2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can always do better, but to say hes not that good is a lie.
I unfortunately do not lie. Sorry. He's not that good. He simply doesn't create much with the ball and is a significant liability when the other team has it. Good in possession, decent passing range, great dribbler, but too slow and/or disciplined. Not.That.Good.

It's unreal, though, there are folks that thing he's the best playmaker we've had since Arteta and others that think it would be catastrophic if he signed elsewhere. It's just bizarre. Good. But NOT.THAT.GOOD.

When we look better going forward and create more chances with Gana and Morgan Schneiderlin - which is a more defensive setup, I think it's worth considering whether we need him at all.

When we look better going forward and create more chances with Gana and Morgan Schneiderlin - which is a more defensive setup, I think it's worth considering whether we need him at all.
LOL, You mean Morgan "never pass it forward" Schneiderlin and we create more chances under him? Rubbish.
Gomes gives the team no one else has in midfield c r e a t i v t y the man has it all in his locker,
He'd hugely improve this squad and give us something that we so desperately need. It's a no brainer signing and it won't be end of the world if we miss out on him but he fits quite well into this team.

I unfortunately do not lie. Sorry. He's not that good. He simply doesn't create much with the ball and is a significant liability when the other team has it. Good in possession, decent passing range, great dribbler, but too slow and/or disciplined. Not.That.Good.

It's unreal, though, there are folks that thing he's the best playmaker we've had since Arteta and others that think it would be catastrophic if he signed elsewhere. It's just bizarre. Good. But NOT.THAT.GOOD.

Hes an elite footballer.

Im not saying hes wurld klass, but hes struggled with injury and still showed his class.

Once he adapts, he will show how good he is.

He's an unbelievable footballer.

If you don't think he's 'that' good, and think we're better with Gueye and Schneiderlin, maybe find something else. Perhaps an optician.

Utter tosh. He oozes class. He gets his foot on the ball and actually looks up and plays a forward pass. Comparing him with Schniderlin is an utter insult.

LOL, You mean Morgan "never pass it forward" Schneiderlin and we create more chances under him? Rubbish.
Gomes gives the team no one else has in midfield c r e a t i v t y the man has it all in his locker,
He'd hugely improve this squad and give us something that we so desperately need. It's a no brainer signing and it won't be end of the world if we miss out on him but he fits quite well into this team.
If he was creative, wouldn't he actually create something? He doesn't. He is 18th on the team in Key Passes per game, behind players like Michael Keane and Jerry Mina. He's 17th on the team in chances created in open play per 90 minutes. He's one of the least creative players in the entire side. I wish he was better.

Gana Gueye, who everyone agrees is limited in terms of going forward, averages twice as many in both categories. He also averages considerably more passes forward than Gomes (and everyone else in the team) and about the same number of passes sideways. Gana is certainly not creative, correct?

He's also legitimately terrible defensively. He's one of the 5 worst players in the league at getting dribbled past. He also average more fouls per game than everyone in the entire league. He's slow, probably too slow for this league, which would be fine if he was good positionally, but he averages less than an interception per game while playing defensive midfield often. This is completely obvious WITHOUT the stats and just by watching the game, but it almost NEVER gets mentioned for some strange reason.

So to me, the ONLY explanation for why some of this board and others think so highly of the guy is that they are simply blinded by his dribbling and his good passing range. I wish it produced more. I wish others could see how obviously bad he is defensively - it's SO obvious and certainly frustrating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.