2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘I like him’ ‘he works hard’ ‘he’s young’ ‘he only cost 1.5mill’
All true but you might as well discuss the weather.

It is truely shocking he is the starting number 9 this first game and 99% predictable he would be shunted Sunday league style to the wing later in the game.

He was the number 9 for us when we went from showing hideous form over the winter, to being the 3rd best team in the run in (for the 10/11 games or so). Why wouldn't he start the next game? "Truly shocking" it might be a bit underwhelming, but the levels of hyperbole are incredible.

If he doesn't add goals to his game, Kean will quickly replace him.

The Davies comparison hasn't born out yet, he seems to be playing further forward this season so lets see. The lad appears to have flatlined somewhat.

As for Allardyce, in all honesty I was wrong initially with him. Had a massive tantrum when he was appointed. To be fair most people came round to such a view (you are right to say that) but I actually think he did a better job than most give him credit for. He was never the right fit for Everton and will regret not building upon what was promising start.

As for DCL if he is so awful how did he dominate the defences of the 3rd, 5th and 6th best team last season? If he has no strengths how did he manage that? Physically he's very imposing, he's quick and as good in the air as any player we've had since Cahill.

Ironically enough his goalscoring according to stats is ok too, his Xg to goals stacks up. A lot of that is because he scores headers though.

For me he has to be a lot greedier against poorer teams. It's not just his finishing it's the getting himself into goalscoring positions. Against sides like Palace, the best strikers would have 2-3-4 good opportunities and too often he is not central to the team. A lot of that would be helped with better movement and allowing him to utilise his speed/strength.

I've seen Steve Watson, Stracqualursi, Angel, John Spencer etc all have a go up front for us. I've seen some abysmal centre forwards. I've seen lots of good ones too. Calvert Lewin ranks in between those groups. There's lots of raw abilities there, but if he doesn't utilise them he will be replaced in the team by Kean. So it's a win win.

Best in the air since Cahill.

What the absolute F is that about. Fellaini has just cushioned that comment on his velcro chest and volleyed it back onto your pen hand. And that's before we get onto the likes of Mina

Davies has flatlined? From what, the game against City? He's the Bob Geldof of football players, dining out on some distant past weekend. "He's playing further forward" - yer, because we've tried him everywhere else and he's been guff.

DCL is riiiiiight there in the mix with Angell, Cadamatri, Jo and the rest in terms of being hopeless. He's not even as good as Beckford, for shame.

What excuses? The post pointed out he scores/assists broadly in line with rashford. Surely the people making excuses would be the ones stating that even though the evidence says otherwise, the evidence is wrong on the basis of what they see (I have no idea how that is even measured for comparison).

If people don't rate Calvert Lewin thats fair enough. I can see why they don't. Lets not try to make out that having a different view, or doing a comparison of goals/assists is about excuses though just because you don't like the conclusions.

He`s only young.

He needs to be given time.

He doesn`t get enough service.

Etc etc etc.

I respect your view point mate, but he just hasn`t got what it takes to cut it in the Premier League.

For what it`s worth, I think he`d be outstanding in the Championship, as he`d get that little bit more time that he needs.

I daren't read back my articles so difficult to offer much comment. Williams had a decent start under Allardyce, but once rotation kicked in it all went downhill.
And you are still looking for excuses just say it mate you were wrong he was crap, practice in the mirror at home, we all get it wrong sometimes.

Best in the air since Cahill.

What the absolute F is that about. Fellaini has just cushioned that comment on his velcro chest and volleyed it back onto your pen hand. And that's before we get onto the likes of Mina

Davies has flatlined? From what, the game against City? He's the Bob Geldof of football players, dining out on some distant past weekend. "He's playing further forward" - yer, because we've tried him everywhere else and he's been guff.

DCL is riiiiiight there in the mix with Angell, Cadamatri, Jo and the rest in terms of being hopeless. He's not even as good as Beckford, for shame.

I ever thought Fellaini was particularly dominant in the air given his size, he was very good at bringing others into play via his chest.

Davies has flatlined over the last two years really. I am not sure he's come on much at all in that time which is a shame as he looked very promising when he first broke through.

I thought Beckford was a hideous centre forward, after leaving us I can't imagine he scored more than 10 goals in any season at the championship level. Shocking footballer and one we did very well to get a fee for. Scored 8 goals for us in the league and that was his pinnacle.

Could we not play DCL as a number 10 similar to when we played Naismith there. OK we would lose a bit of creativity but it would give teams something more to think about and his work rate means we could rely on him to track back.
He has done nothing to suggest that he could play there?

No one should make the team based sorely on their work rate and at the minute I’m not seeing what DCL offers bar a physical presence who can run really quickly.

He`s only young.

He needs to be given time.

He doesn`t get enough service.

Etc etc etc.

I respect your view point mate, but he just hasn`t got what it takes to cut it in the Premier League.

For what it`s worth, I think he`d be outstanding in the Championship, as he`d get that little bit more time that he needs.

I've not said those points though. He's had a decent run of games and there will be an expectation he delivers goals against poorer teams. That is what he needs to do to remain in this team.

I don't think anybody could have any complaints about his all-round game though. We'd all agree that, but also that he needs to add more end product.

I ever thought Fellaini was particularly dominant in the air given his size, he was very good at bringing others into play via his chest.

Davies has flatlined over the last two years really. I am not sure he's come on much at all in that time which is a shame as he looked very promising when he first broke through.

I thought Beckford was a hideous centre forward, after leaving us I can't imagine he scored more than 10 goals in any season at the championship level. Shocking footballer and one we did very well to get a fee for. Scored 8 goals for us in the league and that was his pinnacle.

Agree on Beckford 100%.... and DCL won't be outscoring those 8 league goals this season. They are both utterly awful players.

I've not said those points though. He's had a decent run of games and there will be an expectation he delivers goals against poorer teams. That is what he needs to do to remain in this team.

I don't think anybody could have any complaints about his all-round game though. We'd all agree that, but also that he needs to add more end product.

?????

What lol

Status
Not open for further replies.