2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree with this. It happens every year. Point out any issues with recruitment, early season form etc and everyone’s on your back for being negative. Then we lose 3 on the bounce in December and everyone wants the manager out and start calling the players a disgrace.

I think people are right to be positive at the start of the season, but there has to be some degree of reality to the expectations. We finished what, 20 points behind 6th last season. Thats an enormous jump to make. I almost feel the over optimism at the start of season then leads into the panicked state in December when the reality kicks in we are unlikely to achieve the goals we set.

Our aim ought to be to get as close to 6th as possible. Had we have had a window where Doucoure, Zaha & Zouma came in we could have had a different conversation. Until that happens, we can respect some of the good work done, hope a young team keeps improving and look for progress.

I know this probably sounds unduly pessimistic, but my first goal this season is that we don't blow up like we did under Koeman's 2nd season. Nobody predicted it in the summer, and there was a lot of talk of winning the summer transfer window. We need to avoid that first. If we can then improve on last season, even better.

I think we see the best of this team, much like last season after Christmas. It remains a work in progress.

There were positives last week at Palace. I like we are putting to bed the idea the team will implode if Zouma/Gana leave. Keane and Mina can clearly play together. We look solid. We haven't got enough match winners in the final third yet though, and they are the lads who win you games against the bottom 13 of the league, home and away. The last season we did it consistently, we had Lukaku, Deulofeu, Barkley and Mirallas all on song.

The hope has to be Kean can have the impact Lukaku did. That will certainly help.

It was exactly the same last season, people calling for Silva’s head after 5 games. The bottom line is, as long as Liverpool are being successful and we’re not, people will not have any patience.

Ican't believe how frenzied people get, used to be a time when nobody took much notice of the first few results because teams and signings aren't settled, modern day fans and society in general just want it now now now be it success or material possessions, people are weird, I am becoming a misanthrope.

It was exactly the same last season, people calling for Silva’s head after 5 games. The bottom line is, as long as Liverpool are being successful and we’re not, people will not have any patience.
nowt to do with Liverpool mate, we have had bubbleheads spouting nonsense even when they were struggling.

I think people should calm down. I honestly would think we were 30 games in and in a relegation battle the way some are reacting to a 0-0 at palace.
It's probably not worth coming to on match-days unless we win because some of the knee jerk reaction people have is absolutely insane.
win marco good
lose marco bad
rinse and repeat

I think the issue in part is that people want the summer transfer window to represent one giant leap in terms of making a breakthrough, and then get progressively frustrated as results and performances dictate that that will not happen. I am definitely guilty of this myself, it just comes with the realisation that another year will pass, another year of flatlining and nothing of particular note in terms of concrete achievement.

Considering the limitations of doing business in January, the bulk of our spending now gets done in a two week window, once a year. If you consider the amount of rebuilding work that Brands and Silva have had to plan for and implement, and if we look at things over the context of the length of Silva's contract, then roughly speaking, in terms of an overhaul, we are not doing badly. You can't make predictions on the outcome of one game, but the issues were depressingly familiar on Saturday. We must give the new signings time to bed down though.

The main issues as I see it are twofold 1) We have begun the last two summers needing, depending on argument, 4-8 new players. With a finite budget, it is difficult to spread that around amongst so many new recruits 2) Making a big-money signing, flash signing, such as we tried for with Zaha, is inherently difficult due in part to the resistance faced from the selling club, and the impact that a single large spend would have on our ability to spread the budget elsewhere.

Without selling any of our better players next summer, and I think Richarlison will be likely to leave if he can improve this year, we still need at minimum another CB, a creative option in midfield, and 2 forwards. That's assuming all of this summers new signings can come good.

If these things happen, then perhaps this time next year, with further good recruitment, we may realistically find ourselves in a position to mount a proper challenge to the top six. I think the ultimate goal is to get to the stage where we can spend all of our budget on one or two top class players as Spurs can now do. Before that, it's a bit chicken and egg. We have to hope the signings are a success, we can't attract the highest quality players, but we also need Silva to mould a team that is better collectively than the sum of its parts. It's not all about money.

I think people are right to be positive at the start of the season, but there has to be some degree of reality to the expectations. We finished what, 20 points behind 6th last season. Thats an enormous jump to make. I almost feel the over optimism at the start of season then leads into the panicked state in December when the reality kicks in we are unlikely to achieve the goals we set.

Our aim ought to be to get as close to 6th as possible. Had we have had a window where Doucoure, Zaha & Zouma came in we could have had a different conversation. Until that happens, we can respect some of the good work done, hope a young team keeps improving and look for progress.

I know this probably sounds unduly pessimistic, but my first goal this season is that we don't blow up like we did under Koeman's 2nd season. Nobody predicted it in the summer, and there was a lot of talk of winning the summer transfer window. We need to avoid that first. If we can then improve on last season, even better.

I think we see the best of this team, much like last season after Christmas. It remains a work in progress.

There were positives last week at Palace. I like we are putting to bed the idea the team will implode if Zouma/Gana leave. Keane and Mina can clearly play together. We look solid. We haven't got enough match winners in the final third yet though, and they are the lads who win you games against the bottom 13 of the league, home and away. The last season we did it consistently, we had Lukaku, Deulofeu, Barkley and Mirallas all on song.

The hope has to be Kean can have the impact Lukaku did. That will certainly help.
It's not just that.
Brands had a list of targets but waited until the last day to do business, he got away with it last season because the teams wanted to sell those players.

This time they didn't. He was left with little time trying to bring in a host of targets.

Also what happened to getting rid of deadwood by any means necessary.

It's not just that.
Brands had a list of targets but waited until the last day to do business, he got away with it last season because the teams wanted to sell those players.

This time they didn't. He was left with little time trying to bring in a host of targets.

Also what happened to getting rid of deadwood by any means necessary.
we got rid of 17 players, 7 on a perm, What more do you want my friendly red poster.

I can’t have that, catcher.

Our aim ought to be to finish as near the top as we can.

If that is 7th then so be it....but we must always be aiming higher.

I think the issue in part is that people want the summer transfer window to represent one giant leap in terms of making a breakthrough, and then get progressively frustrated as results and performances dictate that that will not happen. I am definitely guilty of this myself, it just comes with the realisation that another year will pass, another year of flatlining and nothing of particular note in terms of concrete achievement.

Considering the limitations of doing business in January, the bulk of our spending now gets done in a two week window, once a year. If you consider the amount of rebuilding work that Brands and Silva have had to plan for and implement, and if we look at things over the context of the length of Silva's contract, then roughly speaking, in terms of an overhaul, we are not doing badly. You can't make predictions on the outcome of one game, but the issues were depressingly familiar on Saturday. We must give the new signings time to bed down though.

The main issues as I see it are twofold 1) We have begun the last two summers needing, depending on argument, 4-8 new players. With a finite budget, it is difficult to spread that around amongst so many new recruits 2) Making a big-money signing, flash signing, such as we tried for with Zaha, is inherently difficult due in part to the resistance faced from the selling club, and the impact that a single large spend would have on our ability to spread the budget elsewhere.

Without selling any of our better players next summer, and I think Richarlison will be likely to leave if he can improve this year, we still need at minimum another CB, a creative option in midfield, and 2 forwards. That's assuming all of this summers new signings can come good.

If these things happen, then perhaps this time next year, with further good recruitment, we may realistically find ourselves in a position to mount a proper challenge to the top six. I think the ultimate goal is to get to the stage where we can spend all of our budget on one or two top class players as Spurs can now do. Before that, it's a bit chicken and egg. We have to hope the signings are a success, we can't attract the highest quality players, but we also need Silva to mould a team that is better collectively than the sum of its parts. It's not all about money.

Why would Richarlison 'leave if he improves'? He will probably sharpen his game but I doubt he will leave as long as Silva is manager....at least not during his(Richarlisons) current contract. We are not improving players to sell them, we are improving players to try to get some success for Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.