2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure he could have put himself about much more than he did. Bear in mind he had absolutely nil support alongside him for the vast majority of the match. Made sure VVD and Matip knew they had a game and his link up play was excellent at times.

I genuinely thought he was great. A proper striker at the club will help lift the burden and expectations on a 21 year-old striker.
Spot on mate, a young lad up against one of the best centre halves in Europe at the moment. He is not the finished article and may never be a top class striker, but he is the best we have at the moment, so give him a break lads eh?

If Tammy Abraham can net for fun there, Dom won't have a problem.
You may be right. But I don't think so, and I'd actually use Tammy Abrahams as a prime example. He scored shedloads playing against championship defenders whilst with Bristol City. got found out when in the Premier League with Swansea, and is now doing it again against championship defenders with Villa. For me, that doesn't make him a better player, it makes him a decent championship player. I expect DCL will be just as prolific as Abrahams at that level. But that, in my opinion, won't make him a good premier striker.

DCL needs to improve in all area's of his game, which is fair enough as a 21 yo. There are certain aspects he needs to improve more than others. But if he is going to become a premier striker he needs to be doing that learning against the top defenders. All he'll learn in the championship is how to score in the championship. That may actually be his level; he still has a lot to learn to be a regular starter at a premier team that has European qualification as a standard. and there's no guarantee he'll reach that level. But at least he is still improving albeit a bot slower than we would wish. It would help if we had a top striker at the club that he could learn from.

The bottom line is that he is decent back up. It isn't his fault that our main striker isn't good enough.

You may be right. But I don't think so, and I'd actually use Tammy Abrahams as a prime example. He scored shedloads playing against championship defenders whilst with Bristol City. got found out when in the Premier League with Swansea, and is now doing it again against championship defenders with Villa. For me, that doesn't make him a better player, it makes him a decent championship player. I expect DCL will be just as prolific as Abrahams at that level. But that, in my opinion, won't make him a good premier striker.

DCL needs to improve in all area's of his game, which is fair enough as a 21 yo. There are certain aspects he needs to improve more than others. But if he is going to become a premier striker he needs to be doing that learning against the top defenders. All he'll learn in the championship is how to score in the championship. That may actually be his level; he still has a lot to learn to be a regular starter at a premier team that has European qualification as a standard. and there's no guarantee he'll reach that level. But at least he is still improving albeit a bot slower than we would wish. It would help if we had a top striker at the club that he could learn from.

The bottom line is that he is decent back up. It isn't his fault that our main striker isn't good enough.

I disagree with that because the problem I feel with a lot of English talent is the amount of game time they get regardless of standard of league.

Take Lookman and Sancho over in Germany. Could be argued that the Bundesliga is slightly stronger than the championship in terms of quality (3 top teams, the rest aren't up to much) and will develop a better technical player. But the pace, the amount of games, the style suits the premiership.

We tend to buy foreign players who have all started out in lower leagues of a lesser standard playing 100+ games. So sending a player who is premiership standard out to a sort of finishing school would work well

I disagree with that because the problem I feel with a lot of English talent is the amount of game time they get regardless of standard of league.

Take Lookman and Sancho over in Germany. Could be argued that the Bundesliga is slightly stronger than the championship in terms of quality (3 top teams, the rest aren't up to much) and will develop a better technical player. But the pace, the amount of games, the style suits the premiership.

We tend to buy foreign players who have all started out in lower leagues of a lesser standard playing 100+ games. So sending a player who is premiership standard out to a sort of finishing school would work well
The Bundesliga is well better than the championship mate what are you on? I think the quality may be down a bit currently but to say it's only slightly better than a second tier league is silly.

Shouldnt be a 1st choice striker for me just yet.But he's doing fine atm and will be better as he gets older. Needs to toughen up and sharpen up , the rest will be come naturally to him.

Improving all the time but still a long way to go...

This lad is going to be a top striker he has all the attributes...

We do need better though next season a 20+ goals striker & a mean defence that hate conceding goals....

Shouldnt be a 1st choice striker for me just yet.But he's doing fine atm and will be better as he gets older. Needs to toughen up and sharpen up , the rest will be come naturally to him.
Toughen up should be the first thing on his "to do" list he's a big lad with a good physique,should be bullying defenders.Makes me wonder what Ferguson's role really is on the coaching staff.

The facts don't back that up though. Just getting lots of game time in the championship doesn't make you a better player at Premier level.

And I would say that the German and French leagues are comfortably higher standard than the Championship. Even playing at one of the better clubs in one of the lesser leagues like Dutch, Belgian, Turkish, Russian etc, can improve the player because they are playing/training with better players and also get to play European football which can expose them to top top players. They aren't getting that in the championship.

Generally young players need exposure to open age football at an early age, 16/18 ideally. From 19 onwards they need to be playing at a top level if they are to develop into the type of player we need. They need to be playing and training with International class players on a daily basis, and also playing against the best whether they be a defender, midfielder or attacker. DCL playing against some championship slogger will not prepare him to come up against the likes of VVD. Likewise Kenny playing against the likes of James McClean will in no way prepare him for Mane, Sane or Hazard.

Ironically, he is currently our best striker. Unfortunately Tosen, just isn't mobile enough. Richarlison isn't as good playing in the middle and is currently sulking.
The last season and this will do DCL, loads of good. Not many young English Strikers get to play in the Premier league so many games. Yes we need an upgrade in the summer.

I agree he is improving slightly and we will need him for the rest of the season because we can't get anyone else in so no choice. This is the time he needs to improve at a good rate because we cannot have him starting next season as our striker or it will be another long season. I do believe a loan would be best for his future be it in the PL or Championship for the only reason being that he isn't good enough yet for us and the longer we have him learning his trade here the more detrimental it is to us. We are a team that is unable to carry players and get away with it and how long do we keep playing him until he becomes a threat. He should be either a sub next season or on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.