New Everton Stadium Discussion

A large and vibrant spectator participation is essential for advertisers; viewers can tell the difference between a 50 or a 60,000 thousand
ground and if that ground is bouncing and atmospheric then the club can command better rates and fees. That in turn attracts a better type of player.
and the virtuous circle starts again.

Plus no major European club has a paltry 52,000 capacity.

I have no doubt that if EFC won the League and things got back to where they should be then EFC could fill a 60,000 stadium. If Moshiri wants
to be at the top then he cannot plan for the also-ran spots and a big stadium is essential. At 52,000 we would be on a par with NUFC and WHU not
MUFC or for that matter LFC or THFC.

EFC have to plan for success and that means a 60,000+ stadium.

Juventus stadium capacity is 40k

Just saying...

For what it's worth though mate I do agree that 52k is around 4/5k short for my liking.

"Plus no major European club has a paltry 52,000 capacity."

Well, a paltry 44k capacity never harmed the reputation of Anfield for many years before the extension.

Juventus stadium capacity is 40k

Just saying...

For what it's worth though mate I do agree that 52k is around 4/5k short for my liking.

I would hope that the consultation makes clear the fans views on capacity.

There are very many that want 60k, but I agree also that another 4/5k on this would win the support of the vast majority and settle this beyond doubt.

It was only this week I watched the whole presentation online and what strikes me is the air of confidence from all of the speakers. Though I wouldn't ever take anything for granted, it does indicate that the work on funding must be well advanced, although if so, that may well be locked in to a 52k capacity.

A large and vibrant spectator participation is essential for advertisers; viewers can tell the difference between a 50 or a 60,000 thousand
ground and if that ground is bouncing and atmospheric then the club can command better rates and fees. That in turn attracts a better type of player.
and the virtuous circle starts again.

Plus no major European club has a paltry 52,000 capacity.

I have no doubt that if EFC won the League and things got back to where they should be then EFC could fill a 60,000 stadium. If Moshiri wants
to be at the top then he cannot plan for the also-ran spots and a big stadium is essential. At 52,000 we would be on a par with NUFC and WHU not
MUFC or for that matter LFC or THFC.

EFC have to plan for success and that means a 60,000+ stadium.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juventus_Stadium

Juventus - 41,000 capacity

Lets be honest anything less than 55k is poor form - in 3-4 years time do people think clubs like Wolves, Leicester and the like wont have increased their own capacities?

The move should be about gaining a financial edge over our competitors but we have no chance going with just 52k.

Make no mistake if this stadium move is done right and the stadium is made to be immense- we will get alot of students and visitors to the city attending games it wont just be the hardcore EFC fans who go GP.

I don't think this is a major issue but in terms of fine tuning the stadium, does anyone else think the roof starts too high above the South Stand? There seems to be a big height gap between the last row and the roof.
Why not have it lower and the lads at the back can stand on their chairs and bang away on the roof? It just makes it feel a little open.

"The move should be about gaining a financial edge over our competitors but we have no chance going with just 52k."

You should look at where the "big" clubs derive their financial advantage nowadays. It is through commercial activity rather than through gate receipts. Certainly the gate advantage helped Utd through the 70s, 80s and 90s but that model has been superceded.

Lets be honest anything less than 55k is poor form - in 3-4 years time do people think clubs like Wolves, Leicester and the like wont have increased their own capacities?

The move should be about gaining a financial edge over our competitors but we have no chance going with just 52k.

Make no mistake if this stadium move is done right and the stadium is made to be immense- we will get alot of students and visitors to the city attending games it wont just be the hardcore EFC fans who go GP.

That’s the one piece I don’t understand. We were told the stadium was essential for us to compete at the top end financially. Then the architect is telling us we don’t want to go over 52k because the atmosphere will be impacted. If it was about atmosphere we could just stay at Goodison and take the pillars out.

I’d rather they just came out and said 60k was too expensive, everyone could put it to bed then.

"The move should be about gaining a financial edge over our competitors but we have no chance going with just 52k."

You should look at where the "big" clubs derive their financial advantage nowadays. It is through commercial activity rather than through gate receipts. Certainly the gate advantage helped Utd through the 70s, 80s and 90s but that model has been superceded.

Man Utds matchday revenue for last year was 124m
Evertons was 18m.

Man Utds commercial revenue was 256m
Evertons was 21m

People think an extra 5k seats is gonna bridge that gap.

Its not.

An extra 5k seats is worth 2m a year and would probably add another 150m on the price, its not effective.

That’s the one piece I don’t understand. We were told the stadium was essential for us to compete at the top end financially. Then the architect is telling us we don’t want to go over 52k because the atmosphere will be impacted. If it was about atmosphere we could just stay at Goodison and take the pillars out.

I’d rather they just came out and said 60k was too expensive, everyone could put it to bed then.

For me providing we keep ticket prices from increasing too much - we would fill a 55-57k ground imo most games apart from maybe the dead rubbers like Burnley

@Pudsey is right in that sponserships etc make up most revenue for clubs now however we will never increase these channels without some dodgy deal from Usmanov or we become a regular CL team which isnt happening under a manager like Silva or any other mid tier appointment.

I just think the club have factored in the regular GP attendee's, the season ticket waiting list and a few extras without factoring in you'll have students in 3 universities in the city centre every year - quite a few who will no doubt be interested in attending a new shiny stadium to put on instagram for their family/friends back at home.

You'll have businessmen in and around the city staying here/working around the area who may want to take up an evening game etc.

The club underestimates our fanbase- forget the whole catchment area/population size crap people come out with we would sell out more than clubs like Man City and West Ham do.

Evertons was 18m.

Evertons was 21m

Its not.

An extra 5k seats is worth 2m a year and would probably add another 150m on the price, its not effective.
The size of the ground is more for the fans than anything else.
The facilities available at the ground if properly planned can generate more than gate revenue from an extra 3k fans.
However, the new ground is not being built for a decade or two but maybe one hundred years and in all probability the new stadium will fill to capacity from day one and I think that within a decade there will be a crisis over capacity.

I feel we will fill the stadium immediately even though we have not won a trophy in 24 years, can you imagine the demand if we are lucky enough to start winning now on a regular basis.

Evertons was 18m.

Evertons was 21m

Its not.

more guess work.

For me providing we keep ticket prices from increasing too much - we would fill a 55-57k ground imo most games apart from maybe the dead rubbers like Burnley

@Pudsey is right in that sponserships etc make up most revenue for clubs now however we will never increase these channels without some dodgy deal from Usmanov or we become a regular CL team which isnt happening under a manager like Silva or any other mid tier appointment.

I just think the club have factored in the regular GP attendee's, the season ticket waiting list and a few extras without factoring in you'll have students in 3 universities in the city centre every year - quite a few who will no doubt be interested in attending a new shiny stadium to put on instagram for their family/friends back at home.

You'll have businessmen in and around the city staying here/working around the area who may want to take up an evening game etc.

The club underestimates our fanbase- forget the whole catchment area/population size crap people come out with we would sell out more than clubs like Man City and West Ham do.
We would certainly fill 57000 plus most games if not all. Looking at the design can’t see why we can’t have a third tier on one of the side stands. As some have said I think it’s due to cost and that’s all, hence the safe standing which is a cheaper option.

the money the capacity brings in is buttons. It's the facilities that bring in the revenue and the potential matchday. I think we are also locked in with regards to the area we have to build in. Meis talks alot about the dock being a perfect blueprint (or along those lines) for putting a football pitch in especially considering there is space around that is quired.

From people I know in football and my recent time in it, seems to be a case of when, not if stafe standing is introduced so the whole expanding to 60k when Safe Standing is available is what the club are going for. May just require a bit of patience for it to be deemed acceptable. Then we'd have a 60k stadium which would be bob-on.

Personally i dont see us filling much more than 52k-55k anyway, not straight away and I'd rather know im going to a full New Goodison than one that will have an upper tier full of empty rows.

Capacity isnt everthing, we will have a state of the art ground full every week that is purposed only for football.

It will be great.

edit:

One thing I dont think i've thought about in the past though is, could a limited vision of transport links be a reasoning for a 'capped' capacity? Any rules/guidelines the club must follow? Only thinking that as the crowd can only disperse in a 180 degree direction so would mean an almost guaranteed level of traffic and only one trainline?