• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been allowed to do this in bringing in Digne, mina and Zouma and so far we are still terrible ( and all 3 are massive upgrades on what we had as well btw )
To be fair we can't count Mina yet. Don't think we will see anything from him until next season. Think he's going to be a monster for us.
That still leaves us with the issue of playing Keane and Coleman/Kenny who all under-performed last season.
May be a bit harsh on Kenny though.

Nah he just bought poorly. Funes Mori was bought for relatively big money at the time, but he was absolutely not the answer. The defence wasn't really aging either, Jagielka, Heitinga, and Baines were still in their 20s when he took over, Stones was about 20, Coleman 24, Oviedo 23. Silva took over with Baines and Jagielka now 5 years older, Coleman 30 and coming off a serious injury, and Williams in his mid 30s. If anyone took over an aging defence it's Silva.

Yeah didnt understand that aging defence comment.

Something has to change
Maybe Brands should get him to bring in a dedicated defensive coach as its plain we're getting exploited every week.
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is just madness.

And that old adage is being repeated on every football discussion on the radio or TV now.

Going on the evidence at Hull, Watford and now EFC, the man is either unwilling to try sommat else or incapable of it.

Surely even Silva’s heart must be in his mouth every time we face a free kick or a corner.......I know mine is as is every other fan.

Something has to change.....and if it is not the failed tactics that are changed then it has to be the fool persisting with the madness which is apparent to all.

And that old adage is being repeated on every football discussion on the radio or TV now.

Going on the evidence at Hull, Watford and now EFC, the man is either unwilling to try sommat else or incapable of it.

Surely even Silva’s heart must be in his mouth every time we face a free kick or a corner.......I know mine is as is every other fan.

Something has to change.....and if it is not the failed tactics that are changed then it has to be the fool persisting with the madness which is apparent to all.

I honestly dont understand why the players cant pick up a man.

If I was playing CB and their Striker was unmarked in the box, I would mark him, I wouldnt care what my manager had told me.

You got to love the way other Managers are coming out and defending him and saying he needs more time. Yeah right, nothing to do with the fact that they are looking out for fellow extremely high paid colleagues and that having us as poor as we are makes us an easy guaranteed win and no threat to their teams future.

At this point we would be absolute idiots to keep this guy in charge any further than we need to. It couldn't be any more obvious that he isn't the man to take us forward. We still wont be able to defend set pieces in 10 years time and people will still be saying he needs more time.

Fully expecting to be humiliated on and off the pitch by a bunch of bitter nobodies on Saturday. Will be extra painful knowing that they are still suing our asses for stealing him from them. Wasn't that long ago that they would have looked up to us as a respected club with great history. Now they just laugh at us and and have no respect for us at all and who can blame them when we are mismanaged from the very top as much as we have been the last few years.

Sick to death of Everton tbh. Just stuck in an infinite loop of going round in circles and never going anywhere.

If I was playing CB and their Striker was unmarked in the box, I would mark him, I wouldnt care what my manager had told me.

Picking up a man should be instinctive, plus Pickford should be marshalling them and telling them what to do / who to pick up too.

I can`t believe that they`re that robotic. Just because the manager has drilled into them that " this is how he wants it " that they can`t apply a degree of common sense / flexibility to his instructions.

On second thoughts, this is Everton !!!!!!

Picking up a man should be instinctive, plus Pickford should be marshalling them and telling them what to do / who to pick up too.

I can`t believe that they`re that robotic. Just because the manager has drilled into them that " this is how he wants it " that they can`t apply a degree of common sense / flexibility to his instructions.

Same here....but the modern player is not allowed to act on his own initiative, apparently.

I was recently reading something Thierry Henri wrote, about his time at Barcelona under Pep.

He said he picked up the ball in an area he was not supposed to be in and feinted to take a couple defenders out, ran on with the ball and scored a good goal.

He was delighted....the Camp Nou crowd was delighted.

But five minutes later he was hooked....and Pep told him off for not following the game plan :(

Both the centre halves can win balls in the air shirt tight against strikers on long balls coming down on them outside the box. So its clearly silvas training ground tactics where they look clueless on who or what they should be doing. So i agree i think they should just say stuff it. Im man marking him. Not a zone.

whilst the overall defence might be better in open play, it doesn't matter as we counter that by being a shambles defending set plays / that's like saying we have a midfield that are amazing at creating chances but have a striker who cannot finish, you need a balance of both?

A balance, yes, but it's not an even balance. If roughly 15% to 25% of all goals scored in the PL are on set pieces, which are you going to spend the most time on? What are you MOST concerned about? Which really drives results? Obviously, I'm not going to ask which is the most frustrating to concede.

Last year, we gave up 58 total, 46 from open play with 8 from set pieces. That's 1.2 goals a game from open play. Obviously, leading the league is open play goals would be my bigger concern. This year, it's 20 in open play, and 12 from set pieces. That's WAY too high from set pieces, OF COURSE. But average is probably 8, West Ham has given up 11, Wolves / Cardiff / Newcastle have given up 10, so we are talking about 4 to 6 goals too many vs. an improvement of 11-12 goals from open play.

So to be fair, you have to give Silva tremendous credit for the OVERALL defensive improvements (and the players coming into the side). In fact, we are 4th best in the league at conceding shots. Heck, if Pickford was playing even as an average keeper, we've be even better on goals against in open play.

Does that excuse the set piece deficiencies? HECK NO. Silva deserves plenty of the blame, even if I think it's much of the players faults. But COME ON, this doesn't mean Marco is a bad defensive coach, nor does he NOT deserve credit for a pretty significant improvement overall.

We were under Martinez, Koeman so it's not a new problem. The solution is either sort the players out so we have players who can play in a team that wants to play football and score goals without losing the ability to defend OR we adapt our play to suit the players and start playing how we did under Allardyce. I'm assuming the way we played football under him is part of the reason most of us wanted him out and not just because he is a vile morally void imitation of a human?

Have you ever met Sam Allardyce? Thought not. Some on here are keen to criticise him for what he 'achieved' at Everton,and are also keen to forget that HE DID THE JOB HE WAS EMPLOYED TO DO. He may be a 'dinosaur'. and he may be defensively minded. Its a well known saying in football that you build a team from the back. We sacrificed attacking entertainment under Allardyce for relative defensive solidarity...it didn't work completely successfully in defence,but it was enough to get us 8th. And he did that largely with defenders who were at the club when he arrived. His two major signings were both attackers. It might not be a popular opinion amongst the internet lemmings on here, but there is a chance that if SAm had been given another season our football might have become more expansive. Sam Allardyce was trapped in a reputation for putting out fires and saving relegation haunted clubs, but he possibly sensed an opportunity at Everton to recreate his success at Bolton. I think it was pressure from fans that motivated Mosh to sack Sam, and the same pressure and his own mistaken idea to employ Silva. Mosh has a new train set and quite soon, he'll learn to drive it without coming off the rails.

I agree, last nights performance was an improvement, and hopefully we will improve even more of the remaining games we have and pick up as many points as we can.

Our defending still leaves a lot to be desired and needs a change of tactic from our head coach, coach being the optimum word there.
...operative...

Have you ever met Sam Allardyce? Thought not. Some on here are keen to criticise him for what he 'achieved' at Everton,and are also keen to forget that HE DID THE JOB HE WAS EMPLOYED TO DO. He may be a 'dinosaur'. and he may be defensively minded. Its a well known saying in football that you build a team from the back. We sacrificed attacking entertainment under Allardyce for relative defensive solidarity...it didn't work completely successfully in defence,but it was enough to get us 8th. And he did that largely with defenders who were at the club when he arrived. His two major signings were both attackers. It might not be a popular opinion amongst the internet lemmings on here, but there is a chance that if SAm had been given another season our football might have become more expansive. Sam Allardyce was trapped in a reputation for putting out fires and saving relegation haunted clubs, but he possibly sensed an opportunity at Everton to recreate his success at Bolton. I think it was pressure from fans that motivated Mosh to sack Sam, and the same pressure and his own mistaken idea to employ Silva. Mosh has a new train set and quite soon, he'll learn to drive it without coming off the rails.

Here we go again.

He was the master of his own downfall.

He was brought into do a job, stop the possibility of relegation. Which he did.

However once we were safe he continued to serve up his “ no shots a game footy “, when in fact it was a golden opportunity for him to show there was more to him than his footballing eye aids.

Has he done this, he may well’ve still been here now, rather than acting like a spoilt kid on Talksport and continually whining about how dare Everton treat me like that.

Then to compound matters he decided to take the fans on at every opportunity for daring to criticising him.

He’s a stain on the history of the club and needs to be airbrushed out,

Status
Not open for further replies.