New Everton Stadium Discussion

No mate. Both stadiums were built by the respective councils with Central Government funding as part of a public project. City’s stadium was sold many years later as part of a larger land deal for their owners to invest in improving east Manchester which they’ve continued to do. West ham’s Stadium is still owned by the council and rented to them. Under Uncle Joe’s proposal the council would be lending a private business central government money (which until brexit happens is effectively EU money (or governed by eu rules) so although it would be good for local jobs and for LCC too it’s not a true public infrastructure project. Investment in the wider North Liverpool area would be ok but loaning the money direct to EFC for a stadium enters the grey area of eu state aid to a private business. Had our city won the commonwealth games then Joe’s plan would easily have passed the rules etc

Hi mate, The Etihad stadium is still rented off the Manchester City Council. The reason that Man City haven't bought it outright is because a large portion of any profits made by MCC from a sale would have to be returned to the European fund where it came from. This way MCC will continue to make a profit far beyond the time as such a rental deal is paid off. Cities owners are happy to do this as it helps them to have a really good relationship with the council.
The biggest complication that I have heard, but have no evidence of, is that City pay a portion of gate receipts to the council as part of the rental agreement based upon the original capacity only. The more they expand, the smaller the % of gate they pay.

Hi mate, The Etihad stadium is still rented off the Manchester City Council. The reason that Man City haven't bought it outright is because a large portion of any profits made by MCC from a sale would have to be returned to the European fund where it came from. This way MCC will continue to make a profit far beyond the time as such a rental deal is paid off. Cities owners are happy to do this as it helps them to have a really good relationship with the council.
The biggest complication that I have heard, but have no evidence of, is that City pay a portion of gate receipts to the council as part of the rental agreement based upon the original capacity only. The more they expand, the smaller the % of gate they pay.

Manchester council must be skint then

I've just walked into ours and caught a snippet on the radio hearing that "the club have agreed to suspend proceeding any further with planning for the new stadium based purely on the stark reality with regards the financing of the capital project"
Not knowing which club the piece was about, but strongly suspecting it was Everton, I checked on the BBC website to find out it was Bournemouth the club involved.
I suppose it highlights the big issues surrounding financing such massive projects.

I've just walked into ours and caught a snippet on the radio hearing that "the club have agreed to suspend proceeding any further with planning for the new stadium based purely on the stark reality with regards the financing of the capital project"
Not knowing which club the piece was about, but strongly suspecting it was Everton, I checked on the BBC website to find out it was Bournemouth the club involved.
I suppose it highlights the big issues surrounding financing such massive projects.

Trying to give me a heart attack there!! :red::p

Not a valid comparison fortunately. They are owned by a number of shareholders, one of the bigger of whom has stakes in several clubs in different leagues, including Dundalk in the League of Ireland. Peculiar strategy. Having one owner - effectively and leaving aside the Usmanov question - means that decisions should be easier made. In this case, having several shareholders agree to contribute to a project in the hundreds of millions wouldn't be an easy ask.

Harking back to my earlier post this morning, I started to wonder exactly what reactions there would be if Everton actually did have to announce that the new stadium dream had stalled permanently.

My initial response would be not renewing my ST as at present one of the reasons I've kept hold of it is hoping it would guarantee a seat at BMD.