Where is our luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't change mentality in 10 games mate neither. You don't just turn up and completely change 16 years of losing mentality since Moyes arrived in a few months .

We have the players to potentially change this mindset but you tell a team over 16 years that we are the underdogs and eventually it sticks and we lose finals , semi finals etc.

All we had to do was not concede against city. All we had to do was score Vs united. All we had to do was contain Liverpool. All we had to do is finish Chelsea, or go at them with their 10 men.

All we ever have to do, yet we don't? We only ever had to take chances ever, why don't we then time and time again?

We would probably have won had we converted two sitters yesterday... I don't see what that's got to do with mentality other than it showing we went there to have a go.

We had more efforts than any team at Anfield in the league this season. More attempts on target than the mighty Man City. Even Klopp had the humility to say we were the hardest team they've faced.

It's all for nothing, I know, because of a mistake. But it's got F all to do with mentality, really.

....yesterday wasn’t bad luck, it was bad judgement. We need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Vin Dijk spooning that ball 30 yards into the air and it landing straight onto the top of the bar... He couldn't do that again if he tried 500 times from the position he did it. It was just a total freak occurrence.

Although I do agree that it was a major error, it certainly was incredibly lucky for them.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Vin Dijk spooning that ball 30 yards into the air and it landing straight onto the top of the bar... He couldn't do that again if he tried 500 times from the position he did it. It was just a total freak occurrence.

Although I do agree that it was a major error, it certainly was incredibly lucky for them.

For all the moments like that we’ll always have when Gerrard slipped and Karius threw a ball into Benzema.

As for us if we keep improving as we are then our luck will turn. I remember City being done in the last minute by Michael Owen at Old Trafford and also being beaten by Spurs in why was effectively a play off for the CL. They just kept on buying top players and hiring good managers and they won 6-1 at Old Trafford and qualified for the CL. We need to come back next year with the exact same level of performance.

For all the moments like that we’ll always have when Gerrard slipped and Karius threw a ball into Benzema.

As for us if we keep improving as we are then our luck will turn. I remember City being done in the last minute by Michael Owen at Old Trafford and also being beaten by Spurs in why was effectively a play off for the CL. They just kept on buying top players and hiring good managers and they won 6-1 at Old Trafford and qualified for the CL. We need to come back next year with the exact same level of performance.

I'll never be convinced by anyone that they aren't a lucky side, but yes, those are glorious moments that give me the faintest bit of hope that the RS are always building themselves up for a catastrophic failure. Hopefully the same thing happens again this season.

Definitely agree with the second part of your post. This match has been and gone and as crap as the feeling is, there are far more positives than negatives moving forward.

It wasn't that long ago we were getting the absolute piss taken out of us 2 out of 3 years at Anfield 4-0 under Martinez. Give me that kind of performance we saw yesterday, even with the heartbreaker at the end, over those types of lie down and die performances any day of the week.

I'll never be convinced by anyone that they aren't a lucky side, but yes, those are glorious moments that give me the faintest bit of hope that the RS are always building themselves up for a catastrophic failure. Hopefully the same thing happens again this season.

Definitely agree with the second part of your post. This match has been and gone and as crap as the feeling is, there are far more positives than negatives moving forward.

It wasn't that long ago we were getting the absolute piss taken out of us 2 out of 3 years at Anfield 4-0 under Martinez. Give me that kind of performance we saw yesterday, even with the heartbreaker at the end, over those types of lie down and die performances any day of the week.

Oh no I definitely agree with you they are beyond a lucky side. They’re effectively a decent top 6 team that through amazing luck have had experiences in Europe that most true heavyweights don’t get near. It’s got to the point that when they fall short they think it’s bad luck rather than the absurdity of seeing a team as limited as Liverpool in a CL final or a team with Flanagan Mignolet Sakho and Victor Moses in the back leading the league by 6 points with three to play.

If this season goes by the quality of team then Liverpool will finish somewhere between a distant second and 5th and will be nowhere near the CL. Given what they’re like though they’ll probably inexplicably spawn their way into contention for both.

....yesterday wasn’t bad luck, it was bad judgement. We need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.
We can argue that in a lot of the big games this season, some big refereeing calls have gone against us. That wasn't the case yesterday. In fact the ref was arguably man of the match (sorry Andre).

A series of missed chances (again) prevented us from winning our first away derby in 20 years, and a very uncharacteristic mistake from possibly our best and most consistent player cost us a point.

Still hurting like mad at the way events unfolded yesterday, but as an Evertonian, I haven't felt as confident or optimistic as I do now for 30 years. I think your post the other day Eggs, the one about the 84 League cup final replay, showed fantastic insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.