2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He dominated the Derby last season at Anfield. This season he dominated the midfield against wolves and West Ham to name 2 games. He was having a decent game against Tottenham before the incident with Son. He’s a quality player. The only player in midfield who carries the ball with intent. Great touch, strong. Lovely weight of pass. If he had a quality team around him he would shine and it shown last year when he was playing with Gana.
He did play very well against West Ham but so did Davies and Iwobi. It was a really good team display of passing and movement. He was a part of it but I don't know that he stood out above the others. Also when the opposition is Rice and Noble it really does have to be taken with a whole truck load of salt as that is about the worst midfield pairing you could put out. Wolves was a fairly even game so I wouldn't say anyone dominated that.

I think he'd look better with better players but that tends to be true of most average players with decent technique. To me Andre is a bit of a tweener positionally and that hurts him. Not quite good enough attacking to make that his thing nor good enough at defending for it to be that nor good enough at passing for it to be neither. And I just can't get past the disasters like Fulham and Villa. Top players can't have massive gaps in their form like that.

I’ve been undecided about Gomes.. as many if not more ineffective games as good ones.. but without testing my theory his injury preceded a big downturn in results... I think we have missed him a lot from the midfield this season. With Gueye and him out the rest just aren’t at that level...

I’ve been undecided about Gomes.. as many if not more ineffective games as good ones.. but without testing my theory his injury preceded a big downturn in results... I think we have missed him a lot from the midfield this season. With Gueye and him out the rest just aren’t at that level...
He seems to me to be our most important player, when he played well we won when he was poor we lost, dominates games when on form unfortunately that's not regularly enough.. hopefully be back the same player but very few do after an injury like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.