"Will Everton's failed gamble mean top six disappear over horizon? " - Guardian Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that article this morning. While at first it may seem to make sense there is one major flaw with it. The "big 6" they refer to has only existed for a couple of seasons. For about 15 years prior, it was the big 4. This means of course that the name will change again depending on where the rs and man utd finish in the league, so next season we could be talking about the big 4 again or the big 7.

I look forward to it being the big 20......

We are so far behind the top 6 that anyone thinking we will challenge them this season is deluded. I'm not saying we can't fluke it or suddenly click but once again we're realistically looking at 7th-8th with a possible cup challenge.
And its a shame because we werent that far off spurs and the others 3 or 4 years ago. Lukaku scored goals to maintain some sort of respect and we had dcl up front after that. What did they think was going to happen. Hopefully we will add some youth enegry and pace to the team now. But i agree its the best of the rest now for couple years.

Awful article if you ask me can't even follow the logic the journalist is attempting to convey.
To even suggest what we spent in last summer's transfer window was a gamble is nonsense, it will take sustained spending of several transfer windows to even start to gamble... Koemen and Walsh were the gamble...

Where we end up depends on what Brands can do over the next 4 or 5 windows. If he does a really good job we might break the top 6. (Like Southampton did under Koeman a few years back)

Where we end up depends on what Brands can do over the next 4 or 5 windows. If he does a really good job we might break the top 6. (Like Southampton did under Koeman a few years back)

Depends on Silva too and his man management/motivation of the players we get

Challenging for the league is never impossible when talking about the future. It just becomes infinitely more challenging if you make bad business decisions.

Terrible premise for the piece: "the top 6 clubs of the last two seasons cant be broken up". A ludicrous statement that will ALWAYS be proven wrong."

Mind you, it is from Paul Wilson who, along with his Guardian co-hack Andy Hunter, is consistently wrong on everything he writes about Everton.

The man is a buffoon.
Absolutely right, who can say what will happen in the future, it may not be Everton, it could be any team being taken over by very wealthy owners.

More 'Big 6' nonsense.

A pathetic attempt of inclusion for the so called elite where Arsenal finished in 6th, 7 points behind the side above them, 12 points behind the top 4, and 37 off the top. Didn't win a trophy either but 'the 14' are supposed to accept our belittling as also rans who are there to make up the numbers and look up in awe of the 'big clubs' like Arsenal.

I'm pretty sure we were excluded from being part of a 'Big 7' in 16/17 because of us being adrift of the side above us.

2dz7gd.jpg

And its a shame because we werent that far off spurs and the others 3 or 4 years ago. Lukaku scored goals to maintain some sort of respect and we had dcl up front after that. What did they think was going to happen. Hopefully we will add some youth enegry and pace to the team now. But i agree its the best of the rest now for couple years.
Spurs went through a similar situation then built a squad after Bales departure. We’ve wasted the Lukaku money unfortunately. We now need patience and good management to see if we can do it.

what a load of crap, the RS finished 8th two seasons ago, it's only been two seasons in a row of this so called top 6 finishing as the top 6 and everyone is pretending like they're miles ahead. We were utterly horrific last season, but we were also severly hampered by injuries, there's every chance we could break it this year with better luck. We're shouldn't really be pitted alongside those teams they mention and hopefully this season we'll show why.

Extra revenue is why every team is spending a lot more, it's not because they're all trying to break into the top six.

I read that article this morning. While at first it may seem to make sense there is one major flaw with it. The "big 6" they refer to has only existed for a couple of seasons. For about 15 years prior, it was the big 4. This means of course that the name will change again depending on where the rs and man utd finish in the league, so next season we could be talking about the big 4 again or the big 7.

i made a post a few months back showing how we've finished in the top 7 a lot more over the last 10 seasons than this mythical top 6 has finished as the top 6. They're the media's favourite six teams atm that's all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.