Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they ever remake the Titanic, you should be the guy who keeps shouting about the iceberg from the crow's nest whilst everyone below ignores you until they here a large thud from in front of their noses.

aCSt5y6.jpg

A broken clock is right twice a day.

He was an unmitigated disaster.

For me, Sandro personifies this.

Except I can rarely remember a signing creating such a buzz.

I mean know we can all see that season was the purpliest of purple patches but nobody was questioning Walsh when he was brought in.

Nightmare for us. That’s what the Steve Walsh saga was for us.

We rather naively took his astute signings as a sign of a new dawn, and sadly for us and Steve it never worked out.

It was clear from the offset there were issues, rumours of discontent between him and Koeman, Moshiri getting s little too involved and you could see he was out of his depth.

He was rightly let go, but at a great cost, and I’d like to think we’ve learned our lessons from the Koeman/Walsh fiasco because it set us back approximately £20m if you include Allardyce.

But, let’s look back at Walsh legacy, and who we brought in, and the successes. Forget your Sandro’s, Klaassen’s for a sec.

Calvert-Lewin has become a first team regular (whether you like him or not £1m got a striker who’s going to be at worst a handy Squad player), then you’ve got the likes of the youth teams Bowler, from QPR, they’re talking about him like he’s going to make it and the same with Gibson the lad we got from Newcastle.

Go to Leicester, he signed Mahrez and Kramaric (both 23) and they worked out successful careers.

Steve Walsh was very good at what he does, which is sign young players with potential. But he was never ever, a Director of Football.

If you told me we could have him as a youth scout I’d have him.

Those dark days have gone now though.

We used to buy no marks no one has heard of for pennies and some of them turned out alright.

He bought no marks that everyone knew were no marks for silly money and the majority turned out crap.

I mean know we can all see that season was the purpliest of purple patches but nobody was questioning Walsh when he was brought in.

True weren't Walsh and Koeman the supposed dream team, I know I thought so. Sooo wrong.

I mean £37m on panic buys in Williams and Bolasie when anyone with a passing knowledge of football could have told you those were silly buys.... the mind boggles.

Williams was a panic buy but without him we would have funes mori playing a full season.
And I dont think he was that bad in his first season tbh.

And I'll continue to say that pre injury bolasie played ok for us. Probably better options, certainly at that price and considering his age but he did alright.

That’s why we’re fans and not directors of football. People in his position should know significantly more about a player than us.

That’s why we’re fans and not directors of football. People in his position should know significantly more about a player than us.

All he had to go on was that season really. Hes not clairvoyant.

The xg stat was a worry but flip that, say we turn him down because of that and Wrst Ham step in and he scores 40 goals in the next two seasons. Which could have happened if he maintained that form.

He would have killed this club with Koeman and I will forever dislike him, I feel like some of his buys are obvious ones, Gueye was on loads of clubs radars after Villa got relegated.
I'll only give him credit for Lookman and Henry as they look pretty decent for what they cost but the other ones are obvious buys for clubs around our area imo.

Purple patch? It wasn’t even lilac.

Status
Not open for further replies.