2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ?
I've never heard a bad word agst the lad , only positives ( even from RS mates).
Whenever a game is live the pundits always talk well of him.
Dont get that at all.
I'm not going to pretend to talk about Everton with tons of people, but the ones I do who aren't Evertonians either a. haven't noticed him or b. think he's not that good.

I just don't think he's some unmissable player.

Yesterday's version of Bernard is the one we need to see more often. Less of the fluff that people like to go crazy about and more of the stuff that gets the ball in the net.

I'm not going to pretend to talk about Everton with tons of people, but the ones I do who aren't Evertonians either a. haven't noticed him or b. think he's not that good.

I just don't think he's some unmissable player.

Yesterday's version of Bernard is the one we need to see more often. Less of the fluff that people like to go crazy about and more of the stuff that gets the ball in the net.
Him & Richarlison are are the best footie players at the club mate.

Its really not that hard to notice.

Well that’s complete and utter tripe for starters.
I phrased that poorly. There's very few people outside the club that rate him at the level our support does. Some people think he's good, but our support acts like he's one of the best wingers outside City and the RS. Not many people see that.

Oh my word. The only valid criticism right now against Bernard right now is his health record. Of course he isn’t perfect with every pass; we aren’t Manchester freakin City with two players available at all times and he is encouraged to take risks as an advanced player. He has contributed to 5 goals (should have been a few more were others more clinical- including himself to be fair) in 922 freakin minutes. Dom also was tiddly winks away from smashing that header in which would have given him yet another assist.

He works his arse off, he plays well with Digne and he is Brazilian. He is the least of our worries ffs- except when he is injured as often as he is. Hopefully he picks up a better stretching regimen or something.

Oh my word. The only valid criticism right now against Bernard right now is his health record. Of course he isn’t perfect with every pass; we aren’t Manchester freakin City with two players available at all times and he is encouraged to take risks as an advanced player. He has contributed to 5 goals (should have been a few more were others more clinical- including himself to be fair) in 922 freakin minutes. Dom also was tiddly winks away from smashing that header in which would have given him yet another assist.

He works his arse off, he plays well with Digne and he is Brazilian. He is the least of our worries ffs- except when he is injured as often as he is. Hopefully he picks up a better stretching regimen or something.
Nah. He's about where he should be. Which is a healthy return.

I mean he's scored 3 times from 11 shots. That's damn clinical. When you play that game Walcott should have like 5 goals and 4 assists right? I don't think anyone is doing it for him though.

Nah. He's about where he should be. Which is a healthy return.

I mean he's scored 3 times from 11 shots. That's damn clinical. When you play that game Walcott should have like 5 goals and 4 assists right? I don't think anyone is doing it for him though.
Bernard doesn’t get the clear cut chances that Walcott has had and I’d argue that their roles are vastly different in the side, hence Ancelotti saying Walcott is irreplaceable atm with our current squad. Bernard is also expected to do more in the buildup than in the box and he has done well with both this season. He has done his job.

DCL is better than Bernard.

It's also not a club packed with great players fwiw.
tenor.gif

Bernard doesn’t get the clear cut chances that Walcott has had and I’d argue that their roles are vastly different in the side, hence Ancelotti saying Walcott is irreplaceable atm with our current squad. Bernard is also expected to do more in the buildup than in the box and he has done well with both this season. He has done his job.
They've both been vastly improved since Carlo took over and were both struggling beforehand. The roles aren't really different imo, just the approaches to doing it are. Both have to help move the ball up the field, hold some level of width, create chances and score goals.

There's an interesting discrepancy in how much recognition each gets though. I think it basically boils down to Evertonians not enjoying nice things and taking to one player because he's a "smart signing" while the other cost money and wasn't instantly world class.

They've both been vastly improved since Carlo took over and were both struggling beforehand. The roles aren't really different imo, just the approaches to doing it are. Both have to help move the ball up the field, hold some level of width, create chances and score goals.

There's an interesting discrepancy in how much recognition each gets though. I think it basically boils down to Evertonians not enjoying nice things and taking to one player because he's a "smart signing" while the other cost money and wasn't instantly world class.
I’ve been pretty supportive of Walcott for the most part so I don’t think that applies to me obviously. Both have important roles (while Walcott has been immensely frustrating at times I understand his value and anybody arguing he brings literally nothing is being disingenuous or stupid). I’ve also defended Walcott plenty even as he missed those eleventy billion clear cut chances last season because I recognize that he is the only one capable of stretching the field reliably.

Bernard is certainly not useless either if he doesn’t volley a goal in every Saturday. Willian has also been blasted by many turds for not racking up ridiculous numbers but anyone that watches Chelsea will tell you he is World Class.

I’ve been pretty supportive of Walcott for the most part so I don’t think that applies to me obviously. Both have important roles (while Walcott has been immensely frustrating at times I understand his value and anybody arguing he brings literally nothing is being disingenuous or stupid). I’ve also defended Walcott plenty even as he missed those eleventy billion clear cut chances last season because I recognize that he is the only one capable of stretching the field reliably.

Bernard is certainly not useless either if he doesn’t volley a goal in every Saturday. Willian has also been blasted by many turds for not racking up ridiculous numbers but anyone that watches Chelsea will tell you he is World Class.
Willian is planets away from Bernard in terms of ability to move the ball upfield though. He's one of the best in the world at dribbling from deep into attack.

Bernard doesn't have to score to be valuable. But he does have to have some of that in his game because unlike Willian in the past he isn't getting the ball forward for guys like Hazard, Costa and Fabregas to take care of the rest. But again under Carlo, Bernard has finally begun to show that he can in fact get the job done at times when the attacking set up isn't a complete disaster.

Part of missing chances is getting on the end of chances. At some point they have to go in but as we've seen with Dom that often happens for most players. Injury permitting I think Walcott will score a few more the rest of the way and people will hopefully ease up on criticizing him weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.