• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we start winning away games regularly then the typical Everton mentality will not have changed. We have to be going to Bournemouth looking to win not being ecstatic with a point.
Definitely. Ever since I can remember, we’ve always been terrible in away games, never looking to actually get the points.

A team like Everton should be beating the Bournemouth’s of the league wherever we are playing them.
. And feel confident of taking points off all last year's top 4 away from home. It's a steady start but neither of our two opponents thus far are going to set the Premier league alight this season.
Given the way we attacked Wolves away, even when down to 10 men, I'd be surprised if we sat back at the weekend.

As regards the top 4, I can see us playing a little bit deeper with the plan to hit them at pace on the counter. Whatever, I think the intention will be to go for all the points irrespective of who we're playing. No more playing for draws.

Given the way we attacked Wolves away, even when down to 10 men, I'd be surprised if we sat back at the weekend.

As regards the top 4, I can see us playing a little bit deeper with the plan to hit them at pace on the counter. Whatever, I think the intention will be to go for all the points irrespective of who we're playing. No more playing for draws.

I think that's been our problem, personally, Fred.

We seem to always concede what we are decent at (which hasn't been much) in order to survive.

Against the top 4 i'd go full pelt. If we get leathered, we get leathered. But the confused message of "we are building a football club to be successful" but then show our arse to any decent team will come back to haunt us.

Go to the RS, defend high but press high- put that defence under pressure, have Keita wonder what the bloody hell has hit him and turn that CM into a bloodbath.

It may be suicide at present but i'd rather us go out on our sword for once. Play the same way against Utd, Arsenal etc and we have nothing to fear.

We seem to always concede what we are decent at (which hasn't been much) in order to survive.

Against the top 4 i'd go full pelt. If we get leathered, we get leathered. But the confused message of "we are building a football club to be successful" but then show our arse to any decent team will come back to haunt us.

Go to the RS, defend high but press high- put that defence under pressure, have Keita wonder what the bloody hell has hit him and turn that CM into a bloodbath.

It may be suicide at present but i'd rather us go out on our sword for once. Play the same way against Utd, Arsenal etc and we have nothing to fear.
Not a case of showing our arse though mate. Just a different tactic. We'll still play a heavy pressing game, but in our own half rather than theirs. They'll be playing a high line so will be open to the quick counter too. And we can have a very quick attack too if we pick the right players.

We'll be compact in defence, but provided when we do counter we do it in numbers and with real purpose and intent, I think it's a great tactic against the likes of City and Liverpool especially.

Thing is, that's fine in theory but we don't really like it in practice. When we got beat 4-0 at Anfield having had 61% possession and 19 shots, nobody came on here and said 'wasn't it great to see us having a go?'. If you go toe to toe with teams who are better than you, you will usually lose, and often lose badly, so I can completely understand (and agree with) the decision to change things when you're playing a better side.

The key for me is to have a good manager/coach who is capable of devising different ways of playing depending on who the opposition is. I have no interest in seeing us going to City and playing like we did against Wolves, because, frankly, they'd annihilate us and potentially shake both the players and fans faith in the system and tactics. Then again, nor would I want to see us play like we did there last season, showing absolutely no ambition at all after going a goal up. A happy medium is fine, acknowledging that you're playing a team who can hurt you but still having every intention of attacking whenever you can. If Silva can start to find a balance that our last few managers have failed to in that respect, I'll be very happy.

Even SAF lost by 5 goals quite a few times, mate.
I know, I’m full of respect for Marco, not even worried by Citeh. They are decent, but sitting back and taking a hiding is not the way to beat them. Think Silva can spring a counter on them. If it fails it fails. But, confident we will have a go.

Thing is, that's fine in theory but we don't really like it in practice. When we got beat 4-0 at Anfield having had 61% possession and 19 shots, nobody came on here and said 'wasn't it great to see us having a go?'. If you go toe to toe with teams who are better than you, you will usually lose, and often lose badly, so I can completely understand (and agree with) the decision to change things when you're playing a better side.

The key for me is to have a good manager/coach who is capable of devising different ways of playing depending on who the opposition is. I have no interest in seeing us going to City and playing like we did against Wolves, because, frankly, they'd annihilate us and potentially shake both the players and fans faith in the system and tactics. Then again, nor would I want to see us play like we did there last season, showing absolutely no ambition at all after going a goal up. A happy medium is fine, acknowledging that you're playing a team who can hurt you but still having every intention of attacking whenever you can. If Silva can start to find a balance that our last few managers have failed to in that respect, I'll be very happy.
Funnily enough I was thinking of that same match when I read that post. I remember my RS mate saying to me it's the best he's seen Everton play against them, and all I could think was condescending little @#X>.

Status
Not open for further replies.