New Everton Stadium Discussion

1687572_2479dab2.jpg

Well I hope not quite that bad! The design is perfectly ok Dave (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it might not be quite to your taste) but if it was a totally modern design it just wouldn't fit in with the surroundings there. Fine if you are building on field where you are landscaping the lot to match, but with the dock wall, cobbles and the pump house it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Loving this idea...

I put something in the survey about keeping part of the Bullens/Gwladys stands even if it was just 5-10 seats wide just to show what was there as fitting memorial to the world's first purpose built stadium. That is beyond my wildest dreams, someone just has to do the same with the GS now.

7Cz9.gif

Well I hope not quite that bad! The design is perfectly ok Dave (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it might not be quite to your taste) but if it was a totally modern design it just wouldn't fit in with the surroundings there. Fine if you are building on field where you are landscaping the lot to match, but with the dock wall, cobbles and the pump house it would stick out like a sore thumb.
...alternatively: skew the design to make it fit in with the environment and the stadium risks getting lost in it.

The city's fathers weren't arsed about mixing designs on the waterfront a century and a half ago - look at the three graces.

The Echo Arena hardly fits the bill in that respect either.

I put something in the survey about keeping part of the Bullens/Gwladys stands even if it was just 5-10 seats wide just to show what was there as fitting memorial to the world's first purpose built stadium. That is beyond my wildest dreams, someone just has to do the same with the GS now.

7Cz9.gif

Yeah, I asked that the GS goalposts were caged inside a glass box, for generations of supporters to take there grand kids too, even asked that said box could be reinforced so that kids could kick a ball at the goal still! And yes, a few seats would be a great idea too but those images of BS section are amazing! ;)

You'll have to explain that to me. Are you saying that only a construct using brick will be possible on that dock?

No mate, aesthetically anchored, as in the building mirrors building around the area. An common requirement within planning, even at residential level (not that I think that's why its done)

FWIW, I think that the reason they have used the materials that they have is purely theatre, creating an atmosphere. Much of what Dan Meis has said has been about the atmosphere, keeping it close and foreboding. That's difficult to do with clean, modern looking slabs of colour, or monochrome designs.

No mate, aesthetically anchored, as in the building mirrors building around the area. An common requirement within planning, even at residential level (not that I think that's why its done)

FWIW, I think that the reason they have used the materials that they have is purely theatre, creating an atmosphere. Much of what Dan Meis has said has been about the atmosphere, keeping it close and foreboding. That's difficult to do with clean, modern looking slabs of colour, or monochrome designs.
I honeslty dont think foreboding is what we want to project. We should be futuristic, not tipping hats toward Victorian Britain.

The idea of the Leitch criss crosswork on the brick just underlined how awful the sidewalls of the stadium looked. No problem with the roof...which I think is Meis' creation.

If that's the case, let Meis design the whole thing.