Votes: 30 2.6%
  • Moyes

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • Other, please state

Votes: 89 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to see? I don't care if we're Norwich City. I expect the club to go after the best possible candidate, especially if they're available and work their way from there.

What would be sad to see, is the club not even try because we are little Everton.

Mourinho wants to stay in the Premier League and is available. So there is a chance, however small that we could get him.

Whats the point of spunking hundreds of millions on transfer fees, agents, a brand new stadium on the docks, only to show no ambition when it comes to the most important part... Appointing a good manager.
I admire your passion friend. However your post perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make. You only seem to see black and white. Your grasp of reality is skewed.

IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET MOURINHO. IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF OUR TIME.

Do you know how much he typically demands from clubs. Please look this up. It will shock you. He will only join clubs who can offer him gargantuan transfer funds and that have the commercial clout to attract world class players.

YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WE ARE NOT AT THAT LEVEL YET.

Our club is much smaller comparatively than the mega clubs from a global branding perspective. It is not like back in the 80s when it was how rich your owner was and the gates your club could attract on match day. No, it's about commercial revenue pulled in from countless streams across the world. Please read about financial fair play and see how this undermines the smaller clubs chances of success, even if they have mega rich owners! It's all about how much money your club can generate.

Try and see that without a truly global branding you simply will not be able to attract the best managers/players. It's simple economics. To get up there with the big boys now requires a shrewd operator at the helm with many talented people below them. The Everton business, as a commercial entity, needs to grow exponentially moving forward. Unfortunately we only make a decent profit when we sell our best players to the bigger clubs.

Unfortunately our board has little experience or proven success in these matters I've covered above. Until this improves we will be swimming with the little fish I'm afraid.

All we can do us be realistic about the situation. We can hope that our board can identify and attract a talented manager who is on the way up.

We are a club that needs to nurture and develop players and managers alike and when appropriate move them on.

We can't rely on massive shirt sales, gargantuan corporate sponsorship deals and lucrative overseas tours.

So let's just all get some perspective here and chill.

Last edited:
I like the romanticism of Arteta - young, hungry, was a technical player, learnt from the best at City and (I hate this phrase btw) gets the club.

However, it would be a huge risk and I think there is more rotten in the state of Denmark than many of us even thought. We have been beset by the majority of the same problems for as long as I care to remember - much of it under Moyes too, who many are keen to see back, although why baffles me. Foremost amongst these is a weak, small club mentality. We are terrible away from home, flinch against the big teams, stuff up clear opportunities to advance, never destroy teams and play it safe far too often. We are a laughing stock and have been for a long time. Moyes put much of this in place, yes he improved us from the dark days of Smith, but he persisted with poor players because the were good pros - Hibbert, Neville etc, seldom changed system, was one-dimensional with our play (yes we got it forward quicker than we do now, but it was an early ball forward and an over-reliance of crosses into the box). We were shocking away from home, soiled ourselves against the big teams and fluffed our lines against poor opposition in the cups. We still have most of the same problems. And even when we did beat big teams at home under Moyes it was always done in the style of a cup upset - using blood and thunder to upset a better team, rather than actually outplaying them. This is fine, to an extent, but at some point you have to really outplay the opposition if you want to be a top team. By my count over the years the only times we've played decent level opposition off the park were 3-1 vs United under Moyes, 3-0 vs Arsenal under Martinez and 4-0 vs City under Koeman. In the others, yes we may have been the better team in terms of application but we never outplayed them with footballing prowess.

We need to change these things, which brings me on to my next point. I don't like the man, I don't like what he stands for, but if he would come, we should try for Mourinho. Yes he can play bland football compared to the likes of Pep and Klopp, but I bet it would be a lot better than what we've been used to. There won't be the same weak mentality issues - not a chance. He will instill a big club mentality from top to bottom. He is a meticulous tactician - he will give a load back to any media outlet or opposition that would seek to belittle us. He would antagonise opponents, he would teach us to add snide to our game. He would put pressure on the board to get better players. Yes, he would more than likely not stay long but he could, in just a short time, turn around a mentality that has been 30 years in the making. And given the sorry state of things for so long, under so many different managers, with so many false dawns, I genuinely think it would be worth the risk.

I admire your passion friend. However your post perfectly illustrates the point I was trying to make. You only seem to see black and white. Your grasp of reality is skewed.

Do you know how much he typically demands from clubs. Please look this up. It will shock you. He will only join clubs who can offer him gargantuan transfer funds and that have the commercial clout to attract world class players.

Our club is much smaller comparatively than the mega clubs from a global branding perspective. It is not like back in the 80s when it was how rich your owner was and the gates your club could attract on match day. No, it's about commercial revenue pulled in from countless streams across the world. Please read about financial fair play and see how this undermines the smaller clubs chances of success, even if they have mega rich owners! It's all about how much money your club can generate.

Try and see that without a truly global branding you simply will not be able to attract the best managers/players. It's simple economics. To get up there with the big boys now requires a shrewd operator at the helm with many talented people below them. The Everton business, as a commercial entity, needs to grow exponentially moving forward. Unfortunately we only make a decent profit when we sell our best players to the bigger clubs.

Unfortunately our board has little experience or proven success in these matters I've covered above. Until this improves we will be swimming with the little fish I'm afraid.

All we can do us be realistic about the situation. We can hope that our board can identify and attract a talented manager who is on the way up.

We are a club that needs to nurture and develop players and managers alike and when appropriate move them on.

We can't rely on massive shirt sales, gargantuan corporate sponsorship deals and lucrative overseas tours.

Apathy Apathy Apathy.....will kill this club

Realistic about the situation?I was expecting a top 6 challenge.Not 18th and 7 points off the top six.Hmm get some perspective here and chill.Ironic words, considering that we are currently residing in the bottom three.

I like the romanticism of Arteta - young, hungry, was a technical player, learnt from the best at City and (I hate this phrase btw) gets the club.

However, it would be a huge risk and I think there is more rotten in the state of Denmark than many of us even thought. We have been beset by the majority of the same problems for as long as I care to remember - much of it under Moyes too, who many are keen to see back, although why baffles me. Foremost amongst these is a weak, small club mentality. We are terrible away from home, flinch against the big teams, stuff up clear opportunities to advance, never destroy teams and play it safe far too often. We are a laughing stock and have been for a long time. Moyes put much of this in place, yes he improved us from the dark days of Smith, but he persisted with poor players because the were good pros - Hibbert, Neville etc, seldom changed system, was one-dimensional with our play (yes we got it forward quicker than we do now, but it was an early ball forward and an over-reliance of crosses into the box). We were shocking away from home, soiled ourselves against the big teams and fluffed our lines against poor opposition in the cups. We still have most of the same problems. And even when we did beat big teams at home under Moyes it was always done in the style of a cup upset - using blood and thunder to upset a better team, rather than actually outplaying them. This is fine, to an extent, but at some point you have to really outplay the opposition if you want to be a top team. By my count over the years the only times we've played decent level opposition off the park were 3-1 vs United under Moyes, 3-0 vs Arsenal under Martinez and 4-0 vs City under Koeman. In the others, yes we may have been the better team in terms of application but we never outplayed them with footballing prowess.

We need to change these things, which brings me on to my next point. I don't like the man, I don't like what he stands for, but if he would come, we should try for Mourinho. Yes he can play bland football compared to the likes of Pep and Klopp, but I bet it would be a lot better than what we've been used to. There won't be the same weak mentality issues - not a chance. He will instill a big club mentality from top to bottom. He is a meticulous tactician - he will give a load back to any media outlet or opposition that would seek to belittle us. He would antagonise opponents, he would teach us to add snide to our game. He would put pressure on the board to get better players. Yes, he would more than likely not stay long but he could, in just a short time, turn around a mentality that has been 30 years in the making. And given the sorry state of things for so long, under so many different managers, with so many false dawns, I genuinely think it would be worth the risk.

Mourinho is just a fantasy that is simply never going to happen. He isn't interested in clubs that would have a party after a 6th place finish.

I'm not sure Moyes is the best man in 2019, but you have massively down played his achievements there, to the point where you are even moaning about the occasions in which we did beat the bigger teams. Apparently we didn't beat them in a good enough manner or something.

Moyes failed to properly break the top 4, but he had us in 5th and 6th place and competing in Europe, and to do that you had to perform better than 75% of the league over a full season. The way things are going, we can't even outperform the bottom 25% of the league.

The football on show right now is utter tripe, and much inferior to what we saw for most of Moyes' tenure. Moyes and his teams were far better than what we have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.