New Everton Stadium Discussion

Mad that Wolves will have a bigger ground than Juventus.
Even with the low average attendance in the Italian domestic game, you'd expect The Old Lady to be able to fill more than 41k than their stadium can hold.

I also love how the claim it only cost €155 million to build, which I expect is a figure from someone's imagination. With regards to Wolves, will they fill it?

Probably kids who play too much FIFA and think they’re gonna be conquering the world in 2021, I imagine reasonable adults who support Wolves are happy with that reasonable capacity.
I met a family of Wolves season ticket holders on holiday a few years ago who we keep in touch with. I've text him and to summarise his reply...

'Talk of top forty thousand plus is nonsense. Best to see top thirties first as we don't have a big ST waiting list and still have people who get tickets on the day.'

I like their ambition to be fair, but it's similar to people on here who were saying we should have built a 65k plus, when the reality is we would struggle to fill it.

Aborted for a reason.

When they got the architects who designed Beijing's Bird Nest involved and announced that stadium design, they were surely thinking they'd be getting a fair wedge from their owner to pay for it. And I'm sure it's not coincidence the announcement it'd been put on hold came the same week Roman's visa problems emerged.

That thing would've cost a bomb, easily into the realms of some of the crazy NFL stadiums in terms of costs. There was talk of them buying a brick factory to produce the 6 million bricks needed, every element looks a different size and shape. It's effectively the cost of a normal 60k stadium, plus the cost of a giant columned steel/brick frame encasing it....absolutely nuts...

3D-renderings-of-the-new-Stamford-Bridge.jpg

The upshot being, that kind of design isn't possible without a very, very generous owner or NFL-level revenue. Chelsea are rich, but left to their own devices, not that rich. In future I reckon they could pull off a more conventional steel/glass stadium build with some unique features (i.e. like we've done), but the brick egg-slice was always Roman's vanity project.

So yeah, if you're looking at half a billion for your stadium, probably best not to expect something that would cost at least double that. :p

Stadiums are weird, probably because there’s such a small sample size and most are bespoke builds, but seems like all cost 50% more than expected. That would easily have cost £500m more to build than expected. I reckon BMD will cost £600-750m itself when finished.