2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true as a defence we conceded some of the fewest shots on target a game in the leauge. Pickford shot on target to goal ratio is the second poorest in the leauge though. It's around one in every 3 shots on target is a goal.

He is a truly terrible keeper.
Was going to give an informative reply, however, i realised your reply had been liked by @sageyefc. I'm 100% correct.

It's just a forum though mate.

I'm not saying the club will do it, I was responding to a post saying that they couldn't do it by saying that they could.

You're missing the point about FFP. I'm simply saying that the scenario I was advocating would have a positive effect on our FFP not a negative one. That's just a fact. So mentioning FFP at all is part of the scaremongering I'm talking about, everybody's so convinced that FFP is going to be the death of us that they're even using it to argue why making money would be a bad move.

FFP as an issue gets resolved quite quickly (from what I can see) if lots of business is done. As you say, sell a player for roughly what we bought him for 3/5ths into his agreement and you can show a big profit. You also get to take his wages off the books as a profit as well. That seems very foreign to most of us, who operate from a more simple approach of valuing players at what we bought them at.

Our issue if because we bought really badly, and haven't been very stable we've not been able to do much business, particularly going outwards. If we start to get better then FFP just fades away.

We could sell Calvert Lewin and Richarlinson and probably clear circa £150million pounds worth of profit. When you factor in wages and other increase there have been we pay back the debts for the next 2 years doing this. (This also assumes we spend at the same level of last summer as well where we are able to bring in 4 to 5 players). I would imagine that privately such a scenario is what they are hoping for.

Neither goal at Watford was his fault. As to the question should he be replaced, I would answer yes to that question for every position on the pitch without exception, should far better players become available. As is often said on this forum, a new goalie is not a priority. Other positions require more urgent attention. Carra's remarks were strange on TV. He said Pickford should be 1st England choice for what he has done for England but not on what he has done for Everton. They were discussing Pope v Pickford.

not his fault... but if he isn’t saving that first one then he really can’t claim to be even an average keeper really.
Keepers are there to do more than not be at fault

Pickford hasn't had a single 'howler' all season.

The state of this board is incredible. Apparently every single goal should have been stopped.

Perreya absolutely leathers it into the top corner fron about 10 yards out and you get weirdod saying he 'should have done better'

It's just so strange.
Just two weeks ago flapped at a cross leading to goal #1 and then dove into his own net for goal #2 against Newcastle.

He doesn’t make saves anymore, doesn’t control his box, and can’t claim anything.

There’s a gap between “howler” and poor keeping, but he’s genuinely not doing anything well at the moment. Even his kicking is now crap.

Last edited:

All hail nobody.The history of our more recent keepers apart from the great Neville has been a story of barracking and criticism. Going back a bit, even as far back as Gordon West during a "succcessful period", he was turned into a nervous wreck by abuse from behind the goal. Pickford will never "win over" the fans, and neither will whoever takes his place, unless he is truly world class, which is unlikely given our status. If we signed Pope, or Forster, their first clanger would be the signal for a campaign against them by some. Most goalies apart from those who play for the top clubs are average, so get used to it.

All hail nobody.The history of our more recent keepers apart from the great Neville has been a story of barracking and criticism. Going back a bit, even as far back as Gordon West during a "succcessful period", he was turned into a nervous wreck by abuse from behind the goal. Pickford will never "win over" the fans, and neither will whoever takes his place, unless he is truly world class, which is unlikely given our status. If we signed Pope, or Forster, their first clanger would be the signal for a campaign against them by some. Most goalies apart from those who play for the top clubs are average, so get used to it.
Disagree. No one ever has 100% support, but I think Howard was generally well respected as a solid keeper until the last couple seasons. Fans turned quickly though.

Nigel Martyn was brilliant the kind of keeper that instilled confidence in his defenders. Pickford has the opposite affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.