2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we got completely smoked in the first half? I like Gomes, I do. But he contributes ZERO defensively. He constantly gets bypassed, rarely makes a tackle or an interception, and constantly fouls, which isn't the best idea with our set piece defense - thankfully, Sarri is too stubborn to actually run a set piece. I love what he brings with the ball - great dribbler, protects the ball, had a couple great shots, which was good to see, but come on. There's a reason Silva subbed him out - he was almost guaranteed to get a second yellow the way he plays defense - or doesn't play defense. In addition, Silva was fine to concede some possession at that point and well, if we don't have the ball, Gomes is pretty much worthless.

Again, I'm all for signing him if he's cheap, he is quality on the ball, but he's a massive liability without it.

Well its not his job to defend.

Edit: his english is better than I thought it'd be

the video doesn't embed for some reason, click tweet to see it

Hope the rumors are true and he comes in permanently for 25-30M. He's a solid player, who at times can look amazing, and will only improve us if he's here next year. He also seems to be a solid bloke, who loves the club, so get him in (permanently)!

When we got completely smoked in the first half? I like Gomes, I do. But he contributes ZERO defensively. He constantly gets bypassed, rarely makes a tackle or an interception, and constantly fouls, which isn't the best idea with our set piece defense - thankfully, Sarri is too stubborn to actually run a set piece. I love what he brings with the ball - great dribbler, protects the ball, had a couple great shots, which was good to see, but come on. There's a reason Silva subbed him out - he was almost guaranteed to get a second yellow the way he plays defense - or doesn't play defense. In addition, Silva was fine to concede some possession at that point and well, if we don't have the ball, Gomes is pretty much worthless.

Again, I'm all for signing him if he's cheap, he is quality on the ball, but he's a massive liability without it.
Wasn’t he reportedly injured?

Really hope we get him permanently.

He faded over Dec and Jan but I think that was because he didn’t have a full preseason and a hectic schedule he wouldn’t be used to.

Same for Bernard think we’ll see a much improved player there.

Status
Not open for further replies.