2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Silva has overused Digne and it's not on to continue to do so. If he had an able deputy for the PL then I believe we'd see Digne rested more often.

Baines is not the answer here. We all know that. There's no use anyone trying to spin this potential contract extension as a good thing. If it's true, then it's the club failing to strengthen a position and making do and mending.

He has played 33 games all season. Andy Robertson nearly 50,Chilwell 42 it's no biggie

Is he not a very good back up option to Digne though Dave?
Unfortunately back ups have to step onto the pitch, which is when it all pretty much falls down as a "neat" idea to box off the LB position and concentrate on "more important" positions.

There's a huge amount of nostalgia that Evertonians wallow in. Little wonder when we had that tool as owner/chairman for years who shoved it down our throats as a decent policy. One of the reasons we all wanted him to sell up was so we wouldn't need to live in the past. Remember?

I've done with nostalgia. I want hard headed football decisions. This is just Kenwright era BS and anyone who wants the club to be ambitious and win things understands that.

I personally think Silva has overused Digne and it's not on to continue to do so. If he had an able deputy for the PL then I believe we'd see Digne rested more often.

Baines is not the answer here. We all know that. There's no use anyone trying to spin this potential contract extension as a good thing. If it's true, then it's the club failing to strengthen a position and making do and mending.

That's an interesting viewpoint Dave.
Lucas Digne has played part or all of 32 games this season...
Compare that with the following...
Season 84/85 - 9 players plus Neville Southall played in 42 or more games.
Season 85/86 - 8 players plus Neville Southall played in 43 or more games.
Season 86/87 - 8 players plus Neville Southall played in 37 or more games.
Season 87/88 - 9 players plus Neville Southall played in 38 or more games.

Unfortunately back ups have to step onto the pitch, which is when it all pretty much falls down as a "neat" idea to box off the LB position and concentrate on "more important" positions.

There's a huge amount of nostalgia that Evertonians wallow in. Little wonder when we had that tool as owner/chairman for years who shoved it down our throats as a decent policy. One of the reasons we all wanted him to sell up was so we wouldn't need to live in the past. Remember?

I've done with nostalgia. I want hard headed football decisions. Thsi is just Kenwright era BS and anyone who wants the club to be ambitious and win things understands that.
Fine but who are we going to attract to mostly sit on the bench?

That's an interesting viewpoint Dave.
Lucas Digne has played part or all of 32 games this season...
Compare that with the following...
Season 84/85 - 9 players plus Neville Southall played in 42 or more games.
Season 85/86 - 8 players plus Neville Southall played in 43 or more games.
Season 86/87 - 8 players plus Neville Southall played in 37 or more games.
Season 87/88 - 9 players plus Neville Southall played in 38 or more games.
Different era. You may as well be comparing Everton in the 1930s with the way the game is played today.

Contract extension could be by just one year, and if you take into account how many games he has played this season who is to say he will even get that amount next year? I still think he could come in and do a decent job if Digne got injured or needed to be rested

I would say that in finding Gomes, Digne and Zouma he probably does.

He should have no difficulty in showing a 35 year old to the door and finding another LB then.

He said last month he runs a policy of not signing players over 25 if he can help it.

Maybe he's having a rethink?

He should have no difficulty in showing a 35 year old to the door and finding another LB then.

He said last month he runs a policy of not signing players over 25 if he can help it.

Maybe he's having a rethink?

Or he would prefer to decorate the front room and main bedroom. The spare can wait till January?

Or he would prefer to decorate the front room and main bedroom. The spare can wait till January?

I wouldn't view a deputy for Digne as a luxury. If Digne doesn't play we have our biggest asset neutralized: that left flank where all the attacking intent comes from.

I find it incredible that we're all supposed to accept there is no alternartive to re-signing Baines. It's just about the least rational option. It'\d be nice if all those advocating it held their hands up when/if Baines has a howler...as we can reasonably expect him to hand us given that he'll be 35 next season.

We're just an Old Boys Club at the end of the day. I was inclined to think we'd turned a new leaf with Brands and his utterances about age of squad etc.

Sadly, it's just more nonsense from this club. Nostalgia FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.