Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont have to say right or left back, as I said, full backs or wing backs is fine.

Most CBs can play both sides, sure they have a preferred side, but they can interchange.

Not many fullbacks can play on both sides, so they are generally named as right or left.

Outside backs is alien to most English footy fans, I mean ive never heard it in my life and it honestly doesnt make sense to me.

I suppose it goes back to the 4-4-2 days, no inverted wingers, no inside forwards, no wing forwards, just ya standard 4-4-2.

Im sure if you were a big baseball fan and I started calling the pitcher "The Ball tosser", you might take offence at me butchering your sport!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Ball Tosser! I love it.

While it's funny, it's not really the same thing.

I'll ask this question - can you tell me the difference between a full back and a wing back? Can you have wing backs in a back 4? Is that a position or a role? Because outside back is a position, not a role.

Look, I understand your concerns, but you make it sound like I'm using this term in my house without any contact with the outside world. It's commonplace in the US and elsewhere, but from coaches and players, too. If MLS coaches are using it, if English coaches in the states are using it, I'm going to continue to use it. It would just be strange if I didn't, honestly.

Put it this way - it WAY more common to use outside back than fullback or wingback in the US. Way more common. A full back is an american football term, so if you used it in the states, you might confuse some folks. For better or worse.

You dont have to say right or left back, as I said, full backs or wing backs is fine.

Most CBs can play both sides, sure they have a preferred side, but they can interchange.

Not many fullbacks can play on both sides, so they are generally named as right or left.

Outside backs is alien to most English footy fans, I mean ive never heard it in my life and it honestly doesnt make sense to me.

I suppose it goes back to the 4-4-2 days, no inverted wingers, no inside forwards, no wing forwards, just ya standard 4-4-2.

Im sure if you were a big baseball fan and I started calling the pitcher "The Ball tosser", you might take offence at me butchering your sport!
To be completely honest I never understood why they are full backs and center halfs. Pretty sure it goes back to the pre-Dutch revolution of the sport

But a 6 is a quarterback to you, literally inserting a player who is a ball tosser...We’ve been over this. Why can’t you just let it be?

To be completely honest I never understood why they are full backs and center halfs. Pretty sure it goes back to the pre-Dutch revolution of the sport
Full backs were pretty much it back in the old WM days with Half backs in front of them. You had center half moving back to become center backs and center backs moving up to become Liberos or sweepers.

But a 6 is a quarterback to you, literally inserting a player who is a ball tosser...We’ve been over this. Why can’t you just let it be?
Water carrier? Anchor man? It's fine, Goat has his opinions, there's nothing wrong with them. It's actually helpful. Last thing I want is for me to have a conversation in a pub in Liverpool whenever I get back over there and start yapping about outside backs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Ball Tosser! I love it.

While it's funny, it's not really the same thing.

I'll ask this question - can you tell me the difference between a full back and a wing back? Can you have wing backs in a back 4? Is that a position or a role? Because outside back is a position, not a role.

Look, I understand your concerns, but you make it sound like I'm using this term in my house without any contact with the outside world. It's commonplace in the US and elsewhere, but from coaches and players, too. If MLS coaches are using it, if English coaches in the states are using it, I'm going to continue to use it. It would just be strange if I didn't, honestly.

Put it this way - it WAY more common to use outside back than fullback or wingback in the US. Way more common. A full back is an american football term, so if you used it in the states, you might confuse some folks. For better or worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football)#Full-back

As I said, its alien to me, if people in the US are saying it, thats fine, but you also say roster over there, sidewalk, hood, fannypack, SOCCER, none of these words are correct!

6 isnt a quarterback to me, it was a phase I used once or twice. Its how I described the role KDB does for City.

Why cant you just y'all call a fullback a fullback?

I mean hardly any of you call it soccer anymore thankfully.

Water carrier? Anchor man? It's fine, Goat has his opinions, there's nothing wrong with them. It's actually helpful. Last thing I want is for me to have a conversation in a pub in Liverpool whenever I get back over there and start yapping about outside backs.

Honestly it seems like im being an arse over this, I guess it triggers me, but im almost certain that most people would pull you up over outside back in a pub in liverpool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football)#Full-back

As I said, its alien to me, if people in the US are saying it, thats fine, but you also say roster over there, sidewalk, hood, fannypack, SOCCER, none of these words are correct!

6 isnt a quarterback to me, it was a phase I used once or twice. Its how I described the role KDB does for City.

Why cant you just y'all call a fullback a fullback?

I mean hardly any of you call it soccer anymore thankfully.

Soccer was an English term. That's your guys fault, not ours. You can't pin that one on us.

A fullback is a blocking back in american football that usually plays in front of a half back - could be a scat back, power back, who knows? If the fullback acts also as a TE or receiver, they are often referred to as H backs.

I know, I know, it's all very confusing. Might be why we use outside back.

Look, when I grew up, we couldn't even get "soccer" on TV anywhere. We didn't even have a pro league after 1984 or so. Cut us a break.

Banging them in.

Screenshot_20190423-045022_Chrome.jpg

No they don’t, the players just run around following the ball in Oz as the league is worse than the business houses league on a Sunday on Croxteth Park

I’m talking about my football manager mate for my local team. You’re right about the A league tho. We have people come over here from Uk that play just Saturday footy back home and they stand out like dogs balls in the local leagues. All the managers saying they’re amazing and me and my bro are thinking “ there are literally hundreds of players like that from my small local town.

Status
Not open for further replies.