Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been conservative, heres the 2nd team

Virginia
Kenny Mina Gibson ???
??? Vlasic
Lookman
??? ??? Onyekuru​

I would argue we need a Right Back and a Left back, ideally, Coleman has been much improved, but he needs some proper competition.

Its difficult, we did have some promising talents in Robinson and Connolly, but Robinson hasnt really kicked on and Connolly seems to play more in midfield.

The 2nd team very much highlights the lack of depth we have in the squad.

I mean theres nobody in it that you could point a finger at and say "yeah, they are a player", they are all maybes at this point.

Ive been conservative, heres the 2nd team

Virginia
Kenny Mina Gibson ???
??? Vlasic
Lookman
??? ??? Onyekuru​
Lets say we do field that team with a new signing dropping Bernard/Richarlison and DCL into that team and also throw Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Davies in because one of them will be here as well and then add some random LB in too. That team would get battered by every team above Brighton and I wouldn't trust them to 100% beat whichever Belarusian firefighters and insurance salesman show up at Goodison.

And that's the crux of what I'm getting at. The amount of players we need to confidently rotate the team and progress to at least the knockouts of the Europa while not simultaneously throwing away the Prem season is almost unattainable. Even if we have above an 50% success rate with the youngsters you've put in the team there we will still be fielding two players who have no business at that level plus almost none of those players are experienced in the system. It doesn't feel likely to work.

I would argue we need a Right Back and a Left back, ideally, Coleman has been much improved, but he needs some proper competition.

Its difficult, we did have some promising talents in Robinson and Connolly, but Robinson hasnt really kicked on and Connolly seems to play more in midfield.

I mean theres nobody in it that you could point a finger at and say "yeah, they are a player", they are all maybes at this point.
Robinson is a fair way off being Premiership level defensively. His games with the US Senior team were absolutely disastrous. He's kind of like a less seasoned, left footed Alexander Arnold except he isn't going to have Van Dijk to save him after the mistakes.

Baines more one season i think is the most fair decision. Holgate can replace Jagielka.

RB is necessary. Kenny need to be sent on loan.

Zouma and Gomes permanently... Morgan Schneiderlein and James McCarthy sell... Give Vlasic and Onyekuru a chance. And we need a CF that score goals. Sell Cenk Tosun

Wesley
Ante Rebic
Willian Jose
Andrea Petagna

All big hard snide mothers
Rebic is terrific.

I love Willian Jose...he'd be really interesting. True target guy, amazing in the air, hold up play is there, very skilled, terrific passer, not super pacey and not an amazing finisher, though. He'll work hard though and would certainly be a good PL striker. I think he's considerably better than Jimenez, but somewhat in the same mold.

Baines more one season i think is the most fair decision. Holgate can replace Jagielka.

Zouma and Gomes permanently... Morgan Schneiderlein and James McCarthy sell... Give Vlasic and Onyekuru a chance. And we need a CF that score goals. Sell Cenk Tosun
Baines and Jags are both out of contract and given we haven't done anything about it to this point it looks like they are both being moved on. Holgate was not very good with us and playing RB in the Championship doesn't feel like the kind of experience that is going to make him better to the point of playing. If we can get a cheap, young CB for less than 10 million I'd say do that and try to develop them and send Holgate on loan or just plain sell.

I still maintain Gomes is good, but would be a complete luxury. Get me a better player that can play as a 6 like we did today. Sangare would be one. Zakaria would be another option. Not sure about Phillip Billing, maybe Tousart, not sure about Sander Berge. But someone like that.

Baines and Jags are both out of contract and given we haven't done anything about it to this point it looks like they are both being moved on. Holgate was not very good with us and playing RB in the Championship doesn't feel like the kind of experience that is going to make him better to the point of playing. If we can get a cheap, young CB for less than 10 million I'd say do that and try to develop them and send Holgate on loan or just plain sell.
Holgate to me is a safe backup at both RB and CB. He is almost out of contract, though, I believe, but I'm assuming he won't be expensive.

He's a good squad player at a minimum.

I think we have to assume that Zouma isn't going to be here. Get us someone who is a bit different than Keane and Mina.

Lets say we do field that team with a new signing dropping Bernard/Richarlison and DCL into that team and also throw Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Davies in because one of them will be here as well and then add some random LB in too. That team would get battered by every team above Brighton and I wouldn't trust them to 100% beat whichever Belarusian firefighters and insurance salesman show up at Goodison.

And that's the crux of what I'm getting at. The amount of players we need to confidently rotate the team and progress to at least the knockouts of the Europa while not simultaneously throwing away the Prem season is almost unattainable. Even if we have above an 50% success rate with the youngsters you've put in the team there we will still be fielding two players who have no business at that level plus almost none of those players are experienced in the system. It doesn't feel likely to work.

Zouma and Gomes permanently... Morgan Schneiderlein and James McCarthy sell... Give Vlasic and Onyekuru a chance. And we need a CF that score goals. Sell Cenk Tosun​
I still maintain Gomes is good, but would be a complete luxury. Get me a better player that can play as a 6 like we did today. Sangare would be one. Zakaria would be another option. Not sure about Phillip Billing, maybe Tousart, not sure about Sander Berge. But someone like that.

Even if we kept ALL of

Pickford
Coleman Keane Zouma Digne
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
We need competition in all positions.

However, the reports from the club state that we want to develop young players at the club too.

If thats the plan then:

Virginia
Kenny
Gibson
Davies
Vlasic
Lookman
Onyekuru

'Could' take up 7 positions in a 2nd 11.

So, going off that and looking at organic growth we 'may' look at:

1 -- Left back to compete with Digne
2 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gana
3 -- Centre midfielder to compete with Gomes
4 -- Centre forward to compete with DCL

Thats still 4 players which would give us a lot of depth and huge potential upside if were targeting u23 level transfers.

Im not talking about cheap players either...

Status
Not open for further replies.