New Everton Stadium Discussion

Interesting.

I guess with Tottenham going for the 1:1 ratio, they still want to keep that luxury feel in the new stadium, giving the London tourists what they expect from a Premier League ground.

Everton seem to be trying to go for the 1:8 ratio, packing the fans in to bump the capacity up. We’re not going for the luxury option, like Tottenham.

Good.

Just seen this posted in a Spurs stadium thread, thought it might be of interest, since I've seen a few ask if the two year build suggested by some at EFC is realistic. Also some points about major contractors not being willing to set-up fixed-priced contracts...

The Spurs stadium is on time, it’s the deadline that’s wrong

Analysis by Construction News found that of the seven newly built stadiums with capacities above 40,000, constructed after the Taylor Report made all-seater stadiums a requirement, the average length of time taken to build the schemes was more than three years.

In fact, no stadium has been built from scratch in less than three years this century, with the last project completed in less being the Millennium Stadium in 1999.

However, while the time taken to complete the project may be in keeping with previous jobs of a similar scale, missing the deadline for completion is not.

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of big UK stadium projects are delivered on time.

Of the major all-seater projects embarked on post-Taylor Report, only Wembley and Spurs have missed sporting deadlines.

Spurs may have had its issues, but it certainly has not been the seven-year saga that Wembley was. In fact, if the project had set itself a three-year deadline, then it’s likely the job would be on time, making Wembley the real outlier.

But here’s the question the construction industry needs to ask itself: is it unreasonable for Spurs to expect the timeframe for completion to get shorter?

Given there have been meteoric improvements in the speed, efficiency and productivity in other sectors, why should the same not be asked of construction, which constantly comes bottom of the pile when measured against other industries.

The modern stadium is a project of incredible complexity and the reason why it was possible to build the 42,000-seater Stadium of Light in a year back in 1999 is because it doesn’t have the same level of sophistication as the Spurs stadium does.

Many will complain that pushy clients are making infeasible demands, but is it unrealistic to expect an industry to have improved ten years on from the last project of a similar scale (Arsenal’s Emirates 2006)?

One thing that surely isn’t helping is the way in which it is being treated by the banks.

A Spurs spokesman revealed to Construction News this week that main contractors were reluctant to take up the favoured contract options of the scheme’s financial backers: a fixed-price design-and-build arrangement.

The contractors’ reticence is understandable considering the level of risk involved, but with banks reducing lending to the construction sector, is it fair for them to also be pushing for riskier agreements?

The sector needs the ability to invest, particularly if it is going to improve the speed at which it works. Having financial institutions acting this way does little to help.

A demanding client may be difficult, but an unhelpful bank can be disastrous.

Stay tuned tomorrow for an in-depth look at the stadiums sector as well as a fresh exclusive regarding the new Spurs stadium.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/...its-the-deadline-thats-wrong/10039197.article

I don’t think anyone thinks two years is realistic, heck, given that this is Everton, I don’t even think we’ll get it done in three years. Wouldn’t surprise me if we do a Valencia, get the structure built, but can’t finish the project.

I still question the wisdom of leaving a stadium that provides a smaller capacity with plenty of obstructed views, for one that provides a much larger capacity with nil obstructed viewing.
When you're watching Everton, you need to give your eyes as much protection as possible. Eye bleeds are very painful. Why would you want to increase its incidence? This proposed stadium move is, in my opinion, very short-sighted (pun intended)

I still question the wisdom of leaving a stadium that provides a smaller capacity with plenty of obstructed views, for one that provides a much larger capacity with nil obstructed viewing.
When you're watching Everton, you need to give your eyes as much protection as possible. Eye bleeds are very painful. Why would you want to increase its incidence? This proposed stadium move is, in my opinion, very short-sighted (pun intended)

You didn't see the press release about which direction the seats would be facing did you?

Talking about exec boxes & hospitality suites ,I don't get the idea of having a big 3 course meal pre-match .I'd prefer it afterwards ,so for that reason I'm out. Like to see better facilities for the avarage fan pre-match though ,like at Wembley.
Experienced it just the one time, getting treated for my 60th.
Entered 85 Lounge at midday, copious amounts of Guiness and red wine, three course meal including best fillet steak I've had then the game. Guiness waiting on your table at half time and at end of play. Brilliant day out made better as we actually won.
I would like to be around in four years time to do it again at our new midden.

I’d love for the new stadium to incorporate a huge bar for fans, or have a fan zone with huge tents, selling ales at reasonable prices. Get local bands in to provide some entertainment.

Just because it’s a football club, why do they have to charge £4-£5 a pint? It’s ridiculous. Get £2-£3 pints on offer and I bet a lot of people would do it, both before and after the match.

I’d love for the new stadium to incorporate a huge bar for fans, or have a fan zone with huge tents, selling ales at reasonable prices. Get local bands in to provide some entertainment.

Just because it’s a football club, why do they have to charge £4-£5 a pint? It’s ridiculous. Get £2-£3 pints on offer and I bet a lot of people would do it, both before and after the match.

Where you buying a decent pint for £2-£3? You're lucky to get a pint under £4.50 in town these days, why would a football stadium be any different?