2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
One game into the season and already moaning.

It does strike me as funny that people are so overwhelmingly positive at the start of the season though, yet by Christmas all rationale will go out the window because we aren't in the top 6.

The issues with the squad are there for all to see now yet people give it a free ride because it's the opening weeks. We then get the turbo charged Silva/Brands out posts later on, almost as though the problems we have came from nowhere and we can't believe that a team which starts with Schneiderlin isn't threatening the top 6 monopoly.

We don’t win many away games though. It’s a problem that’s blighted us for decades. Can put it down to a lack of quality but teams that are worse than us tend to pull off the odd away win more than us. It’s the same with our record away from home at the top 6. You’ll see Palace win at City and Cardiff at United yet it’s never us winning there.

I don’t know what to put it down to but our approach to away games regardless of manager is not conducive to winning them. Conversely we probably have a better home record than similar teams to us. I don’t know what the answer is but I’d wager that once again we’ll finish the season with less than 5 wins away from home.
I agree that we don't get enough away wins. However we were slightly better last season with 5, but I also thought we were unlucky not to come away with 3 points in the games at Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace and Spurs, we were 2-0 up at Newcastle before Pickford had his brainfart, and were desperately unlucky not to get something out of the games with United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

There were games we lost against some of the weaker teams when we were just poor, and you can't justify them but overall I think under Silva our play away from home has been a bit more positive, certainly than it was under Allardyce. We just need to take our chances when they come and we've struggled to do that away from home for some reason.

It does strike me as funny that people are so overwhelmingly positive at the start of the season though, yet by Christmas all rationale will go out the window because we aren't in the top 6.

The issues with the squad are there for all to see now yet people give it a free ride because it's the opening weeks. We then get the turbo charged Silva/Brands out posts later on, almost as though the problems we have came from nowhere and we can't believe that a team which starts with Schneiderlin isn't threatening the top 6 monopoly.
100% agree with this. It happens every year. Point out any issues with recruitment, early season form etc and everyone’s on your back for being negative. Then we lose 3 on the bounce in December and everyone wants the manager out and start calling the players a disgrace.

100% agree with this. It happens every year. Point out any issues with recruitment, early season form etc and everyone’s on your back for being negative. Then we lose 3 on the bounce in December and everyone wants the manager out and start calling the players a disgrace.

It's group think at its worst. Question anything on the forum at the moment and you are a disgrace for not being supportive. People would be much better off to find a nice balance but with us football fans it seems to be all or nothing.

Yeah it’s odd because there’s times we pull out a performance like we did at Burnley, or win at a tough ground like Leicester and you think here we go. Then we’ll go to Fulham and it’s a complete non performance.
We lack creativity we dont make enough chances and we dont take the one's we create. Obviously hoping Iwobi and Kean will help with this but it's what it is currently.
We don't play well against teams in a low block. We also lack belief and arrogance to crush these teams that City and RS do. We need to change formation the 4231 becomes a 451 too often for me.

First game of the season, pre season disrupted because of players coming back at different times .
It would have been great to get our transfer business done earlier but players are not always available when you want them.

We are in transition, we are different to City, Liverpool,Spurs in that they have very settled teams which are tweaked with just one or two additions.
We are building a team and after some weeks we will see Delph, Iwomi, Gbamin,Kean and possibly Sidibe in the team on a regular basis but it will take time for them to settle and for the team to settle.

Saturday was not a bad result but not a great one either. Surviving with ten men made the point that bit better.

I think we are lacking leaders on the pitch and I think Delph will be very important in this respect, but, I do believe patience is required, a scarce commodity on this forum.

If you have to explain why something isn't a disaster, it usually was.
Not really.

There’ll always be people who love to sensationalise things and call something a disaster when the reality is quite far from that.

These people are usually quite stubborn and pointless arguing with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.