Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate to me is a safe backup at both RB and CB. He is almost out of contract, though, I believe, but I'm assuming he won't be expensive.

He's a good squad player at a minimum.

I think we have to assume that Zouma isn't going to be here. Get us someone who is a bit different than Keane and Mina.
Disagree on both counts. Zouma you can play either way but nobody outside of Zouma, his agent, Brands and whoever is running the show at Chelsea actually know where it is going at this point. Just to point to a similar situation Lukaku no one saw coming back.

Holgate being a safe backup is what was supposed to happen this year and instead he was a shambles against West Ham and poor in a couple other games. If he had gone to West Brom and played well in central defense then we should bring him back but that isn't how it has gone. I don't see his future being here anymore.

Even if we kept ALL of

Pickford
Coleman Keane Zouma Digne
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
We need competition in all positions.

However, the reports from the club state that we want to develop young players at the club too.

If thats the plan then:

Virginia
Kenny
Gibson
Davies
Vlasic
Lookman
Onyekuru

'Could' take up 7 positions in a 2nd 11.

So, going off that and looking at organic growth we 'may' look at:

1 -- Left back to compete with Digne
2 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gana
3 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gomes
4 -- Centre forward to compete with DCL

Thats still 4 players which would give us a lot of depth and huge potential upside if were targeting u23 level transfers.

Im not talking about cheap players either...
Just because we want to develop young players doesn't mean the ones we have are going to be playing first team games. At least the way I see it is we are going to buy young and try to revamp the academy to a degree and both of those things will take time. If we are playing in Europe in July we do not have that time so competing in both Europe and the league is going to require a massive amount of players in or unfathomable growth from the likes of Kenny, Holgate, Virginia, Davies, Gibson etc. and neither feel obtainable. Basically we don't have the squad for Europe next year and I'm not sure it is possible to fix it.

Lets say we do field that team with a new signing dropping Bernard/Richarlison and DCL into that team and also throw Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Davies in because one of them will be here as well and then add some random LB in too. That team would get battered by every team above Brighton and I wouldn't trust them to 100% beat whichever Belarusian firefighters and insurance salesman show up at Goodison.

And that's the crux of what I'm getting at. The amount of players we need to confidently rotate the team and progress to at least the knockouts of the Europa while not simultaneously throwing away the Prem season is almost unattainable. Even if we have above an 50% success rate with the youngsters you've put in the team there we will still be fielding two players who have no business at that level plus almost none of those players are experienced in the system. It doesn't feel likely to work.

Yes but when do you ever swap a full XI out? Who in the world has a decent full alternate XI?

Yes but when do you ever swap a full XI out? Who in the world has a decent full alternate XI?
Obviously it won't be XI for XI but between injuries and rotation a team will probably need to play a second player at each position except possibly GK between 5 and 10 times minimum. So if the squad is only 20 useful players at some point you are going to have guys who are worn down or you are going to be forced into playing someone out of position or who isn't ready.

Look at how many players the teams from England that have made deep runs in Europe use. Spurs are the least deep and they still have 2 keepers, 8 defenders and about 10 forwards/midfielders that they can rotate through. Chelsea and Arsenal didn't play their best XI until the quarterfinals of the Europa. Depth is absolutely critical to handling a season where you play in the neighborhood of 60 matches and I don't think we are close to having enough.

Also just for fun City's second XI is Bravo, Danilo, Stones, Otamendi, Zinchenko, Delph, Gundogan, Foden, B. Silva, Jesus and Mahrez. That's a strong team still.

Also just for fun City's second XI is Bravo, Danilo, Stones, Otamendi, Zinchenko, Delph, Gundogan, Foden, B. Silva, Jesus and Mahrez. That's a strong team still.
On an unrelated note City really should be competing for the Champions League every year with that squad.

Obviously it won't be XI for XI but between injuries and rotation a team will probably need to play a second player at each position except possibly GK between 5 and 10 times minimum. So if the squad is only 20 useful players at some point you are going to have guys who are worn down or you are going to be forced into playing someone out of position or who isn't ready.

Look at how many players the teams from England that have made deep runs in Europe use. Spurs are the least deep and they still have 2 keepers, 8 defenders and about 10 forwards/midfielders that they can rotate through. Chelsea and Arsenal didn't play their best XI until the quarterfinals of the Europa. Depth is absolutely critical to handling a season where you play in the neighborhood of 60 matches and I don't think we are close to having enough.

I’m just saying, it’s pointless saying “oh that XI will get murdered” when we’re never going to field a full swapped out XI.

20 decent players is definitely enough mate considering 22 is two full teams.

If we do get 7th we will need to have at least 2 of every position that we feel confident starting in any game plus an extra player in midfield and at the back who is versatile and can cover multiple spots. So that's 24 players who we are confident in to the point that in any game against any level opponent we can toss them in. Assuming Zouma and Gomes both come back permanently, we currently need another GK, LB, RB, CB, Attacking midfielder, Striker and winger. Honestly I just don't see that as doable in a single transfer window so maybe just maybe we would be best served not having to go through the hell of 3 rounds of Europa League qualifiers.
So i understand where you’re going with this but let’s say we don’t make it to 7th at the end of the season. I think regardless we will be signing 4-5 players including Gomes and possibly Zouma, I’d think that out of the 2-3 other signings 1 would be European ready from the day we sign them and the other signings will have a good chance of getting there but their first season most likely being subpar.

Now if we were to make it and still sign the same amount of 4-5 players including Gomes and possibly Zouma, I’d think 2 or even possibly 3 of the other signings would be Europa ready off the get go. Then the goal for the year wouldn’t be to make a deep run in Europa and suffer in the prem because of it but to make it out of the group stage at least and make it back into the competition for next year.

Teams like Atalanta have had wonders done at their club from qualifying for Europa 2 consecutive years and I think we should strive to do that also.

So i understand where you’re going with this but let’s say we don’t make it to 7th at the end of the season. I think regardless we will be signing 4-5 players including Gomes and possibly Zouma, I’d think that out of the 2-3 other signings 1 would be European ready from the day we sign them and the other signings will have a good chance of getting there but their first season most likely being subpar.

Now if we were to make it and still sign the same amount of 4-5 players including Gomes and possibly Zouma, I’d think 2 or even possibly 3 of the other signings would be Europa ready off the get go. Then the goal for the year wouldn’t be to make a deep run in Europa and suffer in the prem because of it but to make it out of the group stage at least and make it back into the competition for next year.

Teams like Atalanta have had wonders done at their club from qualifying for Europa 2 consecutive years and I think we should strive to do that also.

Wonders? Pray tell. I know they paggered us but not pulling up trees for me in a poor league.

Even if we kept ALL of

Pickford
Coleman Keane Zouma Digne
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
We need competition in all positions.

However, the reports from the club state that we want to develop young players at the club too.

If thats the plan then:

Virginia
Kenny
Gibson
Davies
Vlasic
Lookman
Onyekuru

'Could' take up 7 positions in a 2nd 11.

So, going off that and looking at organic growth we 'may' look at:

1 -- Left back to compete with Digne
2 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gana
3 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gomes
4 -- Centre forward to compete with DCL

Thats still 4 players which would give us a lot of depth and huge potential upside if were targeting u23 level transfers.

Im not talking about cheap players either...

That’s how I see it, given that Gana, Coleman and Gylfi are the the elders - it would make sense to start reviewing high potential candidates to act as understudies to them. Not least with the high talent in the team, Digne could bring on prodigy’s. The one area we need an experienced head is striker - although it looks like we will get someone only slightly older than DCL there.

It’s imperative we add Zouma and Gomes to the squad otherwise it’s going to take another season of bedding in alternatives.

Davies, Kenny have limited opportunities right now, if we get Europe we are ill equipped to deal without them - Personally feel Europe would be more of a hindrance for us whilst we are still transitioning into FC Sexy. x

If we do get Europe then I trust Silva and Brands to bring in adequate youth players (from the academy or signings) to assist with the prolonged more intense season we would deal with.

Baines more one season i think is the most fair decision. Holgate can replace Jagielka.

RB is necessary. Kenny need to be sent on loan.

Zouma and Gomes permanently... Morgan Schneiderlein and James McCarthy sell... Give Vlasic and Onyekuru a chance. And we need a CF that score goals. Sell Cenk Tosun
I just don’t understand the logic of keeping Baines, loaning Kenny, and buying a new RB. Kenny is more than competent at the back on the right and Baines hasn’t had a solid game in 2 years. The financially smart thing to do is let Baines’s contract run and sign a new LB preferably under 21 to give Digne breaks when needed.

Im not the biggest Richarlison fan in the world to be honest however i am willing to bet everything i have that he isn’t going anywhere this window...

after the last summer window i have the utmost confidence in Brands and Silva’s recruitment

The only starting XI player i would like to see sold and replaced would be gylfi
After yesterday do you still feel the same about Gylfi ???

Status
Not open for further replies.