Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe anyone would not want to get into the Europa League. If we seriously want to be CL team in the future, we need the experience of getting through the Europa league, and dealing with away games, - there will also be some strong teams in the latter stages if we make it - we need to learn how to deal with squad players - having a Thursday night and Sunday team to manage, and to just know how to deal with a bigger workload - it's a crucial step in our next development. This year we thought we'd try to get 7th under Marco Silva but we didn't, and now with a crap half season, we've suddenly got a chance of getting it one year earlier. Anyway whatever we say the players are hardly going to decide whether they want it or not and play accordingly - they'll try and win every game! Europa League means extra game time forp layers like Davies, Kenny, and Beni, Walcott, Schneiderlin (if he's still playing like he cares) and we can develop a proper squad of 22 good players in the summer to cope with it. I really hope we make it as it will also help to keep Ancelotti motivated

Good. If Liverpool reserves can beat Shrewsbury, ours should be able to beat someone of Ruzomberok quality.
If the formula is that simple then why did the RS third team beat our alleged first team?

I would love us to go, I don't care about anxiety over squad depth, lack of pre-season etc, we should be fine, Wolves have been fine so far.
Wolves really struggled at the start of the season and dropped a lot of points in the first ten or so games. 7 games until they picked up their first win against Watford who are on their third manager of the season. Looking at other teams they may well have been securely in the CL spots this season without the Europa.

The irony being that winning it will make that league struggle an irrelevance in terms of qualifying CL football.

I'm all for getting into the Europa League but lets not pretend it doesn't come with a whole bag of problems starting the season that early and the Sunday/Thursday fixture list. Off the top of my head it seems like every English side seems to struggle with it's knock on effects during the opening part of the season regardless of the approach they take.

We need European football to start attracting a higher calibre of player. In this era of football the old saying of ‘money talks’ is getting eroded as most teams can compete on wages (in England anyway). Having European football might be the difference between getting the first choice targets and not. CL is probably a bit of a stretch right now but we could have a reet good go at EL and push on from there
Still plenty to play for this season COYB

Any chance of presenting the info as a pie chart?

The money is a lot more now than it used to be. Would really help us with allowing Moshiri to splash more of the cash. Also I reckon under Ancelotti with a settler squad we could actually do some damage. Most of the teams in it are utter pony apart from one or two from the top leagues who are in it as they rebuild. We’ve been unlucky in the past to meet some ridiculous teams before they got dismantled (Benfica, Sporting etc.) and to be having poor league campaigns at the same time under poor managers (Martinez and Koeman).

When we’ve approached it properly like in 07/08 we could have well won that competition. We need to be getting in year after year after year and making the latter stages.

If the formula is that simple then why did the RS third team beat our alleged first team?

Well, firstly it was a few first teamers and their second string, and again, I would also predict that Liverpool reserves would beat what Wolves faced this year, which is Pyunik and Crusaders.

Torino is a different kettle of fish, but that is back end of August.

As appalling as we were against Liverpool, I’d have no qualms about playing the likes of Gordon, Baningime, Hornby, Gibson, Bowler against bargain basement Europa Teams. If we’re really concerned, you’d send them to the away legs and have more first team in the home games.

And I know, I know wolves played their first team, but they probably could have played more second string, and would have been fine up to Torino.

We could start the season in EL with this
Lossl
Coleman Keane Holgate Baines
Walcott Davies Delph Bernard
DCL Kean

resting the big guns for either a second leg or later stages. Dont forget not many of our squad will be playing in the Euros this summer.

I can't believe anyone would not want to get into the Europa League. If we seriously want to be CL team in the future, we need the experience of getting through the Europa league, and dealing with away games, - there will also be some strong teams in the latter stages if we make it - we need to learn how to deal with squad players - having a Thursday night and Sunday team to manage, and to just know how to deal with a bigger workload - it's a crucial step in our next development. This year we thought we'd try to get 7th under Marco Silva but we didn't, and now with a crap half season, we've suddenly got a chance of getting it one year earlier. Anyway whatever we say the players are hardly going to decide whether they want it or not and play accordingly - they'll try and win every game! Europa League means extra game time forp layers like Davies, Kenny, and Beni, Walcott, Schneiderlin (if he's still playing like he cares) and we can develop a proper squad of 22 good players in the summer to cope with it. I really hope we make it as it will also help to keep Ancelotti motivated
That would be nice for a change.

We could start the season in EL with this
Lossl
Coleman Keane Holgate Baines
Walcott Davies Delph Bernard
DCL Kean

resting the big guns for either a second leg or later stages. Dont forget not many of our squad will be playing in the Euros this summer.
Huddersfield might object.

I can't believe anyone would not want us to qualify for the Europa League.

Every single person who thinks like this must be an armchair supporter (and of course only a small minority of them).

There isn't a single Evertonian who was at the likes of Nuremberg or Wolfsburg, or who would definitely travel to watch Everton on the continent in future, who would think similarly.

Moyes seemed to get a tune out of the squad playing Thurs / Sun in Europa seasons. Martinez and Koeman were patchier, arguably. Not cast in stone that league form follows, but there's definitely the possibility. It's all good if Ev are performing. Go full Koeman and it'll be grim.
Not the season we were knocked out of both European competitions very very early that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.