Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying its impossible, but think Coleman really has 3 or 4 years left in him? Think that might be a bit optimistic.

I think he is deceptively good at defending. I think you will see similar to the Baines trajectory that you could see his attacking game being further limited but he remained quite a solid fullback. I would imagine he will become a useful back up for some period of the next 3-4 years before eventually moving on.

Just like Monaco a couple of years back, brilliant young team just out of nowhere and absolutely all of the big clubs just overpower them and buy all the best players. It's what makes football so crap now, you can't enjoy any new teams for more than five mins.

I would say the only team to come through and stick to their guns not letting their best players be cherry picked are Atletico. They starved off the temptation from many clubs, but even that's dubious as they did sell a few of their bigger names, they just replaced them with players just as good, especially strikers.

Without splitting hairs, its hardly out of nowere.
They got to the europa league final 2 years ago
And made a concice effort to keep there stars for atleast another season or 2, by bargaining if they wait they will get the yelite clubs (De Jong-Barca), only Kluivert didnt go along with that. The likes of Neres, De Light, Dolberg, De Jong, Onana & Van Der Beek did

There would likely be a development fee, but won't be too high as hasn't been there that long.

To be honest they are a good club for us to buy from. When Brands spoke about top 6 teams and the talent of players not getting opportunities they are a good candidate for it. Their recruitment system is very smart under Edwards and they match a lot of the values we are looking for (their is a similarity in how we want to play).

What they cannot offer of course is much first team opportunities for players. If you look at Camacho, Arnold will be Liverpools right back for the next 10 years, he needs to go.

As for an age profile he looks good to me. I still think Coleman has 3-4 years in him before he is out and certainly another 18 months where ehe might be a first choice. That would allow Camacho to be close to 20 and be in pole position to replace him.

His contract expires in 2020, so they can still demand a fee. Allegedly they are demanding £10m plus add-ons.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wolves-line-up-10m-transfer-16096676

To an extent I agree with you, market forces dictate the role that you play. It is also quite fundamentally unfair and in truth a fairly abhorrent part of the modern game (and in truth modern society in general).

That being said clubs such as Ajax have became quite pragmatic to it. They make it work as best as they can for themselves. To a certain degree I think we could learn a lot from that.

The example I would also give would be Celtic (who I appreciate are going down this route too). Glasgow is a massive area (bigger than Manchester or Liverpool) where football is just as entrenched. For me they spent too long spending money on secondary standard players for big money, rather than cultivating a culture whereby they utilise that resource (as Ajax tend to do with Amsterdam and Holland and then sell to Bundesliga & further afield).

Long and short of it though is that Ajax will be very comfortable with losing players. Their manager has done a fantastic job their too and well worth keeping an eye on him.
No I'm in total agreement with you, i'm just saying it would be irrelevant whether they were happy or not really, because it would still happen.

I love Everton, and always say we're a big club etc, but the truth is that we should not be sat here thinking that a team currently 9th in the PL has a legitimate chance of taking the best players from a current CL quarter finalist with the history and support of Ajax. They should be laughing at the idea we could poach their players, but they can't laugh at it, because the money we can offer them and the money and exposure we can offer the player blows them out of the water. They're not really happy with it at all, they just understand how it works. They've accepted their place in the hierarchy. They no longer think they can win Champions Leagues, and so are content to sell players for a huge profit, which they'll reinvest to buy players capable of winning them the dutch league, hoping that once in a blue moon a squad will come together which lets them have another run like this one.

It's a model which doesn't really work for us, because accepting our place would mean forever thinking 7th was a great season, and that once in a while it will all come together for one glorious, fleeting, moment, before the vultures pick us off again after we finish 4th.

Just like Monaco a couple of years back, brilliant young team just out of nowhere and absolutely all of the big clubs just overpower them and buy all the best players. It's what makes football so crap now, you can't enjoy any new teams for more than five mins.

I would say the only team to come through and stick to their guns not letting their best players be cherry picked are Atletico. They starved off the temptation from many clubs, but even that's dubious as they did sell a few of their bigger names, they just replaced them with players just as good, especially strikers.

Also again without splitting hairs again.
25 years ago, it happened, its not a new thing, that Ajax team that won the CL in 95 got split up over the next 18 months. Reiziger, Bogarde, Davids & Kluivert all left for Milan, Overmars went to Arsenal, Rijkaard retired that summer , Seedorf got off to Sampdoria that summer & Kanu went to Inter.
A few stayed till 99 (Van Der Saar, the De Boers & Blind) but htats about it.

De Ligt is going to be a superstar

For me, he is already in that class...and only 19! A good decade or more at the top is what I see in his future

No I'm in total agreement with you, i'm just saying it would be irrelevant whether they were happy or not really, because it would still happen.

I love Everton, and always say we're a big club etc, but the truth is that we should not be sat here thinking that a team currently 9th in the PL has a legitimate chance of taking the best players from a current CL quarter finalist with the history and support of Ajax. They should be laughing at the idea we could poach their players, but they can't laugh at it, because the money we can offer them and the money and exposure we can offer the player blows them out of the water. They're not really happy with it at all, they just understand how it works. They've accepted their place in the hierarchy. They no longer think they can win Champions Leagues, and so are content to sell players for a huge profit, which they'll reinvest to buy players capable of winning them the dutch league, hoping that once in a blue moon a squad will come together which lets them have another run like this one.

It's a model which doesn't really work for us, because accepting our place would mean forever thinking 7th was a great season, and that once in a while it will all come together for one glorious, fleeting, moment, before the vultures pick us off again after we finish 4th.

No but the only model that "works" is one where you have true equality really, which could never happen.

They will make a fortune out of the sales and many of the lads who leave, I suspect will not reach the heights they might be predicted too, because Ajax is a very nurturing environment. We signed their captain and he flopped.

Our focus has to be on improving players too.

No but the only model that "works" is one where you have true equality really, which could never happen.

They will make a fortune out of the sales and many of the lads who leave, I suspect will not reach the heights they might be predicted too, because Ajax is a very nurturing environment. We signed their captain and he flopped.

But that move and the premium we paid for Klaassen is also because they have such a strong reputation for developing players. I agree that it's tough to truly be a CL winning side if you can't keep your best players. BUT if you buy and sell well, if you scout and develop well, it's not impossible. But yes, without the wages, you will almost always miss out on your players best years. You can take a gamble every now and then and keep them another year I suppose.

But that move and the premium we paid for Klaassen is also because they have such a strong reputation for developing players. I agree that it's tough to truly be a CL winning side if you can't keep your best players. BUT if you buy and sell well, if you scout and develop well, it's not impossible. But yes, without the wages, you will almost always miss out on your players best years. You can take a gamble every now and then and keep them another year I suppose.

I suppose their view would be, the more money you can make from sales the higher the wage bill you can have and the longer you can keep your players.

Not really.

When I say the model doesn't work for us I mean the model of selling your best players and replacing them with clearly inferior ones. Ajax and Celtic do that, they know where they stand, and they don't try to fight it. I'm saying that model doesn't work for us because we're trying to actually improve (or at least I hope we are).

Status
Not open for further replies.