January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand this, why label Richarlison and Iceland in the same bracket?

1 has had 1 reasonably good season in 3 and is now worth about 20p, the other has 2 very good seasons has improved massively and is potential worth double his fee.
Just that those are the two highest players we've paid fees for. No other reason at all.

But I dont think Grealish is THAT player.

Hes improving all the time, but hes not top drawer and you should only break the bank for top, top drawer players.
I get why people would be hesitant but I definitely disagree. This year he's been stunning in a bad Villa team. The players with him in the attack are by and large borderline PL players or worse. Only really McGinn is clearly PL level. And in this setup he's been great. In terms of non-City attackers he's as good as anyone in the league.

There will of course be other players to take the leap on but to me he's as surefire as surefire gets. That ball he played last night that Samatta missed was as good as anything KdB has produced this season. It was only one moment but I think it was as good as any to show just how much quality this guy has at the moment.

And the other thing is the idea that Aston Villa have built the team around him so he couldn't do it elsewhere is silly. Yes he is the main focal point but he isn't in a free role at all. He has a position and largely sticks to it and he has responsibilities without the ball that he takes care of.

I believe in addition to building a solid core we are going to need that one special talent somewhere. Maybe DCL or Richarlison are that guy but at some point the last step is going to be getting that one player who wins you 4 or 5 extra games on his own. To me stepping a little outside our means to do it is reasonable even if it slows the core building for a year. Every great team has that guy.
Maybe, but 70M on one guy prohibits are ability to do much else. So while I don’t disagree for paying for that elite player, let’s first get to good all around first. Because we ain’t good at CM, RB, RW, and not sure we are great at CB or GK, either. If we can get the first three this summer with some CB depth, we have done well. Can’t do that spending that much on one player. Yet.

....the final countdown, with just 3 days to go here’s the morning Toffee transfer round-up for Wednesday 29th January;

- Whilst Tuttosport report West Ham have joined Everton in pursuit of Inter Milan midfielder, Matias Vecino, Gianluca Di Marzio says the Toffees negotiations have stalled. Inter are holding out for €20m but Everton are refusing to budge from their valuation. The Express suggest the 28 year old has submitted a transfer request but talks for the Uruguayan are at an impasse.

- The Liverpool Echo suggest Everton defender Lewis Gibson is set to sign a new contract. The 19 year old centre-back is now likely to go out on-loan in the next few days.

- According to The Times, Bundesliga strugglers Paderborn are keen on signing Everton’s 21 year old midfielder, Antony Evans, who is out of contract in the summer.

- Il Mattino report Napoli want €80m for Ancelotti target, Allan. The Brazilian is to be offered a new contract amidst interest from the Toffees.

- The Liverpool Echo say Everton’s 20 year old Academy centre-back, Morgan Feeney, is set to join Tranmere Rovers on loan. Feeney is in the final year of his contract.

- Everton have been linked with Verona defender, Marash Kumbulla, but Gianluca Di Marzio says Napoli look set to sign the centre-back in a €20m deal. Di Marzio also reports Toffees linked 21 year old midfielder, Gonzalo Villar has joined AS Roma from Elche for £4.2m.

- Turkish Football.com continue to report Everton as lining up a summer move for 22 year old AS Roma winger Cengiz Under.

Last edited:
....the final countdown, with just 3 days to go here’s the morning Toffee transfer round-up for Wednesday 29th January;

- Whilst Tuttosport report West Ham have joined Everton in pursuit of Inter Milan midfielder, Matias Vecino, Gianluca Di Marzio says the Toffees negotiations have stalled. Inter are holding out for €20m but Everton are refusing to budge from their valuation. The Express suggest the 28 year old has submitted a transfer request but talks for the Uruguayan are at an impasse.

- The Liverpool Echo suggest Everton defender Lewis Gibson is set to sign a new contract. The 19 year old centre-back is now likely to go out on-loan in the next few days.

- According to The Times, Bundesliga strugglers Paderborn are keen on signing Everton’s 21 year old midfielder, Antony Evans, who is out of contract in the summer.

- Il Mattino report Napoli want €80m for Ancelotti target, Allen. The Brazilian is to be offered a new contract amidst interest from the Toffees.

- The Liverpool Echo say Everton’s 20 year old Academy centre-back, Morgan Feeney, is set to join Tranmere Rovers on loan. Feeney is in the final year of his contract.

- Everton have been linked with Verona defender, Marash Kumbulla, but Gianluca Di Marzio says Napoli look set to sign the centre-back in a €20m deal. Di Marzio also reports Toffees linked 21 year old midfielder, Gonzalo Villar has joined AS Roma from Elche for £4.2m.

- Turkish Football.com continue to report Everton as lining up a summer move for 22 year old AS Roma winger Cengiz Under.
Wow; how underwhelming is this and only two days to the window closing.

"Going with what we have"?

Wow; how underwhelming is this and only two days to the window closing.

"Going with what we have"?
FFP limitations.
Unless we can ship some out we are stuck.

Normally I'd be frustrated but let's be honest, this season is a write-off. Going with what we have will see us through fine, give Carlo the chance to see his full squad and then hopefully leave us with the time and resources to strengthen sensibly in the summer. Especially when/if contracts expire and deadwood can be flogged.

Grealish is 100% the type of midfielder we need - a player who can get on the ball and travel 30-40 yards and pick a pass.

Gomes, of course, has shown he can be that player in the past, but will still be a fair way off despite some light training, and doesn't offer as much in the final third as Grealish.

He won't be leaving Villa until the end of the season at least, maybe longer if they stay up, but there's no reason why we shouldn't be in for him or couldn't expect to get him, purely because we have the calibre of manager here now which attracts players.

However, we also need to be looking at other players out there who can do that job.

We lack that in our midfield massively.

You never rated him at all in the past;)

We are too late to buy Jack from villa now, he fee is too expensive. He should have been signed 2 seasons ago. He been known 4 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.