2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it all boils down to is we have got a lot of small time fans who supporting Everton over the years has programmed into accepting mediocrity and mid table, in reality its really sad to see it first hand.

Then you have the other fans who want more from Everton and realise DCL will never be the answer.

I'm not sure what I'm making up mate, Dominic Calvert Lewin had very good games against the top teams at the back end of last season. You seemed to have an issue with that, and in general there's seems to be a bit of an agenda at play from people not acknowledging that. If thats not you then I apologise and take it back.

As I've said throughout the thread there is a lot he needs to work on, but denying some of his good performances seems self-defeating.

You didn't mention Niasse but the original discussion goes back to which player contributes more (aside from goals) out of Tosun, Niasse and Calvert Lewin. It's my view that Calvert Lewin offers a lot more. You seem to think I'm terrible at forming opinions on football which is fair enough but do you think Niasse offers as much as Calvert Lewin outside of goals?
If you look back just 2 pages you'll see I was defending Calvert Lewin. I'm not trying to say he's worse than Niasse and never was. Nor did I have an issue with anyone saying he had good games.

The thing is I don't see why you need to be one extreme or the other. I don't think he's the worst player ever to wear the shirt, but neither do I think he 'terrorised' teams last year or that defenders 'couldn't live with him'. I think he had some good games where he led the line well and should be proud of himself. He did a good job for the team. None of the performances made me think of Lukaku when he was really good (Liverpool and Arsenal in his first season, that Chelsea cup game etc) or Rooney in his first spell or Ferguson when he was really up for it. There were performances there where i'd say the defences couldn't live with those players. They came off wondering what on earth had just happened. I thought the Calvert Lewin performances last season were just pretty good centre forward play, running the channels and winning headers. Good, maybe man of the match performances, but not ones that make me reach for a thesaurus to find the right superlatives.

Suggesting that people are too thick to understand what they're seeing, or that they have an agenda because they don't agree with you, is pretty poor form in my eyes.

What it all boils down to is we have got a lot of small time fans who supporting Everton over the years has programmed into accepting mediocrity and mid table, in reality its really sad to see it first hand.

Then you have the other fans who want more from Everton and realise DCL will never be the answer.
no mate, that is not it all. People are allowed to see something in a player who was part of a good turn in form at the back end of last season. Others are entitled to not rate him as well. Nothing to do with accepting mid table, we all want the same thing. Stop making it more than it is. Do I personally think long term DCL is the answer, I am still unsure, I would hope Keane comes in & hits the ground running & Force DCL to up his game. The interest in Zaha showed to me that the club want 3 lads with pace & power up top & I would think that in Jan or defo next summer another player will be brought in. Until then we have to get behind the lad & hope he improves his goal tally

no mate, that is not it all. People are allowed to see something in a player who was part of a good turn in form at the back end of last season. Others are entitled to not rate him as well. Nothing to do with accepting mid table, we all want the same thing. Stop making it more than it is. Do I personally think long term DCL is the answer, I am still unsure, I would hope Keane comes in & hits the ground running & Force DCL to up his game. The interest in Zaha showed to me that the club want 3 lads with pace & power up top & I would think that in Jan or defo next summer another player will be brought in. Until then we have to get behind the lad & hope he improves his goal tally
Lad, he's absolute plop, the best thing people can say is he's an athlete and a nice lad it's getting tiresome

It's not like we're asking for Eldorado ; just for a striker who will score goals. A simplistic vision no doubt, but sometimes simple things are the best.

Are they? Who’s scoring them?

We scored 62 goals in lukakus final season

Since then.. 44, and 54 so how are they being spread when it’s less?

Also the finishing positions are now lower since lukakus last season. You need to research pal

One position since his last season. The seasons before that we came 13th or so.

Richarlison and Sigurdsson are the ones getting the goals mainly.

We were a 7th-13th team when he was here, we are a 7th - 13th team after he left.

It's a team game. The change since he left is negligible. Now if we could get someone who scores his goals and also creates for the team then that would be great...

Lad, he's absolute plop, the best thing people can say is he's an athlete and a nice lad it's getting tiresome
that is your opinion lad, I've not said he is great but I have seen empty heads amongst our fan base give [Poor language removed] like Niasse more backing

If you look back just 2 pages you'll see I was defending Calvert Lewin. I'm not trying to say he's worse than Niasse and never was. Nor did I have an issue with anyone saying he had good games.

The thing is I don't see why you need to be one extreme or the other. I don't think he's the worst player ever to wear the shirt, but neither do I think he 'terrorised' teams last year or that defenders 'couldn't live with him'. I think he had some good games where he led the line well and should be proud of himself. He did a good job for the team. None of the performances made me think of Lukaku when he was really good (Liverpool and Arsenal in his first season, that Chelsea cup game etc) or Rooney in his first spell or Ferguson when he was really up for it. There were performances there where i'd say the defences couldn't live with those players. They came off wondering what on earth had just happened. I thought the Calvert Lewin performances last season were just pretty good centre forward play, running the channels and winning headers. Good, maybe man of the match performances, but not ones that make me reach for a thesaurus to find the right superlatives.

Suggesting that people are too thick to understand what they're seeing, or that they have an agenda because they don't agree with you, is pretty poor form in my eyes.

Fair enough. I agree with you that there needs to be a balance in views. As I've said throughout there are things he needs to work on.

As regards the terrorising defenders, I'm sorry but I think he did. I think Mustafi went to bed having nightmares about him after playing him. He bossed United's centre halves as well. There is no shortage of golden age thinking with performances, that performances 20 years ago were different. I thought in (particularly) those two games he overpowered the opponents defences and got critical assists in the games.

That has to be balanced out though against what he does in other games. It's not good enough to be so dominant against sides in the top 6 and then not score goals against your Fulhams, your Crystal Palace's and have a peripheral impact upon the game.

If you want to talk about Lukaku, whathe did was capitalise fully on those sort of opponents. And it's no bad thing, because it means games that may end 1-1, or 0-0 you end up winning 2 or 3 -1. They are the games we need to win if we want to take the next step.

I don't think I've said people are too thick to see what I see. I don't remember calling anyone thick. If people put comparisons up of Niasse's goals to Calvert Lewin's goals then I would say it's an overly simplistic comparison. I also think it has some merit by the way, Niasse makes things happen and he deserves credit for that. However there's a reason why no PL side will even consider him as a loan option.

As for the agenda, I do think there's a bit of an agenda from specific posters who seem to be very negative across a number of threads. Whenever something goes wrong not to plan they are busy finding the easiest targets and putting up stats such as the one about the Niasse V Calvert Lewin goal returns.

Yet when some stats are shown back to them that his goals for minute is presented it's intimated that you are too stupid to understand football for deigning to make a comparison. Yet to suggest there might be an agenda means I have crossed the line of acceptability. I am fine with disagreement too, but thats different to persistent negativity.

based on what?

what exactly has he improved so much on? he doesn't score, he doesn't assist, he's not particularly good at holding the ball up, he's not very good on the ball, he can't head the ball

he done well towards the end of last season stretching defences and bringing others into play with his runs, but that's about it

he's 22 now and he still can't finish, not even remotely a good finisher either

don't dislike the lad at all, but he isn't good enough

He was a key part in our team from Feb until the end of the season where we were one of the best teams in the league.

I’m guessing he deserves no credit for any of our performances against the best teams as well?

He needs to score and assist more for sure but as you say he’s only 22 - fans need to remember that.

He was a key part in our team from Feb until the end of the season where we were one of the best teams in the league.

I’m guessing he deserves no credit for any of our performances against the best teams as well?

He needs to score and assist more for sure but as you say he’s only 22 - fans need to remember that.

I just acknowledged he done well in that period. But let's not make it out something it wasn't, he didn't win us those games, he just done a decent job running around and pulling defenders out of position allowing others to exploit, it's hardly a unique trait to have.

All good doing that again the good teams but where was he against the teams we struggled to break down when you need a goalscorer. Fulham and palace away to name a couple ( results which ultimately cost us 7th and Europe)

At 22 you should be able to finish chances. He incapable, is that something he can pick up? I doubt it

How much time do you give, is this a make or break season.
I reckon the goals will come, he established himself in Silva's team after Christmas, did well so deserves the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.