Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,251 92.3%

• Total voters
Even is spurs and united weaken we still won't be near them.
Then you say 4 years, do you really think digne and richarlison will wait that long.

This is our problem , let’s say we had stones, Lukaku and even Barkley ( before he turned gash) with the players we have now in richy , Bernard, siggy , Digne , gana and even Pickford , we would have a very strong first 11. Trouble is we didn’t push on when we had a couple of really top youngsters and we have to start again , only difference being we are looking for a goal scorer rather than the other positions we were short back then. We really need to push the boat out and sign 5-7 players and we need 4-5 of them to stick and really improve the team. We can sign 4-5 and with good scouting reduce the chance of them not being a success but the bottom line is we need a decent ST maybe even 2 a decent CB ( Zouma would be good imo) and a decent back up one and again 2 CM. All first team players and all improvements on what we have , and I don’t mean slight improvements , I mean hungry , talented hard working players that believe in what we are trying to do.

It's not always the case, it's just entirely about reinvesting that money wisely. Trading players for a few players can dishearten fanbases as their favourites leave, but it boosts the coffers sufficiently to strengthen in other areas. Liverpool selling their best player to sign Van Dijk and Alisson has paid off for them. United sold Beckham and signed Ronaldo, then Rooney the year after.

Going back a bit further, I remember Arsenal fans being up in arms about losing Petit and Overmars to Barcelona for a combined £30-odd million, which was a small fortune at the time. They went out and spent that on Pires, Wiltord, Lauren, Sol Campbell, Edu and Kolo Toure which would become the base of their invincibles team.

We sold Stones and signed Williams, Bolasie and Schneids. Even if you look back to us selling Rooney, our big replacements in the next few windows were Beattie, Kroldrup and Van Der Meyde. Fortunately, we also signed Cahill and Arteta in with that lot.
Good analysis. Requires a shrewd recruitment team and manager to execute effectively. The problem with your examples though is the players you listed would have only gone to the top clubs. Ronaldo, Van Dijk, Alisson, Pires, Rooney were great replacements for players sold but we have next to no hope of bringing in that level of proven quality. In other words it’s a lot harder for us to bring in great replacements than it is for the clubs you listed. Our only hope is to sign unproven players who turn out to be gems, which is a gamble.

Last edited:
It's not always the case, it's just entirely about reinvesting that money wisely. Trading players for a few players can dishearten fanbases as their favourites leave, but it boosts the coffers sufficiently to strengthen in other areas. Liverpool selling their best player to sign Van Dijk and Alisson has paid off for them. United sold Beckham and signed Ronaldo, then Rooney the year after.

Going back a bit further, I remember Arsenal fans being up in arms about losing Petit and Overmars to Barcelona for a combined £30-odd million, which was a small fortune at the time. They went out and spent that on Pires, Wiltord, Lauren, Sol Campbell, Edu and Kolo Toure which would become the base of their invincibles team.

We sold Stones and signed Williams, Bolasie and Schneids. Even if you look back to us selling Rooney, our big replacements in the next few windows were Beattie, Kroldrup and Van Der Meyde. Fortunately, we also signed Cahill and Arteta in with that lot.
That's arsenal and Liverpool who both had champions League football at the time.

Good analysis. Requires a shrewd recruitment team and manager to execute effectively. The problem with your examples though is the players you listed would have only gone to the top clubs. Ronaldo, Van Dijk, Alisson, Pires, Rooney were great replacements for players sold but we have next to no hope of bringing in that level of proven quality. In other words it’s a lot harder for us to bring in great replacements than it is for the clubs you listed. Our only hope is to sign unproven players who turn out to be gems, which is a gamble.
Any player gets outed in the press at least 1 week before they are eventually signed to see if any other club is intetested.
It's rare a player is signed out of the blue.

Although you get the off one or two like moutinho to wolves.

There are two essential elements to any recovery 1) BMD and 2) The results of Brands' scouting and transfer strategy, and we need both to be bang on the money.

I was encouraged that we were able to attract a player of Digne's ability and profile last year, amidst all of our problems and the fact that we have a low profile outside of the UK.

It still shows we have some appeal. We must make ourselves as attractive as possible obviously, in terms of the wage premium we can offer, but also in persuading the best young talent out there and I mean globally, that they can come here and get playing time without having to endure a long wait or successive loans out. We must operate and focus on the gap that exists between "not yet good enough for the top six, but good enough now for us"

And as much as some don't like it, we must also show flexibility in allowing players to leave when they have the opportunity to play at a higher level and for a fee we dictate. That is noticed and well received by players and agents, as much as we don't like dealing with the latter. I'm happy for us to sign a young player with ability and a degree of arrogance about their own prospects, that sees us as a stepping stone only. So what, a good player here for even a year is better than not at all. They can always decide that they like it here too.

There is that small niche we can offer which we must exploit to the fullest potential. I'm sure Brands doesn't need telling on that score. But it's all in the execution.

It's still 11 vs.11 out there. Build a team and then a squad. I must admit I'm very sceptical on BMD as time goes on though, it would be beyond damaging if it doesn't come to pass and I fear it could consign us to history. I'm desperately hoping that things don't go the usual way on this.

Last edited:

We are throwing the same sort of money around. Money = ambition, and that's generally what players care about. Rom said similar before he left us, words to the effect of 'we talk a good talk, but we don't walk the walk'. United and Arsenal don't have CL Football this season, it won't stop them attracting top players.

We are throwing the same sort of money around. Money = ambition, and that's generally what players care about. Rom said similar before he left us, words to the effect of 'we talk a good talk, but we don't walk the walk'. United and Arsenal don't have CL Football this season, it won't stop them attracting top players.
United are struggling to attract players by all accounts, many of the targets they wanted don't want to play for OGS and also without CL football. Arsenal also only have a budget of £40m for players so i don't reckon they will be buying that much.

United are struggling to attract players by all accounts, many of the targets they wanted don't want to play for OGS and also without CL football. Arsenal also only have a budget of £40m for players so i don't reckon they will be buying that much.

Impressed by your inside sources mate.

Arsenal could raise £100m in player sales this summer. United could raise double that amount, depending on who goes. In any case, both will spend big to make the top four next year and they won't find a shortage of top players willing to join them.

Of course, the Champions League teams invariably get the pick, but there are lots of players willing to accept a bigger pay packet for a step down. United and Arsenal also look good on the CV. I still believe Everton do too, and for that reason, I think we should be doing better than we have, and I expect better this summer.

Most frustrating is there is a ton of potential and when things start to look better we take one step forward and two or three back. That needs to stop.
Exactly, it's almost like the main influence at board level over the last 25 years is a secret kopite purposely making sure we don't progress, i absolutely despise the board.

Summary:

• We cant grow revenue without a new stadium, so we need a new stadium
  • We cant fund a stadium and squad building, so we need stadium funding
  • We are still looking to get funding in for the stadium
So in 52 days time, will we see outline drawings at best, with PP application put off until late 2020/21