January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those saying Wan Bissaka. If you were Palace and fighting a relegation battle would you sell him?

Considering Palace's valuation of Zaha (which is correct imo opinion down to what value he is to THEM), i very much doubt Palace would risk letting Wan Bissaka go for anything less than 40m

Alot of people are forgetting that the South American championships end in December. Hence why Barrios was kept by his chairman and @Eggs has been saying he may be available in jan.

Lets not forget that Brands loves the South American market and that weve been linked with Militao (before/after he went to Porto and also of course Barrios himself..

So id not be surprised to see a south american come in.

I would love Barrios but I also think there could be some legs join the Barbosa links. Also possibly a left field lone. Malcolm maybe?

I think its unlikely we'll sign anybody in January and that's fine. A window without churn wouldn't do any harm whilst Silva is still bedding down his ideas and methods.

There was talk of Gabriel Barbosa on loan, but another loan would be problematic I think. Having three players on loan going into the summer would put a lot of pressure on us to sign them all permanently if that was the plan. Loans are great in general and we have an excellent record in utilising that market, but we have to keep our options open.

I would love Barrios but I also think there could be some legs join the Barbosa links. Also possibly a left field lone. Malcolm maybe?
Malcolm might be an option although a pricey one and if we are looking at RW I’d say Lozano would be Brands first choice if available
Barrios while a good player occupies the same position as Gana so in my mind not a priority
Barbosa I know nothing about except what I’ve read
He signed for Inter for 30m Euro and he’s 2 years into a 5 yr deal so won’t be cheap
He failed at Inter and in Portugal and is now back on a year long loan till Jan 19
Maybe he is not suited to European football or maybe he just gets homesick
The fact that he prolific in Brazil and can’t even get game time in Portugal makes me a bit uneasy on him

Considering Palace's valuation of Zaha (which is correct imo opinion down to what value he is to THEM), i very much doubt Palace would risk letting Wan Bissaka go for anything less than 40m

I think Wan Bissaka shouts are a little premature. For me, anything over £20mil is a massive risk for him at this stage. There are plenty of players who manage a good half season in the Prem but can't sustain it once opposition teams wise up to them and start targetting their weaknesses. He may come good, and we may have competition from the top 6 in a year or so as a result, but I think we'd be gambling paying big money for him now.

I think the profile of Digne is much more what we should look for. Early - mid 20s, international, played at a high level / top club but would relish regular football and the chance to play in the Prem - Brands has managed to find one before so let's hope he can do it again!

I think Wan Bissaka shouts are a little premature. For me, anything over £20mil is a massive risk for him at this stage. There are plenty of players who manage a good half season in the Prem but can't sustain it once opposition teams wise up to them and start targetting their weaknesses. He may come good, and we may have competition from the top 6 in a year or so as a result, but I think we'd be gambling paying big money for him now.

I think the profile of Digne is much more what we should look for. Early - mid 20s, international, played at a high level / top club but would relish regular football and the chance to play in the Prem - Brands has managed to find one before so let's hope he can do it again!

As other posters have said Brands targeting younger players who either made the step up too early in their development or it just didn’t work out for them

Am I alone in not wanting us to sign anyone in January? Obviously, if a top striker became available and would realistically come here then I would want that to happen but I don't see that happening. Otherwise, a period of stability in an improving squad with competition for places in most positions would be a good thing, in my opinion. Keep the checkbook locked up until summer, Mr Moshiri!

Am I alone in not wanting us to sign anyone in January? Obviously, if a top striker became available and would realistically come here then I would want that to happen but I don't see that happening. Otherwise, a period of stability in an improving squad with competition for places in most positions would be a good thing, in my opinion. Keep the checkbook locked up until summer, Mr Moshiri!

If Brands identifies the right player at the right price and he’s available then why not buy him

If Brands identifies the right player at the right price and he’s available then why not buy him
Because it might disrupt the squad. I'm not saying we shouldn't buy anyone necessarily but we can't keep buying player after player. We have had enormous amounts of churn in the playing staff since Moshiri arrived and, until recently, I think that has been a negative for the club. There seems to be a great spirit in the squad and a huge upturn in performances. I just worry about messing with that.

Because it might disrupt the squad. I'm not saying we shouldn't buy anyone necessarily but we can't keep buying player after player. We have had enormous amounts of churn in the playing staff since Moshiri arrived and, until recently, I think that has been a negative for the club. There seems to be a great spirit in the squad and a huge upturn in performances. I just worry about messing with that.

I think we can do without in January, and we could reap the benefits of a period of stability.

Longer term, your concerns are valid, but there is no question the squad needs a lot more work over the next 1-2 years so further change will be inevitable and necessary.

I'm confident in how that will be managed though, for the first time since Martinez' first season. Not only have our signings last summer all seem to be fit for purpose on the pitch, but they all seem to be genuinely good lads too. It takes effort and planning, but there is no reason why new signings in that vein can't be made in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.