Does Moyes' reign look better with hindsight given the dismal performances of his successors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody would have took Moyes knowing we'd go 10 years without winning a trophy or away at a top club.
Nobody would take another 10 years of Moyes now.

Short term history will remember him with rose tinted specs.

Long term will strip away any context will have him down as an Everton failure.

He did well at first. He did a decent job and I am thankful to him for that.

That's all it was for me though.

For what he didn't get in money he got back in stability. It was his club, he could do what he liked with it. That's a rarity in football.

Why was he given such freedom and free reign? Because that's literally all bill could give him, imagine if bill tried to interfere ? We literally could not attract anyone else, Moyes was on 400k a year when he signed, low salary, no financial backing, selling your best players to balance books nobody else would have produced what he did under those circumstances

I think if you put a player like Lukaku in a moyes team he may have actually helped the team push on a bit, unlike with his successors Martinez and Koeman where Lukaku's impact on the team didn't improve our standing overall.

Why was he given such freedom and free reign? Because that's literally all bill could give him, imagine if bill tried to interfere ? We literally could not attract anyone else, Moyes was on 400k a year when he signed, low salary, no financial backing, selling your best players to balance books nobody else would have produced what he did under those circumstances

You couldn't possibly know that.

We did offer decent wages and always resigned our existing players on better deals (laughably so in some instances). In terms of wages we were probably about right when it came to league position.

As I said he did a decent/good job. To say nobody else could do it is just ridiculous though. Nobody else gets 11 years anyway.

I think if you put a player like Lukaku in a moyes team he may have actually helped the team push on a bit, unlike with his successors Martinez and Koeman where Lukaku's impact on the team didn't improve our standing overall.

Moyes seemed to think the best way to use Lukaku was to pump balls up to him to win headers so probably not.

Anyway he had Yakubu, another quality striker.

Nobody would have took Moyes knowing we'd go 10 years without winning a trophy or away at a top club.
Nobody would take another 10 years of Moyes now.

Short term history will remember him with rose tinted specs.

Long term will strip away any context will have him down as an Everton failure.

Well History will probably remember a few wins away at City, Spurs & a big cup win at Chelsea.

Moyes seemed to think the best way to use Lukaku was to pump balls up to him to win headers so probably not.

Anyway he had Yakubu, another quality striker.

There's been some myths repeated in this thread but I must have missed Lukaku in an Everton shirt pre West Ham 2013?

You couldn't possibly know that.

We did offer decent wages and always resigned our existing players on better deals (laughably so in some instances). In terms of wages we were probably about right when it came to league position.

As I said he did a decent/good job. To say nobody else could do it is just ridiculous though. Nobody else gets 11 years anyway.

Moyes was the lowest paid manager in the prem when signed from Preston. He was on 400k a year about 8k a week. He was given no financial backing and inherited a Walter smith side that couldn't score in a brothel. He saved us in his first season and had a bad second season, finished 4th the next and from then on he had us 5-6th for the mojority of his stay on probably the wrist budget I can remember any prem club having . Moyes had run of the place because bill knew that Moyes was the only thing between him and a fans backlash. Nobody would have came here if he walked , no money, having to sell players it's a hiding to nothing for any new manager. No prem manager has worked under such strict financial conditions that I can remember. We were close to going bankrupt a few times , we would sell one of our players late in the window and it would never be seen again.

For most it didn't take hindsight to appreciate what Moyes did. A bit different on the forums for sure, but most fans could see that Moyes was doing a good job for us at the time. He spent as many years in all his time with us in the bottom half as Martinez did in his three years.

Sure he hit a glass ceiling, but these days we get neck ache looking up at that ceiling.

People argue that he had time which is better than money.... But ultimately he had time because he did well in spite of having no money.

Status
Not open for further replies.