2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, there're no negatives regarding this transfer, unless you need a check from the neck up.

Every team needs a touch of snide now and again and we generally applaud it, unless it suits our/their agenda.

It's a decent deal. That's about it. Hopefully we'll get another CM/DM to balance out the team and allow us to ship Schneiderlin out.

Well a decent deal is a good start mate. Progress being made.
There's no progress. I know what he does well and what he does not. The fact that there are posters on this board that think he's the best playmaker we've had since Arteta or that he'd walk into every big 6 side is comical.

Seriously, if you can't see this guy's defensive deficiencies and how it affects us when he does have the ball, you just don't know what you are looking at.

There's no progress. I know what he does well and what he does not. The fact that there are posters on this board that think he's the best playmaker we've had since Arteta or that he'd walk into every big 6 side is comical.

Seriously, if you can't see this guy's defensive deficiencies and how it affects us when he does have the ball, you just don't know what you are looking at.

You are using skewed stats tho, a player adapting to the league, who has struggled with injury, very small sample size, I mean how do they compare to his Valencia stats?

Name a top 6 side he wouldnt get in .

He must have had a strong desire to join us as I'm sure more attractive clubs would have been interested. Well done Andy la. Great deal for that price.

Shows the strength in player power really, as if we needed it confirming.
To be fair, I know agents are powerful but they aren't human traffickers in big deals like this. The player goes where he most happy, which is the way it should be!

You are using skewed stats tho, a player adapting to the league, who has struggled with injury, very small sample size, I mean how do they compare to his Valencia stats?
I'm not using stats, I'm using my eyes. I acknowledge and hope he gets better. But he had less defensive responsibility at Valencia because he was playing with better defensive players. Still fouled all the time, of course. Still didn't create as much as you would like from a more attacking midfielder.

My concern isn't just Gomes, it's playing him with Gana and Sigurdsson. It's a bad combo. I do not want to suffer another game against Watford where Doucoure and Capoue just dominate our midfield because we have one guy that can compete with them physically. If we lose a battle of midfield against friggin Watford, we really can't consider competing for the top 6 any time soon.

Sex God with a beautiful deep stroke for 20 quid.....

IMG_7466-800x445.jpg

I'm not using stats, I'm using my eyes. I acknowledge and hope he gets better. But he had less defensive responsibility at Valencia because he was playing with better defensive players. Still fouled all the time, of course. Still didn't create as much as you would like from a more attacking midfielder.

My concern isn't just Gomes, it's playing him with Gana and Sigurdsson. It's a bad combo. I do not want to suffer another game against Watford where Doucoure and Capoue just dominate our midfield because we have one guy that can compete with them physically. If we lose a battle of midfield against friggin Watford, we really can't consider competing for the top 6 any time soon.

So 1 game? That sample size is even smaller than I thought.

Capoue and Doucoure are a decent pairing, along with Neves and Moutinho, who also gave us a midfield lesson.

But again, you are assuming that our "3" cant improve.

So 1 game? That sample size is even smaller than I thought.

Capoue and Doucoure are a decent pairing, along with Neves and Moutinho, who also gave us a midfield lesson.

But again, you are assuming that our "3" cant improve.
It's one example. Gomes can definitely improve. Gana and Sigurdsson are good, but I don't see them changing a lot

Mate weve got gana next to him. Isnt he one of the best DMs in Europe at the moment? It's about having a midfield that complements each other, personally I think gana and gomes do that. Gomes will also improve this season, he didnt have a preseason last year, new league, more physical, faster paced etc. Dont think it's any coincidence our form tailed off around christmas last season.

Flipside of your Watford argument we also turned over utd, arsenal, chelsea at home, did a job on the red sh, held our own away to spurs with a midfield of gana and gomes. There was enough on show towards the end of last season to show that centre midfield pairing works well imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.