2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I’m applying consistent logic.

I’m talking specifically about people making the argument about it being a ‘no brainer’ because of Gana’s age also saying that £30m is a ‘steal’ for Gomes. That’s not consistent logic. I’m not saying anything about their respective merits as players, only the age point. Once more, I hope we sign Gomes.
It makes zero sense. But the amount of silly stuff that is complete myth about both these players is crazy.

But Gomes
They had the ball the while match. Xavi actually picked off passes and contributed defensively. He also actually created opportunities for others. Gomes does neither.
But Gomes does create opportunities, he may not be the one lying the ball off for a shot on goal but his spreading of play and constant probing makes things happen. That may not show up as assists on websites but you must recognise that, having watched him play?

But Gomes

But Gomes does create opportunities, he may not be the one lying the ball off for a shot on goal but his spreading of play and constant probing makes things happen. That may not show up as assists on websites but you must recognise that, having watched him play?

He’s also the only player in the team who can retain the ball whilst we’re under pressure, which in turn allows the rest of the team to get back in position.

Stats won’t show this, but it’s so so important to the team.

they should all be brilliant at getting and keeping it under pressure, full time pro footballers are they not. I presume I didn't make it cos I couldn't do either but I watch some of ours and think I was hard done by.

I assuming no set buying fee pre-agreed? Pity. Think Barcelona will try to squeeze every last penny/euro from a potential buyer by encouraging an auction. They’ll be looking nervously across at Real who are building a strong team and will want to raise as much cash as possible to buy big. No firm evidence that anyone else is interested in buying him (in fact, any firm evidence that’s our plan??) but if he clearly stated to Barcelona he’ll go to Everton and nowhere else that could potentially save us money we could put to good use elsewhere. Not sure that resolve is there tbf in him. Could see this one slipping away from us so hopefully Brands has alternatives lined up...

If we keep hold of Gana (all this talk about retaining possession and recycling the ball - that’s his job), I would want a creative and surging runner that interchanges positions with Siggurdson. Splash the cash on someone like Maddison. Maybe that young high-scoring Hibs midfielder??

I assuming no set buying fee pre-agreed? Pity. Think Barcelona will try to squeeze every last penny/euro from a potential buyer by encouraging an auction. They’ll be looking nervously across at Real who are building a strong team and will want to raise as much cash as possible to buy big. No firm evidence that anyone else is interested in buying him (in fact, any firm evidence that’s our plan??) but if he clearly stated to Barcelona he’ll go to Everton and nowhere else that could potentially save us money we could put to good use elsewhere. Not sure that resolve is there tbf in him. Could see this one slipping away from us so hopefully Brands has alternatives lined up...

If we keep hold of Gana (all this talk about retaining possession and recycling the ball - that’s his job), I would want a creative and surging runner that interchanges positions with Siggurdson. Splash the cash on someone like Maddison. Maybe that young high-scoring Hibs midfielder??

Do you mean turnbull from Motherwell?

No I’m applying consistent logic.

I’m talking specifically about people making the argument about it being a ‘no brainer’ because of Gana’s age also saying that £30m is a ‘steal’ for Gomes. That’s not consistent logic. I’m not saying anything about their respective merits as players, only the age point. Once more, I hope we sign Gomes.

Agree to disagree. You're making a point about age, comparing 2 players with very different ages.

Gana is at peak re-sale age right now, will only get worse after he turns 30 and that is a fact. A player bought for £8million, selling at peak re-sale value can easily be described as a 'no brainer' although I personally think he would be very hard to replace, and would rather keep him.

Whereas if Gomes signed for 30m and had a great season, at the age of 26 next year he could sell/be worth 50m+ easy. Even if he was just a steady performer for 3 or 4 years, you would get the money back if sold on.

He’s also the only player in the team who can retain the ball whilst we’re under pressure, which in turn allows the rest of the team to get back in position.

Stats won’t show this, but it’s so so important to the team.
Siggy hardly ever does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.