2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like us to sign another young striker, but to compliment or support Calvert-Lewin not replace him.
I think that's the plan, Brands was quoted saying he wants to support our young players mostly (Lookman/DCL/Richarlison) and wants competition not replacements or something similar.
Although that was long ago so the plans could have changed.

He does need to add goals, but he doesn't need to be a 20 a season striker. If he can get 12-15 consistently over the next few years he'd be one of the best strikers in the league, because he's the type of player who will give the two or three players either side of him an extra 15-20+ goals a year.

People have to remember he's 22 as well. He's nowhere near his peak for the type of striker he is.

He can go one of two ways over the next year or so - he'll either push on and be invaluable, or he'll stall and be a decent option for a lower half Prem side. But he's shown enough over the last three months in particular to be able to say with confidence that the lad is worth sticking with.

So are you completely ignoring all the other things he brings to the TEAM for the sake of him not being the name on the scoresheet when we win? It's such a parochial way to view football.

Point I’m making is that you picked 3 successful teams that had a striker that didn’t score many. The thing they all have I’m common is that they had world class wingers in their teams. What’s more realistic for us? Signing a striker that scores 15+ a season ? Or signing at least one world class player?

Clutching there oppo, whole team were poo last week. Suppose haters gotta hate. Would be Davies if not DCL. Was 60k earlier in season and Siggy before. Same lot who hated on Hibbo n Ozzie no doubt but wax lyrical about our youngsters !! Unreal hypocrisy.

First off I always said I like siggy, Coleman does need replacing and I didn’t hate hibbo but I did realise that he wasn’t very good. We are talking about DCL , I’m saying his finishing is not good , the team were por last week and he still misses two sitters failing to hit the target both times and had zero shots yesterday. Him having a “ good game” is him running around a lot and being a pest and that’s ok , it’s part of the role. It’s actually a very big part of the role, but so is finishing

The Vanguard of Luddites.

Can't think of another forward we have had who works so hard and unselfishly for an Everton line up..

Players like Dom are an important cog in a team that gets us to 4 nil, if people cannot see that then they are new to the football as a team game.

Sure we need to find another 15 - 20 goals, but we are in no position to buy ready made Keane or Aguero.

Your acting like we score for fun every week, sure we scored 4 yesterday but look at games like Fulham, Huddersfield , Brighton , Cardiff etc we haven’t been putting 4 past them sides have we? We need someone that scores on a regular basis playing as our striker. At the moment he’s basically Rondon but younger and with more pace.

Point I’m making is that you picked 3 successful teams that had a striker that didn’t score many. The thing they all have I’m common is that they had world class wingers in their teams. What’s more realistic for us? Signing a striker that scores 15+ a season ? Or signing at least one world class player?

Erm wrong person mate

I felt sorry and frustrated for him yesterday. The whole team played well, hard to fault them, and young Dom was running into some excellent positions inside the box but all to often the final pass to him was not delivered accurately enough. This happened at least four times, Gueye, who was outstanding , was the culprit twice. He’s now starting to add decent movement to go with his pace , pulling defenders about finding space. If players start to find him with decent through balls into the box we’ll know a lot more about his finishing ability , no guarantee that he’ll score but the more opportunities he gets the more he’ll , hopefully, put away .

The constant high press from the very first minute by two physical handfuls in DCL and Richarlison caused ManU a constant headache. It has been a feature of the last few games too and is very successful. I'd expect teams next season will set up to counter-act this so we will need other shapes/formations to mix it up a little but it is working very well now and in no small measure to this lad. With he and Rich performing this role, there will certainly be plenty of loose balls for Siggy, Bernard, or Digne/Coleman if pressing up in support to feed off. The longer this persists and our second line is converting the chances, we can get by without a traditional no 9 knocking in 20+ a season.

Lad has been immense the last couple of months.
Keep on keeping on Dom

Totally agree, and a fantastic prospect.

Ultimately though, as a forward, he will be measured solely on goals to games ratio.

Next season, he will need to start banging in the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.