The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was just thinking about that game. Possibly Williams against Arsenal in Koeman's first year as well. I'm probably being harsh on the fans really. Most of it is down to the players who have served up some of the most boring seasons in our history.

When we played Liverpool in the FA cup last year I had a conversation similar to this with the guy next to me. We were trying to think of times the team had pulled a performance out the bag and the most recent we could come up with then was the City 4-0. That game was poised at 1-1 at the time and we were basically just willing the players to play without fear and to do it.. but as per we bottled it and ended up losing. It's happened so much over the years that we've bottled moments like that I think the players (past & present but mostly present) do have to shoulder most of the blame.

I got a season ticket three years ago I think and best atmosphere I can remember is vs Chelsea in the FA cup when we won 2-0 and Rom scored a corker. It was rocking then.
Without wanting to appear patronising, I genuinely do feel sorry for the likes of yourself as in the mainstay you're getting a substandard atmosphere / experience.

Well at least compared to what it was less than a decade ago without going further back. Let's be honest, it wasn't always amazing but it was generally better.

There are a few like you mention (Chelsea in the cup, Arsenal when we won 2-1) and they were great, but there's not enough of these moments these days.

Even against some absolute dross, if we needed a goal the place would rock and if a decision went unfairly against us then you knew the crowd would react.

We have always forgiven mistakes if the fight is there. Keane for me is the slowest most hapless and biggest waste of money centre half I have seen in many, many years BUT if he crunches into a tackle I will be up screaming encouragement and willing him to go on and continue to play well.

When you have the likes of complete fannies like Walcott/Gomez bottling out of challeneges and just jogging around I shout for them to be taken off.

That is our culture and I hope it doesnt change.

The crowd reacts to the actions on the pitch , show fight, contest the ball, chase down hopeless causes and the crowd will lift and get behind you, trouble is you neee at least 5-6 of the players doing it and that’s not happening. It’s fine gana doing it but then he doesn’t do it every minute , the crowd needs something to happen to react to, watching the gk kicking itvout of play or our defenders struggling to keep possession doesn’t exactly make you want to jump up and make noise

Without wanting to appear patronising, I genuinely do feel sorry for the likes of yourself as in the mainstay you're getting a substandard atmosphere / experience.

Well at least compared to what it was less than a decade ago without going further back. Let's be honest, it wasn't always amazing but it was generally better.

There are a few like you mention (Chelsea in the cup, Arsenal when we won 2-1) and they were great, but there's not enough of these moments these days.

Even against some absolute dross, if we needed a goal the place would rock and if a decision went unfairly against us then you knew the crowd would react.

Years ago there was some absolutely brilliant footage of 10 minutes after that Arteta goal on YouTube. The place was literally shaking and Bill was crying (no surprises there).

I know in true Everton fashion we messed it up in the end but it was still one hell of a night. I look back on that time with fond memories now. In fact, those memories seem to improve year by year.

Years ago there was some absolutely brilliant footage of 10 minutes after that goal on YouTube. The place was literally shaking and Bill was crying (no surprises there).

I know in true Everton fashion we messed it up in the end but it was still one hell of a night. I look back on that time with fond memories now. In fact, those memories seem to improve year by year.
I remember seeing a lad, mustn't have been any older than twelve, literally swinging from the rafters at the back of the Street End and ending up in the crowd.

Heaven knows how he got up there as it's much higher than your reach, but there he was. There's been a few times when I thought the Upper would fall in as well.

Or when you'd come down the back steps at the end of a game and everyone would be singing. Like you say, they're fond memories and nostalgia is setting in.

Definitely. You get yourself settled in thinking it could be a special game and we are 2-0 down within 10 minutes. This current group of players are the weakest in my life time.

I know the relegation teams of the 90s were poor but that was down to them being crap at football. Could you imagine this lot going 2-0 down to Wimbledon? Pack up and go home.
I can imagine it...because this lot is bad enough for that to happen.
But I get the gist of your rhetorical question...if "this lot" goes down even 1-0 against anybody, they wont win. They're such a soft-bellied team that they're unlikeable ...difficult to support...which brings us full circle back to 'the crowd' issue.

chicken and egg

When Graham Stuart scored the third goal against Wimbledon to stay up in 1994.

You could feel the ground vibrating due to the noise levels.

When Graham Stuart scored the third goal against Wimbledon to stay up in 1994.

You could feel the ground vibrating due to the noise levels.
Back then, I would sit to the far left of the Street End (if you're facing the pitch) and quite close to the front with only a few rows in front of me - always got wet.

When Horne scored, I literally leapt forward hoping to jump on the person who sat in front of me but he'd moved, so I ended up smacking my head on a seat!

Back then, I would sit to the far left of the Street End (if you're facing the pitch) and quite close to the front with only a few rows in front of me - always got wet.

When Horne scored, I literally leapt forward hoping to jump on the person who sat in front of me but he'd moved, so I ended up smacking my head on a seat!

I was right at the back of the Street End, dead centre against the wall and when the third went in, ended up tumbling about six rows down locked in an embrace with an old fella.

I`ll never forget that day and the night out afterwards !!!!

My eldest lad ( 12 ) always says to me that he wishes he`d been born when football wasn`t boring - meaning pre Sky.

How sad is that :(
It's sad that this generation and those who follow them will unlikely be able to witness and take part in the experience that we did, amongst so many before us.

I even look back semi-fondly on the occasional scrap with opposition fans before and after the game, although if I'm honest I wouldn't wish for it to come back.

I remember the united fans out-singing us for full 90 minuted on Moyes' return when we beat them and Moyes was sacked. That was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.