Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of home grown players playing the leagues, money wasn’t ridiculously thrown around on average players, clubs were owned by British owners, sponsors were mainly from the uk (i agree if I was around earlier I would of liked the previous decades too) the 90’s kits were legendary, GAZZA, Everton last won a trophy in the 90’s!!! NEVILLE SOUTHALL, fat ronaldo, ANDREI KANCHELSKIS, Euro 96, Andy Cole scoring 40+ goals, I could go on forever but like you said it was the era I grew up in

90s kits were not legendary, they are just the kits that those influencing the media and ripe for being sold a nostalgia rip off with their disposable income are into. I grew up with that era of football and if you regularly went to Goodison in the 90s and reckon it was the golden era for football you are mad.
The Premier League is what caused this whole thing, not allowing extra foreign players or foreign shirt sponsors.

In an era of some snide teams and players, that shower were the snidiest of the lot, apart from when they came up against a certain Mr Johnny Morrissey!
He was just a little before my time but I do remember "dirty Leeds" though. I still laugh at the little twirl they used to do just before kick off.........crrrringe.

90s kits were not legendary, they are just the kits that those influencing the media and ripe for being sold a nostalgia rip off with their disposable income are into. I grew up with that era of football and if you regularly went to Goodison in the 90s and reckon it was the golden era for football you are mad.
The Premier League is what caused this whole thing, not allowing extra foreign players or foreign shirt sponsors.
You sound a barrel of laughs....bye

In footballing terms I agree. But even after amortisation we'd still be making a big loss on them collectively which would hit us quite hard as regards FFP. Losing the salaries would be good though.

Salaries why you wouldn't get 30m for them - a buying club would have to match them so that comes out of your transfer fee. You might get a few bob for Tosun depending on if he can score for Palace.

waitwhat.gif

Personally don't think it's easy to correct all problem areas in the squad in one summer. Rather we concentrated resources on a 3 or 4 really key signings. A right back, mobile defensive centre mid and pacey wide forward would be my preferences. Think you can mask deficiencies in defence through organisation and improving in defensive midfield to give them more protection.

I know others will obviously disagree but that's my opinion.

Personally don't think it's easy to correct all problem areas in the squad in one summer. Rather we concentrated resources on a 3 or 4 really key signings. A right back, mobile defensive centre mid and pacey wide forward would be my preferences. Think you can mask deficiencies in defence through organisation and improving in defensive midfield to give them more protection.

I think centre half is too essential a position to mask as it seems like an essential part of every good team. 100% agree that centre mid reinforcement is needed but it has to be to protect a good defence otherwise one injury has a massively disproportional effect.

I agree, I think it's going to be a 2-3 window job to fix this mess

Franny Lee doing ok there against Hunter , what an irritating player he was to watch though always diving ect, took away from the fact he was actually very good.

We often hear people talk about how “diving” is something introduced to British football by players from abroad, the reality is Franny Lee had it down to a fine art both at Man City and Derby County in the 70’s! It was a shame because as you say he was a good footballer, and certainly took a good penalty!

The amount of home grown players playing the leagues, money wasn’t ridiculously thrown around on average players, clubs were owned by British owners, sponsors were mainly from the uk (i agree if I was around earlier I would of liked the previous decades too) the 90’s kits were legendary, GAZZA, Everton last won a trophy in the 90’s!!! NEVILLE SOUTHALL, fat ronaldo, ANDREI KANCHELSKIS, Euro 96, Andy Cole scoring 40+ goals, I could go on forever but like you said it was the era I grew up in
British owners like Peter "Hamperman" Johnson.
British managers like Mike Walker.
British sponsors like Danka and NEC.
British players like Brett Angell.
British competitions like the Euro Championships.

Just because our main sponsor wasn’t uk based it doesn’t mean everyone else’s ? You do realise that there’s more than one sponsor per team don’t you?
He was one of the majority playing in the league and one of the best, he wasn’t a below average foreign player like we and other PL teams go for now days....
Cannot understand the point being made here. I know it's a British language and therefore the best but I can't quite work out the meaning of the sentence.

I’d love to see sterling play back then
Why pick out that one particular British player amongst your tirade against foreign invasion? He's far from the biggest diver to grace modern day football and is an exceptionally good player who is seen as one of the best players in a team with a huge foreign influence on and off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.