• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol ok mate. you may be right.

But you're talking nonsense on this point.

Just pointing out people overrating these players and in reality no top team will go in for them and let them become starters instantly. I can’t recall one. Who’s the last one?

i would ignore a right winger all together, its the central position of the front four that badly needs attention. Gylfi and Richarilison are on course for 15 goals each this season, with better option at 9, i think we come on leaps and bounds with goal returns. I think we also see a better output from Bernard and Walcott and whoever with a better option in the center.

Thing is though if we sign a new right winger where do we put Rich? He’s not great up top and be unfair to drop Bernard.

We need 6 top drawer options for the front 4 positions though. Even without injury and knocks, players have off days or need a break. Plenty of game time to go around 6 front players to keep them fit and happy.

Yes i do, he was monumental yesterday and not the only time he has been so this season... my nominating him for sale does not come from a desire to see the back of him just a combination of....

Concerns over consistency and his effectiveness only being limited to one position where recruitment seems to revolve around fluidity amongst the forward positions

If we were to ever sell him he would probably be at his premium value right now

Would be happy to see him stay also i am a fan and performances like that against United there aren’t many in the world that could do it better
Goal scoring midfielders are highly sought, especially creative ones. He's also still the right side of 30.

So I'd be shocked in the current climate if he didn't fetch £30m.

However, the only reason we could have for selling him was if Marco went for a proper 433 formation, as I don't think he's powerful enough to do a role in the midfield 3 and not pacey enough to be in the front 3. We'd still need to replace his goals from midfield though and there aren't many about.
I kind of agree with you. We should be looking to pick players up when they’re young and selling a different one for huge profit every year or so - pick up a young Real Madrid failure and sell on someone to a PSG or the like. If we could do a seasonal Lukaku we’d be sitting pretty. Plus whilst everyone misses his goals, no one misses him as a person (or his dad for that matter).

Would not mind if it was Richarlison end of next season.

Hypothetically if we have are selling players at their peak value then both Gana and Sigurdsson should be sold which could bring us in £60mil and £200k a week wages.

Then we build a 433 system using the other players and additions.

It appears as though if Brands is saying we wont be spending big money on players over 26 then we theoretically will be spending big on those under 26.

With Brands saying we already have our targets im surprised that theres nothing in the media (bar Neres)...

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I dont think selling young good players are the way forward.

A good team has a strong stable spine - a GK, a CB, 2 CMs and a striker. Pickford, Zouma, Gylfi/ Bernard/Schneiderlin and DCL. We have that in place.

We would still need 2 wingers, 2 full backs and another CB to complete a starting XI. Richarlison, Digne, Keane and Walcott are already here. Plus the youths.

If I were Silva, I would look at making permanent Zouma's loan and a player in the mould of Gomes. And look for reliable defender in the mould of Jagielka.

Free transfer is a misleading term. The free ones are often the most expensive on the balance sheet due to the wages and other fees they can demand. Bernard is one of if not our top earner.
Hold up. Being a top earner doesn't have much to do with what the asset looks like on the balance sheet. The wages due over the period of the contract aren't recognized as liabilities. So that doesn't factor into any gain or loss calculation.

Understand the accounting now, thanks. So the last question is, if we aren't paying a lot of these fees up front, wouldn't we have significant liabilities on our books past the current year? I see net intangible assets of like 240M, current liabilities of 77M, long term liabilities of like 45M, and net cash flow for player registrations of around 100M. I've no idea what those "trade debtor" liability accounts include, but I can tell that we spent 100M in cash on transfers, not on deferred transfer fees.

Ill have a look at the accounts later mate, as i am speaking generally and not at specific figures in this years accounts, but amortization from a book keeping point of view is annual and wont be total. i.e. Morgan will show an approx 5mill amortisation/cost figure in the annual accounts every year until the end of his contract until the liability is satisfied or he is sold.

The lad who pulled me up earlier is correct to a degree and i wasnt really speaking literally, different deals are structured differently it depends on the agreement, some are made installments over a shorter period for example three years, others annually over the course of the contract etc etc. But in accounting terms it is amortized annually in the club accounts annually. Like my Morgan example, we could conceivably practically payed in off at the end of the year (i dont really know as that information isnt public), but his amortization will show up at 5 mill in the club accounts every year he is here, but only 5 million not the net cost all at once.

You're right mate, but we can't go through season with an unchanged starting XI. For me you need a first team squad of 14/15 top players, with another 10 or so squad players if we are to challenge the top 6. That would be 5/6 to cover the front 4 (and I don't yet consider DCL as a top player), 3 to cover the midfield 2, and 3 to cover the CB pairing. If we managed to bring in Zouma I'd be happy with the CBs (Holgate as second cover). If we keep hold of Geuye and bring in Gomes, we'd need to bring in another BTB CM. We have Bernard, Ricky and Siggy up top. We'd need to bring in a goal scoring first choice centre forward and have DCL as cover. We'd also need to bring in another goal scoring speed merchant wide player. Lozano would be my first choice but I'd also take Neres in a heartbeat.

I think there will be plenty of games to go around to keep 14/15 first choices happy and match fit.

So, including Zouma and Gomes, I reckon we need to bring in 5 top players this summer, all good enough to be considered regular starters. Luckily Coleman's return to form means right back is no longer considered a priority.
We need 6 top drawer options for the front 4 positions though. Even without injury and knocks, players have off days or need a break. Plenty of game time to go around 6 front players to keep them fit and happy.

Thats why the Neres link is interesting.

He can rotate with Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson.

Thats ideal for us as we get a £40mil player who saves us signing 2 others this window.

If we signed him + a centre forward then thats our front 4 positions covered.

Midfield and defence is a different kettle of fish.

There was a quote from him at the conference in London last month that they have identified all their targets already.

from reddit via the echo
All well and good to say our 'targets' for the summer have been identified. This does not mean we will get all of them or not have to lose out in a bidding war. Every DoF and Scout can play at Football Transfer Manager. We are only likely to get our targets without fuss if they completely under the radar players from some unexpected sources. So most likely we will still see the transfers drawn out over the summer til the end of the window.

I would look at that as a player trading position myself, we have a lot of players in those designated positions. The central position needs strengthing as a priority. It would then be a big power full no 8 for me.

If Walcott, Sandro, Mirallas, Bolaise, Niasse, Tosun etc can be player traded to cover the spread of another addition i dont mind. But its silly and not viable to keep stock piling players for positions without rationalising and as i say above other positions would be a priority in my opinion.

Hold up. Being a top earner doesn't have much to do with what the asset looks like on the balance sheet. The wages due over the period of the contract aren't recognized as liabilities. So that doesn't factor into any gain or loss calculation.

Fair enough. I'm no expert on the matter. I'm just saying that free transfers aren't always as free as people perceive them as.

I think we'll struggle to ever get another one as good as Bernard though. What a find he was.

You can't keep 6 players of equal ability happy in squads these days.
You can't if the manager plays the same 4 game after game, which he won't need to do if they are all top notch. Plus the law of averages says 1 of them will probably be either injured or suspended for most games, so it will usually be 4 from 5. I really can't see a problem, unless we get to a cup final and all 6 are fit and want to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.