42mil / Emerson £17mil / Sangare + another £35mil / Couple of right mids £35mil and a left midfielder £20mil

= £175mil

Compared to my spend of £60mil + a Centre mid which would be close to zero netspend maybe £20mil...while yours would be over £100mil.

Do you see the difference in expenditure? If weve got over £100mil to spend then its something to discuss but i cant see it.

Im not sure why Richarlison would put in a transfer request when seeing Ancelotti switch to a 3 at the back with mobile defenders which is a more attacking system.

That doesnt make sense to me.

I didnt say to switch from a back 4 to a 3 to a 4. I said theres depth in defence + attack which means that this could be done and players could be upgraded due to the low net spend.

Pickford is still young in goalkeeping terms but either way could be one of those upgraded.

The centre midfield options are Gomes, Gbamin, Davies + 1 player and i used an example of Allan as hes been linked. It could be anyone, again they could be upgraded due to the low netspend.

My 'strategy' first season would mean going to 3 at the back at a spend of £60mil approx + 1 midfielder. This would end up being around £20mil netspend after outgoings which allows for upgrades depending on budget.

I think your idea would be that we sign GK/ 2×CB / RB / 2 CM / 2 RM / 1 LM which is 8 players all of whom wont be cheap.

Lets say we just go for Donnarumma £25mil / Gabriel + Todibo 42mil / Emerson £17mil / Sangare + another £35mil / Couple of right mids £35mil and a left midfielder £20mil

= £175mil

Compared to my spend of £60mil + a Centre mid which would be close to zero netspend maybe £20mil...while yours would be over £100mil.

Do you see the difference in expenditure? If weve got over £100mil to spend then its something to discuss but i cant see it.

Im not sure why Richarlison would put in a transfer request when seeing Ancelotti switch to a 3 at the back with mobile defenders which is a more attacking system.

That doesnt make sense to me.
Richarlison would be putting in a request because the scenario you laid out would leave us still very mediocre two years from now.

I'm not suggesting spending it all in one window. But over two summers the goal should be to get about 8 new first team players in. And you've listed the right positions or there about. But the team you listed as your team for us to have following the summer of 21 is, in my opinion of course, way short of the quality I would hope we had especially in midfield and on the wings. Of course you didn't name RWs so if we found a couple of gems there it all changes, but I can't go off of that.

Talking actual dollars is silly at this point. Anyone telling you what is going to happen at the end of this current crisis in any financial situation is guessing. It's unprecedented and football will no down be effected. I'm just looking at the players.

Just looking at the numbers and high potential, id be in favour of a back 3.

RWB: Emerson / Kenny
RCB: Todibo / Coleman
CB: Holgate / Mina
LCB: Gabriel / Sarr
LWB: Digne / Baines

Most of them can play multiple positions.

Doubt Ancelotti would go for it but it seems to be very interesting on paper.

Just throwing a team together:

Pickford
Todibo Holgate Gabriel
Emerson ??? Gomes Digne
Iwobi
Richarlison DCL

???
Coleman Mina Sarr
Kenny ??? Davies Baines
Bernard Gordon
Kean
Seems interesting...cost effective and something to build from.

We are not going to be going into the season with 10 defenders and two different starting XI’s, that is pure Walsh and Koeman 2017-esque lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.