2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im on the right side this time Mikey.

I backed Big Dom from the START!!!

I confess it did baffle me at 1 point how he got games but the improvement hes made over the last 18months has been unreal.

He's always had the ability, he just needed the right coaches to bring it out of him, get him better service in the summer and he'll be hitting the 20-30 goal bracket next season and everyone will be happy, apart from those who think a less frequent scorer or former/current Scottish League strikers are better value at 60/70 times what we got Dom for

Im interested - as im sure you are whenever you slate Schneiderlin, Gyfi or Tosun "cant believe dat der Toshun is on 90k a week thanks Fat Sam"

Hypocrites...Hypocrites everywhere
TBF to you over DCL you have been consistently wrong in your criticism imo, but others who were calling him a poor striker some have been honest, and come clean , but others have just stopped posting on this thread .......sadly my interpreter was one of them.... :D unless he has repented?

Hope hes around for a long time yet, be quality so see him, richy, kean and holgate develop together. Hopefully add Davies into the mix too.

Agree, and love DCL, but we will surely need to sell someone for big money this or next summer and if it’s a choice between him and Richarlison, I’d want to keep Richarlison.

Why do we need to sell someone?

Because our revenues can’t support us spending £100m every summer. Unless Usmanov keeps coming up with creative ways to give us money like sponsoring the Blue Star Chippy on Queens Drive for £50m, then the only way we’ll avoid breaking FFP is by selling someone for big ££

Getting in the CL would also solve the money issue I’d imagine, but that’s a big IF

Because our revenues can’t support us spending £100m every summer. Unless Usmanov keeps coming up with creative ways to give us money like sponsoring the Blue Star Chippy on Queens Drive for £50m, then the only way we’ll avoid breaking FFP is by selling someone for big ££

Getting in the CL would also solve the money issue I’d imagine, but that’s a big IF

I think that's a false economy.

Keep our players, the young and good ones and if necessary spend less but spend it well.

I have faith in the people in the top to continue our creative accounting too lol.

Yeh I did pick one and my god are we struggling in central midfield. Need a formation like 4-0-6
Defo. That's why I'd give Holgate a go there to see how he does. I've liked him when he's filled in at DM for us and I'd play him there more often (or at least until we got our other DMs fit) if it didn't mean playing Keane at CB.

Defo. That's why I'd give Holgate a go there to see how he does. I've liked him when he's filled in at DM for us and I'd play him there more often (or at least until we got our other DMs fit) if it didn't mean playing Keane at CB.

I don't think he's ever gonna play midfield for England off the back of a few performances there for us haha. Next season though I'd try it if we could bring in a top CB for Mina (maybe that's where the Gabriel links come in?) but also depends where Holgate prefers to play as I think if he prefers CB it'd be harsh to shove him in midfield.

This is absolutely true.
We can’t sustain the sorts of losses we are making and play in European competition.
It won’t be allowed.

I agree that the formation change has helped his game but I still think he has turned his career around. Had he struggled under Carlo he would have been gone by next season. Whether or not he could have shown his true quality at a lower level and bounce back is another question for a different day. The knock of the setback can affect players mentally, we see that all the time.

It is a confidence thing with DCL you can see it watching the goals back, Newcastle away he almost missed but somehow his messy contact went in. Now he looks like a finisher, that to me is turning his career around. Before Christmas no one is talking about DCL being in the euro squad, now there is - obviously helps with the injuries to others but still.

There was nothing to say he would become a 15+ goals a season guy because he needed so many chances per goal. Now he has shown he can hopefully he can go on to even bigger targets.
I don't agree mate. When you read most of the posts on here you would think that the last 3 months has seen a dramatic improvement in Doms play, and there simply hasn't. He has scored a lot of goals I grant you, and that has naturally affected people's judgement of him. But those goals were not a result of Dom's remarkable improvement in ability, they were down to a change in tactics that allowed Dom to be more selfish in his play, plus a welcome change in his luck. You mentioned the one against Newcastle, there was also the one at the weekend against United, and even his excellent finish against Arsenal could very easily have been deflected wide of the goal rather than into it. Dom has exactly the same faults to his game that he had 3 months ago. Yes the goals have brought confidence and an extra spring in his step and that's great to see, but that's about the only change really.

That's not a criticism of Dom by the way. I've always defended him against some awful undeserved comments on here. The steady improvement seen in his all round game over the last 2 years has been very good. There is a reason why successive managers have stuck by him and many opposing managers often compliment him. He's probably been singled out for comment by the likes of MOTD more than any other Everton player over the last 2 years apart from maybe Richarlison. The one thing missing from his game was goals, and the reasons for that were that he was isolated up front and didn't spend enough time in the right area's of the pitch, and when he did get the odd opportunity he invariably missed it. He still does miss too many, the difference is now he's probably getting 3 times the chances. If you gave a fully fit Harry Kane the same opportunities Dom has had this season, then he'd probably be on around 25 goals by now. Again, that isn't a criticism of Dom, it's just a realistic assessment of where he is in his development.

I guarantee that if Carlo changed to a 1 up front system again, we would see Dom's goals dry up massively. He would spend too much time running the channels, and if he didn't, he'd be dragged off for not working hard enough. People on here would be asking why we have given a new contract to the lad. When the reality is he has not become a bad player overnight, in much the same way he has not become a fantastic player overnight now.

But let's not go there. The good news is we have 2, possibly 3 young and potentially world class strikers on our books. Keep playing the same system and we know that Dom will continue to get the goals. If he improves in the areas mentioned in my previous post, then we can look forward to having a 25/30 goal a season striker within the next few years. They are rare these days.

I don't think he's ever gonna play midfield for England off the back of a few performances there for us haha. Next season though I'd try it if we could bring in a top CB for Mina (maybe that's where the Gabriel links come in?) but also depends where Holgate prefers to play as I think if he prefers CB it'd be harsh to shove him in midfield.
Why not?. Southgate was at the United away game when he played there to such good effect. He also knows it's a big problem area for him. The hardest part is picking Mason in his squad, but he did say he was going to use the next round of games to look at new players. Once in the squad he only needs to take a look at him in training.

I agree with you though that I see centre back as his long term preference. He looks like someone who likes to have the play in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.