Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll certainly never have a goalkeeper as good as him probably in most of our lifetimes.

Players like him come around once in a lifetime which is why in 141 years of us being a football club, he'll be in 99.9% people's top 10 Everton players of all time

Certainly my favourite Everton player. Schmeichel was a quality keeper but for me was about a fair few steps below Southall

Players like him come around once in a lifetime which is why in 141 years of us being a football club, he'll be in 99.9% people's top 10 Everton players of all time

Quick quiz macca - when the main site had ‘best 11’ (by position mostly) years ago there were was only one player who got in every team. Think Nev missed one. And there were what seemed like hundreds. The winter just flew by reading all of them. Who was it?

We'll certainly never have a goalkeeper as good as him probably in most of our lifetimes.

Certainly my favourite Everton player. Schmeichel was a quality keeper but for me was about a fair few steps below Southall
This...no doubt about Schmeichels ability but no one was as good as Nev. A real EFC legend

What happened there?
Rather than grinning maniacally and going along with the sanitised club mantras, he says it like it is. He's the sort who is quite prepared to point out that the emperor is totally in the nip.

Nobody running an institution likes that. People like to surround themselves with sycophants while they collect money, and the sycophants hope for a slice. It's why we, as a species, are not cruising across galaxies yet. :coffee:

Grew up watching Nev and he was undoubtedly a hero of mine but ... and not gonna beca popular view.... he doesn’t help himself. He’s not a bad bloke but let’s face it he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer. It’s all well and good being some outspoken social warrior but it makes you look a bit stupid when you can’t see others point of view. He just says too many stupid things for his own good. Doesn’t detract from the fact he’s the best keeper I’ve ever seen and is a bonafide legend.

Big Nev is my cousin, the main reason for my Everton life. We are both from Llandudno and grew up on the Orme, went to the same school etc. His fam still live on my road (at least they did when I was there). I used to try and get hold of his niece from Epping.

Bizzarely, never met him!

One great story was from our primary school. The headmaster read an extract from the school log book, which basically went:

" today the school (Ysgol Yr Wyddfyd) won the county cup, due almost entirely to Neville Southalls exceptional goalkeeping"

Amazing when you consider the whole school only had about 25 pupils!

Status
Not open for further replies.