Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to go back to picking up lower league rather then Premier League level.

It sounds stupid but over the past 4-5 seasons we have played against these lads in under 19-23 so we know of their potential.

By the time in the summer we will have lose a lot of wages so we can attract them with bigger wages but nothing to stupid like Williams or Sandro wages.

The only problem I have, is that the main reason you'd shop down there is to get bargain values. Right now, players from the second division aren't bargains. Maddison has done well, but for £25m? Hmm, I wouldn't say he's been value. I mean, there'll be so so many players of the same calibre across Europe available for half that price. There's no real tim cahill's for £1.5m anymore.

Players the calibre of digne, mina, gomes, bernard and Richarlison after we finished 8th last season.
Digne has been excellent
Jury still completely out on Mina
Gomes has been both excellent and quite poor - hoping it's just a fitness issue that saw him slide massively
Bernard has shown flashes of genius but hasn't exactly lit the place on fire
Richarlison has been mostly good, but we did pay a fortune for him, so you'd hope he would be. Looking for improvement from him as he matures.

Digne has been excellent
Jury still completely out on Mina
Gomes has been both excellent and quite poor - hoping it's just a fitness issue that saw him slide massively
Bernard has shown flashes of genius but hasn't exactly lit the place on fire
Richarlison has been mostly good, but we did pay a fortune for him, so you'd hope he would be. Looking for improvement from him as he matures.

I wasn't on about their performances, I was on about their caribe.

Three from barca, one of them being a young star of the world cup. One who quickly became brazils no. 9. One former Brazilian International who had a lot of interest from Europe.

We were miserable last season and still attracted high calibre players, we can definitely do the same again this summer.

Three from barca, one of them being a young star of the world cup. One who quickly became brazils no. 9. One former Brazilian International who had a lot of interest from Europe.

We were miserable last season and still attracted high calibre players, we can definitely do the same again this summer.
Yeah, but I'd argue that Digne (and arguably Gomes - though his stock had massively dropped) is the only one of those signings with true "calibre". Mina is almost completely untested in Europe (PS. IF we bought him on the strength of a couple of games in the World Cup where he wasn't even the best defender in his side, then more fool us!), as is Bernard. Richarlison people were doing their nut over the price we paid, because it was effectively on the basis of 10-12 good games for Watford - thankfully that one doesn't seem to have worked out too badly.

Not saying I'm not happy with our business in the summer of 2018 btw, just mean that Deulofeu (certainly on the basis of his performances this season) wouldn't be streets behind the sort of calibre we've been signing, and I'm not sure we can realistically expect a HUGE amount higher.

Now we might well find players with greater ability - but their track record will be unproven/less proven.

If Silva is staying its essential we get a leader CB who can organise the defence as Keane/Zouma/Mina do not work.

Personally would keep Keane and Holgate as back up CB's and bring in a leader to partner Mina going forward.
one worth a shout and that I would like to see targeted by the club is Willi Orban from RB Leipzig.
  • 26 years old
  • 185 cm (6’1”)
  • good passer
  • comfortable with the ball at his feet
  • great defensive positioning
  • very good in the air
  • no nonsense center back
  • natural leader
Southampton are in for him and were linked in January so I hope we can be a better option for him. Could provide some much needed stability to the back and more importantly be a leader for the team for 5-6 years.

Transfermarkt has him listed at just under £18m and another source states for his contract ending in 2022 he’s only making £25k a week.

With Jags and Baines contracts expiring and Zouma unlikely due to Chelsea’s ban we could most certainly offer him £35k a week.

Definitely with Brands and Silva we can bring in top players.

Yeah, but I'd argue that Digne (and arguably Gomes - though his stock had massively dropped) is the only one of those signings with true "calibre". Mina is almost completely untested in Europe (PS. IF we bought him on the strength of a couple of games in the World Cup where he wasn't even the best defender in his side, then more fool us!), as is Bernard. Richarlison people were doing their nut over the price we paid, because it was effectively on the basis of 10-12 good games for Watford - thankfully that one doesn't seem to have worked out too badly.

Not saying I'm not happy with our business in the summer of 2018 btw, just mean that Deulofeu (certainly on the basis of his performances this season) wouldn't be streets behind the sort of calibre we've been signing, and I'm not sure we can realistically expect a HUGE amount higher.

Now we might well find players with greater ability - but their track record will be unproven/less proven.

Mina: It was already stated by Brands that we wanted him (heres articles on it) and were gutted he scored against England as his value increased.

Richarlison: He had more than 10-12 good games for watford...just because he didnt score in the second half of the season doesnt mean he didnt have good games...he was switched to a left midfield role and did lots of defensive work

Mina: It was already stated by Brands that we wanted him (heres articles on it) and were gutted he scored against England as his value increased.

Richarlison: He had more than 10-12 good games for watford...just because he didnt score in the second half of the season doesnt mean he didnt have good games...he was switched to a left midfield role and did lots of defensive work
Wasn't suggesting that the WC was why we wanted him, just saying that was really the only "pedigree" he has - he's pretty much unproven.

Richarlison - the couple of Watford fans I know say he was pretty anonymous for the las 2/3 of the season.

Wasn't suggesting that the WC was why we wanted him, just saying that was really the only "pedigree" he has - he's pretty much unproven.

Richarlison - the couple of Watford fans I know say he was pretty anonymous for the las 2/3 of the season.

Id heard of him solely from reading about him before he signed for Barca as they had signed him a year before pre contract...very highly rated and the fee they paid was agreed 12months prior to him joining or it would have been closer to what we paid...maybe £20mil id guess.

Disagree with your mates, I watched some games and he was really defending alot of the time and further back than under silva. Think he had one of the highest tackle % or something for them.

Id heard of him solely from reading about him before he signed for Barca as they had signed him a year before pre contract...very highly rated and the fee they paid was agreed 12months prior to him joining or it would have been closer to what we paid...maybe £20mil id guess.

Disagree with your mates, I watched some games and he was really defending alot of the time and further back than under silva. Think he had one of the highest tackle % or something for them.
I should have said "unproven in Europe" to be fair.

This is the first season since 2002/03 that we have had 2 players get into double figures with Premier League goals in a season.

Kevin Campbell (10) and Thomas Radzinski (11).

We need Brandts to be going all out for a proven goal scorer.

In Iceland and Rico, we now have 2 players who can chip in with 10 plus a season.

Now we need a NO.9.

This is the first season since 2002/03 that we have had 2 players get into double figures with Premier League goals in a season.

Kevin Campbell (10) and Thomas Radzinski (11).

We need Brandts to be going all out for a proven goal scorer.

In Iceland and Rico, we now have 2 players who can chip in with 10 plus a season.

Now we need a NO.9.
We need TWO strikers in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.