2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
After last summer's transfer window shut Brands gave an interview a few days after to evertonfc.com to explain his signings. Nothing so far this time.

I wonder why?
Because the window isn't shut? I have my fingers crossed that there will be some outgoings to the European clubs before it closes there.

I would rather he got on with the job & not have to explain/justify everything he does. Also the market is still open don't forget, he's got business to do shifting deadwood hopefully

You did whinge last year about how he shouldn’t be in the public eye though, right?
...and if he does want the limelight and centre stage then he has to be consistent...

2aa2f7_f31bc36b84c64f8a806d734c7061ca58-mv2.jpg

Yeah mate, you said something like he's a media whore and ought to keep himself in the background because no one wants to hear from him.
But he cant have any credibility if he pops up for victory roll interviews post-universally accepted good windows and remain tight lipped when the going has got a bit tough.

I'm looking for character here from this DoF, and I'm looking for explanations.

• Middle Finger
Reactions: FTY
But he cant have any credibility if he pops up for victory roll interviews post-universally accepted good windows and remain tight lipped when the going has got a bit tough.

I'm looking for character here from this DoF, and I'm looking for explanations.

Turns out the man has done a similar interview which is about to appear on the club website.

Well, that was what I was told - a CB on a free being looked at.

However, reagardless of that possibility, I think it noteworthy that our DoF has been on comms lockdown since the window shut. I'd expect the man responsible for the incomings to - as he did last summer post-wiindow - offer us an assessment of his work.

Let's see if it happens when the window elsewhere shuts....

I'd expect him to offer that assessment to the people he works for.

Not cranks on the interenet

Kirkbride has done a short piece on Brands’ interview but I can’t find it on the website yet. I’ll keep an eye and post what he says.

I’d like him to give an honest assessment including his view on the CB/CM situation. He’ll win people over doing so as I’m sure everyone realises it’s impossible to have a perfect window these days without Man City money.

Kirkbride has done a short piece on Brands’ interview but I can’t find it on the website yet. I’ll keep an eye and post what he says.

I’d like him to give an honest assessment including his view on the CB/CM situation. He’ll win people over doing so as I’m sure everyone realises it’s impossible to have a perfect window these days without Man City money.

Oh God, has Brands done a new interview? That’s Dave all fired up for another day.

I don't think he should have commented at the end of last summers window as some of what he said gave too much of an insight into the negotiations for Mina with Barcelona. We are small fish in that world, but I wouldn't have appreciated it if I was them.

In general terms, its best for a DOF to say nothing other than comment on the general direction things are taking at given intervals.

I half expected him to comment last week on the Zaha/Doucouré "bids" if only to dampen expectation that we have that much cash in reserve. The fact we ended up with neither player is comment enough I guess but in the 24-hour period before the window ended we looked a bit silly in my opinion, with bids and rejections flying about all over the place. Something I'd expect from West Ham really.

He / the club can't control transfer speculation and what gets coverage. But it seemed last week that the air of discipline and authority in which Brands has generally manged business at Everton to date, went out the window a little.

Marcel..

On Iwobi: not an easy transfer as he’s played a lot of games in PL and CL for his age. We wanted him as he plays in many positions and behind the striker - give Gylfi competition. Experienced for a 23 year old.

On Sidibe: after finding a great loan for JJK (he promised JJK we would find him a good loan so he can get first team experience), we wanted a loan instead of a perm signing as we wanted to see how Kenny does and follow his development compared to Sidibe’s performances.

On Delph: His character is one of the main reasons for signing him. Began speaking to City a few months ago and it was a tough negotiation as we didn’t want to spend big money on a 29 year old. Delph excited with the club’s plans and Brands visited his home to discuss everything with him - he prepared the stats and a video to show him where he can fit in with us.

Later in the same day Delph’s agent called Marcel to say he wanted to join and that they were very impressed/excited by the presentation. Says the small details like this make a big difference when convincing players with the team and the club.

On Lossl: Virginia had a great season in u23s and he wanted to send him out on loan. Lossl was number 1 target for Pickford’s competition - free transfer and a good age. Both Marcel and Marco very happy with the 3 goalkeepers we have. Called Virginia “a very talented young player”.

On Gomes: The biggest help in bringing Gomes back was the fans. In negotiations with Barca the fact he wanted to come back because of how he loved the fans/the club made it much easier as he felt at home from day 1. Interest from other clubs (as well as in England), but Gomes only wanted to come here and made it clear throughout.

No mention of the players/positions we didn’t get sorted though. Great insight in the detail Brands goes into to convince a player to join - not surprising as a player of Delph’s level and experience would need this kind of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.